Spark Energy Reviews

Spark Energy CEO William Keith Maxwell III
William Keith Maxwell III

1. Was a really good company - or a better compny

I worked at Spark Energy

Pros

very employee oriented company overall

Cons

Senior Leadership was a major issue

Advice to Management

With the correct leadership in place the electricity model will work. Mid-management was strong overall

2. customer service rep

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative

I worked at Spark Energy part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Friendly company, holiday dinners, prizes, training was fun and not boring. Vending machines are cheap, slow during the mornings

Cons

Management was bad. They were too pushy and graded really hard on all their calls. You were always doing something wrong even if you weren't, expected 100% on calls during the summer when we took 60 calls per day. For the work you put in you could make 40,000 a year elsewhere and not 13.00 an hour

Advice to Management

Stop being so pushy, we busted our tails out there while you just graded calls and judged us. Nobody is chipper 100% of the time, that includes you

3. Company does not feel energized or make you feel motivated

Former Employee - Sales Support Agent in Houston, TX

I worked at Spark Energy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The building and facilities are great, it helps you feeling in the mood of going to work, so I guess that is a good thing. Work balance is good.

Cons

Upper management does not feel energized, which irradiates to others. Once you are there you don't feel motivated and it makes you feel you are there just waiting for something better to come up.
    It does not matter if you are a good employee or not, you will do good in the company only if you know someone in upper management.

Advice to Management

Change is good.

5. Spare yourself.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Spark Energy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The pay isn't bad. As far as I can tell, Spark pays market rates for their talent. And, where your resume is concerned, future employers may judge that retail energy experience is valuable.

Cons

There is no coherent talent acquisition and retention plan. The plan, if it can be called one, is to hire everyone and then terminate the people that don't fit in. There is unbelievable turnover at this company. Everybody is temporary, very few people actually want to be here and, among them, almost none of them are what I would call good talent. You will work absurdly long hours, mostly to remedy nascent issues born from prior generations of migrant employees. And you will be resented for suggesting improvements because your managers -- the extreme minority of minimally-competent employees who are able to tolerate working here -- will recognize that you recognize their weaknesses as leaders. Ultimately, you -- like those before you -- will have no choice but to leave. So spare yourself the trouble.

Advice to Management

Frankly, I really don't think that anything can be done to save the organization. The leadership gap is too wide and the organization is too old to reverse course. My advice to management: find a way to separate yourself financially from the company now before it is worthless.

A nightmarish chapter of my life.

Former Employee - Software Developer in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Houston, TX

I worked at Spark Energy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Conveniently located, geographically. Compensation is sufficient.

Cons

Extreme work load, consistent late nights for most members of the team, unparalleled disorganization and poor project planning (precipitating the former), continuous hiring, firing and exiting of employees, poor outlook comparing company performance to competitors.

Advice to Management

Strategy. Success in business requires strategy, and it requires appreciation for deferred gratification. The founders and financiers finally got their exit with an IPO in 2014. If the company wants public investors to take it seriously, they need to think way ahead now. To me, it looks like a sinking ship.

Replaces IT and developer staff every 2 years. Developer time mostly spent tracking down customer bills off by 25cents.

I have been working at Spark Energy

Pros

Drive time, cafeteria and parking

Cons

Unprofessional IT / development management. Minimal development work, most time spent fixing incorrectly processed customer bill transactions. Dev expected to do off-hours on-call support with a company cell phone for 10-25 extra hours per week. Open bullpen office with minimal space.

Advice to Management

Turnover due to excessive overtime and over-committed schedules can be fixed.

8. Unlike any other company I ever worked for

Former Employee - Outside Sales/Marketing/Direct Marketing in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Outside Sales/Marketing/Direct Marketing in Chicago, IL

I worked at Spark Energy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Uncapped commission, late starts (12pm to 8pm). The team does spend a lot of time together outside of work, and more experienced team members are willing to go the extra mile to help you learn the process. You get to know neighborhoods well, and you learn some basic sales techniques. You also get a lot of exercise.

Cons

Poor four (4) day training program, no base pay, commissions are low, you spend a lot of time doing things that you aren't paid for (like training), you get treated very poorly by customers since you are going door to door, questioning the company's ethics results in a very hostile response, the news has done stories on this product that have yielded negative publicity, Turnover is very high. I feel like the municipalities in which they operate will enact ordinances which will make this job harder.

Advice to Management

Your employees should receive either a base pay, or an hourly wage. I'd consider a different product than Spark Energy, and a different technique than door to door. Have a lead generation process so that all calls are warmer than permafrost.

Growth & Love

I have been working at Spark Energy

Pros

Personal growth and promotions are common.

Cons

A lot of people get positions or hired because of who they know versus what they actually know.

10. Great Place to work

Current Employee - Director in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Director in Houston, TX

I have been working at Spark Energy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Strong, Smart leadership. Advancement opportunities. Great Work/Life balance. I love going to work every day.

Cons

As with any entrepreneur owned company, change is constant.

Advice to Management

none

11. Small company and probably not thinking about growing that big, small salaries for L8s and L9s.

Former Employee - Sales Support Agent in Houston, TX

I worked at Spark Energy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The building environment is nice, outdoor breaks available.

Cons

Salaries are low, and company does not make you feel important.

Advice to Management

More training, and better pay, and more involvement.

RSS Feed </> Embed