Space Telescope Science Institute

Nice atmosphere

Former Employee - Software Engineer Intern  in  Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Software Engineer Intern in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Space Telescope Science Institute as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Nice office, warm atmosphere, great location and amazing cafeteria. The working hours are flexible and employees are encouraged to work from home once a week.

Cons

Main con is the fact that things move slowly in the office. For security and bureaucracy reasons, the projects take longer than they should. Communication between teams to reach agreement brings even more overhead to the projects.

Career dead-end, unfortunately

Current Employee - Engineer
    Current Employee - Engineer

I have been working at Space Telescope Science Institute full-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexibility in working from home, nice (but pricey) cafeteria, free parking, retirement fund matching, nice people, models of space telescopes strewn about

Cons

Baltimore is not an ideal location, low pay, overcrowding of office space, promotions difficult to come by, few opportunities to broaden skill set

Attract younger hires

Great place to work at.

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Space Telescope Science Institute full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Exciting projects, interesting people and academic atmosphere. Many opportunities to learn through provided trainings or through available lectures. Ability to have very flexible schedule, allowing one to work from home.

Cons

It is a government organization, so promotions are slow, no money is allocated to team building exercises, some technology in use are quite old, mostly because that is what people used to.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

df

Former Employee - Business Systems Analyst/Desktop Support  in  Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Business Systems Analyst/Desktop Support in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Space Telescope Science Institute as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

The people and positive energy they gave out was a great environment to work in. I was given enough autonomy to get my project of finding the most effective and efficient Document Management System for the Business Department. This was my project, and if I had any questions, I would just go to my boss, who by the way, was a great person and a great boss.

Cons

In regards to getting some direction for future projects, I was given very little. This position was to become permanent and my boss vouched for me to stay on board for he "... Needed a person with my exact skill set and demeanor," but my position ended up not being budgeted in for 2013-2014

If they truly wanted to bring me in, then something like allocating budget monies towards a new FTE should not be very difficult.

Fulfilling experience, but don't expect to be paid a lot.

Former Employee - Research and Instrument Analyst  in  Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Research and Instrument Analyst in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Space Telescope Science Institute full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Perfect environment for a self-motivated, multi-tasker. Always working on 2-5 projects at a time, allows you to never be bored. The STScI personnel become like family. Scientists and support staff work hand in hand to complete astronomical projects.

Cons

The pay is on the low end of comparative jobs in the area. This is likely because STScI isn't a corporate entity, it is an research non-profit.

A diverse group of people

Former Employee - Accounting  in  Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Accounting in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Space Telescope Science Institute full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Gives you an opportunity to work in a global environment. You are exposed to different cultures and that gives you an opportunity to grow as a person.

Cons

If you part of the support system for the science it offers very little growth opportunity professionally. Some management do not encourage you to expand your knowledge even though it is a learning environment.

Great place to work

I have been working at Space Telescope Science Institute full-time for less than a year

Pros

Amazing benefits and great staff

Cons

Hard to get promoted for science staff

Worked for Space Telescope Science Institute? Contribute to the Community!