Spansion
www.spansion.com Sunnyvale, CA 1000 to 5000 Employees

Spansion Reviews

Updated Apr 16, 2014
Spansion – Austin – “Spansion B4”

Spansion President, CEO, and Director John H. Kispert

John H. Kispert

Pros:
  • "Also, there was a good work life balance"
    in 9 reviews
  • "Good place to work with lots of good people; laid back as most places in Austin are"
    in 9 reviews
Cons:
  • "The employees seem to have diminishing faith and confidence in the company because of numerous lay-offs"
    in 5 reviews
  • "no benefits, no bonus, conventional (no WFHs), longer promotion cycle, not willing to take risks at all, random shutdowns"
    in 4 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great engineering, tough business

Process Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Spansion

ProsThe culture is hard-driving and meritocratic, where respect for people is a core value. There are many exceedingly talented people there with best-in-class performance in many areas. Manufacturing systems are a particular strength.

ConsLayoffs and lean hiring since spinning off from AMD and Fujitsu have left a relatively senior workforce--experienced and talented but also somewhat less vibrant than when I arrived. Benefits have been steadily erroded: sabbaticals were reduced several times and then recently eliminated, the old stock options have been replaced with restricted stock (which are all worth less than the taxes paid on them), the stock purchase plan was eliminated and never replaced, counter to promises from senior management (it would have provided the company cash that they so desperately need). The overall NOR flash business is getting smaller--despite generally outworking the competition, believing in a rosy future requires a leap of faith that one of the new, non-NOR efforts will take off, but those efforts have not all been well supported in the most recent cash-preservation-first days.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere have been several bet-the-company decisions that seem poor. The fact that SP1 was built in Japan, with *zero* government incentives probably killed the company (recent AMD, Samsung, and Intel fabs have all gotten $300M to $1.2B in incentives). The analysis that led to that decision seemed driven more by a desire to make Fujitsu happy in the early days of the spinoff than by sound financial analysis. The engineers at SP1 are generally very good and working very hard, but the SP1 startup has been rocky, and of course it was built a year or 2 too soon. The focus on market share above all else should have been rethought years ago. Blaming the competition for "irrational" pricing when we have gained market share every quarter is foolish. Not raising prices (or stopping the decline) when our factories were full and we were still losing money was foolish. Spending as much money as we did refitting the SDC and then not generating any revenue there was not wise. Our foundry strategy has generally been a disaster: paying TSMC for years and then walking away, teaching SMIC how to compete with us, giving our backend operations away such that we've lost much of the vertical integration and control that we once had. If the new executive team thinks that this is the direction the company should go, I hope that they'll rethink it. Our in-house talent is our best asset--be careful about believing promises that others can do better.

a good place to learn

I have been working at Spansion

Prosfriendly and helpful co-workers, good work-life balance, amazing place to learn and grow, salary in par in the top companies in semiconductor industry,

Conslegacy systems and practices, tough market-a shrinking NOR market,falling ASPs,bad financial decisions,slow decision making-(eg)projects getting cancelled just when the project is in the final stages citing poor customer demand for that product. These kind of project cancellations keep happening round the year-an absolute waste of resource and money,placing more emphasis on meeting the unrealistic deadline without ensuring the quality by coming up with a good systems of checks and balances

Advice to Senior Managementget your priorities clear on which projects you want to work,

This company does not care about it's employees.

Product Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Spansion

ProsThe group I worked with was great. The work was usually interesting, and I enjoyed the disappearing "AMD" culture. Generally at the level where work actually gets done, there are a lot of great people.

ConsThey are willing to lay you off without any notice and no severance package, even violating the law. The new CEO, John Kispert, is as incompetent as he is heartless. The layoff stunt in parallel with executive pay increases was a PR nightmare that should never have happened, even just beyond the ethics. They have complete disregard for the welfare of employees. I would never recommend or work for this company again. After all, you could be next.

Advice to Senior ManagementDevelop some basic human decency.

