Spansion

www.spansion.com

Spansion Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014
Spansion – Austin – “Spansion B4”

Spansion President, CEO, and Director John H. Kispert

John H. Kispert

Pros
  • Also, there was a good work life balance(in 9 reviews)

• Good place to work with lots of good people; laid back as most places in Austin are(in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • The employees seem to have diminishing faith and confidence in the company because of numerous lay-offs(in 5 reviews)

• no benefits, no bonus, conventional (no WFHs), longer promotion cycle, not willing to take risks at all, random shutdowns(in 4 reviews)

Laid back... high attrition

Product Engineer (Current Employee)

ProsVery laid back. Salary is par with industry. My manager sincerely values my skills and makes an effort to promote my career growth.

ConsThe employees seem to have diminishing faith and confidence in the company because of numerous lay-offs. Which is one of the main reasons for the high attrition rate.

Politics is also rampant as you go higher up in the ranks.

Cafeteria is dead, building is old, IT infrastructure and systems are vintage.

Didn't like it too much

ProsI had a job that paid ok

ConsDidn't like it and they didn't help me grow

Spansion was born out of AMD (Advanced Micro Devices). A good company with good benefits. Employee oriented.

Parts Repair for Fab Tools (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsFair pay and good benefits

ConsWork can be monotonous and work politics are starting to be a pain.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of the cronyism. Start rebuilding the company loyalty that AMD once fostered. Monitor the engineers.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Sr. Engineer

ProsWork / Life balance is good

ConsCan not keep valuable employee

Great people but no job security

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsA lot of good people work for Spansion
    There is opportunity for career growth if you can manage to stay at the company
    A lot of internal promotions

ConsLots of lay-offs
    Males are highly favored in management positions

good work environment, learned a lot

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosgood company to work for
    good for analog design engineers
    ok for digital design engineers

ConsLot of layoffs over the years as the NOR FLASH memory market is shrinking
    company needs to expand on the product line

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to develop more new product lines that leverage NOR flash technology
    get into nand business

Enduring commitment to survival and progress

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsVery high levels of accountability, strong commitment to continuous improvement, stable work force. Very experienced management team.

ConsA bit tight with cash, deteriorating human resources practices. Misalignment of bonus system with overall corporate and department success. Compensation is generally good, more or less aligned with the remainder of the sector.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe careful of alienating highly experienced people. You need them. Clean up the bonus system, it does not seem to be well aligned with overall corporate performance.

Spansion gave me the foundation of a lifetime in Semiconductor Manufacturing

Engineering (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsManagement gives Engineers freedom to develop their careers in an exciting facility.

ConsNo longer an international experience after Fujitsu split.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpansion's management team is very knowledgeable.

Worst company I have ever worked for

IT Project Manager (Current Employee)

ProsPros - Cant thing of any

ConsRegular lay offs with a long trail of dead bodies. Be extremely cautious of any promises or incentives made to try to get you to sign up. Everyone is protecting their own interest versus making good choices in order to prevent from being the next to go.

Advice to Senior ManagementChange the corporate culture

A disappointing, dishonest and exploitative employer

Product Engineer (Current Employee) Sunnyvale, CA

Pros- A selection of on-line training courses are available on the company intranet
    - Colleagues at the same or lower level in the company hierarchy are generally helpful
    - Spansion is a fast-moving company and has interesting technology to work on

Cons- Continual and regular (every 18 months) lay-offs make this company a poor career choice. This leads to a culture of everyone being fearful to make important decisions, in case they are the next to be made redundant.
    - For a technology company, investment in engineering and supporting the technical growth of engineering staff comes as an afterthought. Spansion is driven by a short-term desire to achieve quarterly fiscal targets, and little else. Long-range, future-orientated planning is non-existent.
    - Be extremely cautious and wary of any promises or incentives made to try to get you to 'sign-up' during the interview process.

Advice to Senior ManagementPut the interests of the company before your own!

Worked for Spansion? Contribute to the Community!