Spansion

Updated December 20, 2014
2.7

Spansion President, CEO, and Director John H. Kispert
John H. Kispert

Pros
  • Also, there was a good work life balance (in 10 reviews)

• Good place to work with lots of good people; laid back as most places in Austin are (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • The employees seem to have diminishing faith and confidence in the company because of numerous lay-offs (in 5 reviews)

• no benefits, no bonus, conventional (no WFHs), longer promotion cycle, not willing to take risks at all, random shutdowns (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

a good place to learn

I have been working at Spansion

Pros

friendly and helpful co-workers, good work-life balance, amazing place to learn and grow, salary in par in the top companies in semiconductor industry,

Cons

legacy systems and practices, tough market-a shrinking NOR market,falling ASPs,bad financial decisions,slow decision making-(eg)projects getting cancelled just when the project is in the final stages citing poor customer demand for that product. These kind of project cancellations keep happening round the year-an absolute waste of resource and money,placing more emphasis on meeting the unrealistic deadline without ensuring the quality by coming up with a good systems of checks and balances

get your priorities clear on which projects you want to work,

Need senior leadership, BFC we need to hear from you.

Current Employee - IT Professional in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - IT Professional in Austin, TX

I have been working at Spansion

Pros

Being a mature company, technology company it is a good place to work. Some very nice people work here. It offers great working environment for many reasons as follows. It offers great areas for walking, running, basketball. It has a very good and inexpensive cafeteria. There exit great opportunities for advancement. Pay offered is competitive.

Cons

Poor direction from top and middle management. Hence the direction received is often obscure and changing. Often the wrong goals are set and then they are changed to other wrong goals. Poor performance does not get addressed or good performance is not rewarded.

1) Hire from outside your comfort circle for senior positions.
    2) Create opportunity to get unvarnished feedback and suggestions from lower in the management hierarcy. Involve employees and contractors, since your best talent is hidden from you within the contractors.
    3) Cut a few layers of middle management. They obscure the picture for you and for the employees.

Great place to be, but financially it is going down fast.

Former Employee - Materials Engineer II in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Materials Engineer II in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Spansion

Pros

People are Spansion's best asset! When I first came to Spansion I thought there is no other place Id rather be at. It is great going in to work and seeing everyone. Most of the older staff is very nice and helpful and pleasant to talk to. The spirit is high, and people treat each other with respect.

Cons

The company is doing pretty poorly financially, and as a result the layoffs are becoming more frequent and the benefits are getting worse. New management is treating people poorly. Aggressive people with very little people skills are becoming in charge.

People that worked for Spansion for 20+ years are pretty disappointed with some of the new changes. Don't allow some of the new and unexperienced management to treat employees the way they do lately.

Mixed feelings about Spansion.

I worked at Spansion

Pros

Had a good manager. Various systems and processes in place. Promote continuous improvement. Some good legacy from AMD.

Cons

Mid management too worry about themselves and suck up to the upper management. Constant pressure on cost reduction. Relatively high turnover rate. No internal transfer opportunities.

Good luck with the merger with Cypress.

Change is in the air

I have been working at Spansion full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I work with some of the best, smartest, most capable people I've met in my working life. The current executive management has taken a struggling company and made it a lean, efficient and thriving entity. My middle management is fair, hard working, and works wonders with very limited resources.

Cons

We're in the midst of being acquired by another company which will result in a shake up of executive and middle management. I'm afraid the management style is about to revert back to what it was after spinning off of AMD, which was out-dated and not employee focused. I found it to be an unhappy and unhealthy working environment back then.

Don't ruin the company with archaic attitudes towards employees and the workplace. Learn what it takes to retain talent in the modern workplace, empower people to achieve excellence and recognize their accomplishments.

Returning employee with total of 17 years of service

Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff Test Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff Test Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Spansion full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good work-life balance. Friendly co-workers and a lot to learn if you want to. Good Sonic Boom Wellnes program for employees

Cons

The annual target profit sharing percentage is never achieved due to many management factors, normally you can get from 70% to 80% of the target.

Every employee should get the full target profit percentage allocated by the company for the quarter

Application Engineer

Current Employee - Marketing
    Current Employee - Marketing

I have been working at Spansion full-time

Pros

I reccomend especially Application Engineer positions because they are very important for daily promotion and solution development. In general, we always have a problem with the resource of Field Application Engineer and it directly impacts on business.

Cons

You can get multi-culture environment because we collaborate globally for example solution developments, new product spec difinition and homepage design.

Need to consider both short term (daily promotion, technical support, etc) and long term strategy (roadmap, target market and position.)

It's an OK company to work for but they pay new hires better than long-term employees

Current Employee - Process Engineer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Process Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at Spansion full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Insurance is about the only good thing anymore

Cons

Each individual is doing the work of 4 people and more is being asked from them every quarter. Cost cutting has gotten ridiculous with the age of the equipment - it has to be fixed or replaced

Recognize people who have stuck it out all these years, went to school and got the degree that was asked of them and attended all classes given by the company and adhered to their rules

Could be better!

I have been working at Spansion

Pros

Smart Management, good people, and pay is okay.

Cons

Lack of resources, very process oriented, and very little to no internal growth opportunities

Great

Former Employee - Senior Product Engineer
    Former Employee - Senior Product Engineer

I worked at Spansion full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great place to relax. Good culture. Not work pressure

Cons

Did get much from working there...

Spansion Photos