Great people, poor management

Member of Technical Staff (Current Employee)

I have been working at Spansion

ProsIn terms of technology, it is at the forefront. So it is a great place to work with a bunch of highly skilled experts advancing and creating products we can be proud of. Colleagues are great too!

ConsManagement sucks. In this latest economic crisis, the management has shown little respect to its dedicated workforce. They laid off 30% of employees and gave themselves a 10% raise the very next day. Not the way to go, dudes!

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement needs to respect their people.

Spansion, a slow but sure death

Process Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Spansion

ProsSpansion is a great company to work for if you enjoy having time off and not working due to shutdowns, mandatory forced leaves, and layoffs. Thus if you need more time to spend with the kids, a bickering wife, want to take parttime classes, or enjoy working a parttime job, then it's a great place to work. Promotions are on pace with those of other companies although management may vary. You can totally get away with not doing much work and just browsing internet all day as there is not much demand for flash chips these days. Thus you will have ample time to search for other jobs while you wait to be laid off!

ConsDownsides include little job security, paycuts, forced leaves, bad food, no bonus, poor management, low morale, no young employees, low stock price.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement needs to really understand the needs of its employees. Decisions are made regardless of employee input. There is absolutely NO transparency. When things go bad, managements needs to communicate issues right away rather than wait and layoff people without much notice.

Excellent company in need of competent executive leadership and some bridge financing

Director (Current Employee)

I have been working at Spansion

ProsThere is an excellent can-do attitude among almost all employees that fosters innovation and pockets of operational excellence. Particularly in low-cost in-house manufacturing and customer responsiveness, the company does quite well

ConsThe CEO, Bertrand Cambou, does not apply analytical rigor when making important business decisions. He will bankrupt the company if left in place. The balance sheet is weak, making it uncertain whether the company will be able to survive the current downturn.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease improve internal business decision management. We have to get the big decisions--builiding SP1, buying Saifun, suing Samsung--right if the company has any chance to ride out the downturn with our terrible balance sheet.

Need better management.

Member of Technical Staff Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Spansion

ProsGood place to learn. Good for new grad to learn here.

ConsStock and finance is too bad.

No good recolonization to employees.

Industry is in very tough time.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed improve management. There are many places to improve the company and make it profitable.

Need senior leadership, BFC we need to hear from you.

IT Professional (Current Employee)

I have been working at Spansion

ProsBeing a mature company, technology company it is a good place to work. Some very nice people work here. It offers great working environment for many reasons as follows. It offers great areas for walking, running, basketball. It has a very good and inexpensive cafeteria. There exit great opportunities for advancement. Pay offered is competitive.

ConsPoor direction from top and middle management. Hence the direction received is often obscure and changing. Often the wrong goals are set and then they are changed to other wrong goals. Poor performance does not get addressed or good performance is not rewarded.

Advice to Senior Management1) Hire from outside your comfort circle for senior positions.
2) Create opportunity to get unvarnished feedback and suggestions from lower in the management hierarcy. Involve employees and contractors, since your best talent is hidden from you within the contractors.
3) Cut a few layers of middle management. They obscure the picture for you and for the employees.

better next time

Member of Technical Staff Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Spansion

Prosgood technical group, ready to share information

Consno communication with other engineers

Advice to Senior Managementnot sure

Great place to be, but financially it is going down fast.

Materials Engineer II (Former Employee)

I worked at Spansion

ProsPeople are Spansion's best asset! When I first came to Spansion I thought there is no other place Id rather be at. It is great going in to work and seeing everyone. Most of the older staff is very nice and helpful and pleasant to talk to. The spirit is high, and people treat each other with respect.

ConsThe company is doing pretty poorly financially, and as a result the layoffs are becoming more frequent and the benefits are getting worse. New management is treating people poorly. Aggressive people with very little people skills are becoming in charge.

Advice to Senior ManagementPeople that worked for Spansion for 20+ years are pretty disappointed with some of the new changes. Don't allow some of the new and unexperienced management to treat employees the way they do lately.

Worked for Spansion? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Spansion reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Spansion CEO John H. Kispert. All 101 reviews posted anonymously by Spansion employees.