Spacelabs Healthcare

Updated Mar 24, 2014

Spacelabs Healthcare CEO Deepak Chopra

Deepak Chopra

My dream job!

Executive Assistant (Current Employee)

I have been working at Spacelabs Healthcare

ProsGreat fellow employees, great boss, great benefits, great location, competitive pay

ConsExisting silos, but senior management is working hard to change the environment

Workaholic culture, the company owns you once you start.

I have been working at Spacelabs Healthcare

ProsThe company offers a great foundation of high-tech medical capital equipment, coupled with in-depth IT infrastructure experience which can open the door to better employment opportunities down the road. If you have a large installed base of customers you can earn a very good living, but if that is lacking, you will be constantly clawing at the heels of much larger, more resourceful, and better respected competitors.

ConsWork/life balance is non-existent. You are expected to work all day in the field and then attend meetings/conf calls in the evening frequently, in addition to working on weekends and holidays. If you go on vacation and something blows up at one of your accounts, you will be called and potentially have come home early to address the issue. In addition to all the meetings, reps spend too much time on slow, antiquated, cumbersome technology "productivity" tools for quoting and account management (Lotus Notes), and compiling all the mandatory Bluesheets and reports needed by management, which gives you very little time for actual prospecting of new business. Middle management loves to continuously tell all the stories of the people they have fired over the years, which makes for a very uncomfortable and stressful environment-your job is never safe here. Necessary support personnel for presentations, implementations, and training are slim and over-booked, so it's a constant juggling act of meeting customer timelines and scheduling SL personnel-which leads to poor customer perception that we don't have our act together. They will regale you with the riches that await you in the bonus plan (true if you're 250% of quota) but overall comp at plan is pretty average (if not on the low end, if you take into consideration all the "overtime" you put in). Overall, there are many other medical device sales positions out there with less stress, better products, and better balance for the same, if not more, money.

Advice to Senior ManagementRetire. Most of the senior management has come from long tenures at previous competitors and don't understand the Spacelabs differentiators. Invest consistently in R&D so your sales executives are not selling the same equipment they did in the 90's.

Great place to work.

Software Test Engineer II (Current Employee)

I have been working at Spacelabs Healthcare

ProsGreat technology & products, fantastic but aging work force.

ConsNever know when the axe might fall.

Advice to Senior ManagementSenoir management needs to understand that software development always takes twice the time anticipated.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Economy showing weakness in Senior Management.

Sales Representative (Former Employee)

I worked at Spacelabs Healthcare

Proshow the monitors connect with the hospitals network is the best in the industry. Field staff, including sales, service and nurse educators are dedicated to winning business and taking care of the customers

ConsOld product line. Senior management is reactive because it is very thin, resources are thin throughout the company.

Advice to Senior Managementif the other parts of the organization, especially product development, were held accountable to performance as strictly as the sales organization - Spacelabs would be much better off.

When I was hired last year I was told Spacelabs felt like a big family. It felt that way for a few months, but that feeling is gone by everybody I spoke with recently in the company.

Worked for Spacelabs Healthcare? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Spacelabs Healthcare reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Spacelabs Healthcare CEO Deepak Chopra . All 24 reviews posted anonymously by Spacelabs Healthcare employees.