Spark Unlimited

Updated December 14, 2014
Updated December 14, 2014
3.4

Craig Allen

Great People! Amazing Learning Experience!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sherman Oaks, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sherman Oaks, CA

I have been working at Spark Unlimited as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Really great people and atmosphere.
    People there are really talented and are awesome to work with.
    Definitely learned a lot from everybody there.

Cons

There will be times where there are a lot of miscommunications with the directors that would cause people to do a large chunk of unnecessary work sometimes. Mostly a problem when it's crunch time.

Excellent team, not so excellent management.

I worked at Spark Unlimited as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

The team I happened to work with was one of the friendliest I've ever encountered. Everyone worked hard and put forth equal effort. Sad that the entire team was laid off when the project was done. The free coffee was beneficial as was the food that was ordered during crunch.

Cons

Didn't manage expectations well with the publisher. Seemed to underbid the contract and then hire a team made up almost entirely of junior people to try and cut costs. Many of the mistakes made were due to there being too many junior folks who were given no direction for what they were supposed to do.

On a personal note, I wasn't offered benefits when some of my coworkers work with the excuse that my term of employment was shorter than theirs.... BY ONE MONTH. Seriously, if you're going to offer benefits to your contract employees, give it to all of your contract employees or give it to none of them. Not having benefits was unfair and completely unnecessary. Also, do a better job picking your leads. Let's just say the lead of my department was working on the wrong game...

Great place to work, but doesn't offer much stability

I worked at Spark Unlimited full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Small, independent developer which allows for a lot of inter-deparment communication. Input is always appreciated and people are willing to listen. There's no real sense of "hierarchy" - so this allows exposure to new tools for everyone to learn. The benefits and pay were also a huge plus.

Cons

It's quite disorganized. I felt like management wasn't assertive enough with the Publisher, which inevitably led to poor decisions and a lackluster project. Despite management's positive attitude (which no-doubt helped boost the morale) - it wasn't enough to make the project better.

My other biggest complaint is when I spoke with HR during my interview, I had asked if the position was contract or permanent. They responded with "it's full time" - which initially led me to think the position was permanent. Instead, it was just temporary full time. I wish the HR person would have been more clear about this from the beginning. "Full-time" does not necessarily mean permanent. Please be more mindful about expressing this to future employees. Unfortunately, once a project is finished, everyone is let go, and that's a shame - I worked with some really solid people when I worked there.

Stand your ground - I feel like this studio has the potential do well and go far.

Chew 'em up, then spit them out...

I worked at Spark Unlimited full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Overall, a great collection of smart, hard-working senior developers.
    Excellent, mature Unreal Engine 3-based code and Maya-based tools
    Cool Ventura Blvd. location(s)

Cons

Management is its own worst enemy. Burns bridges with publishers, juggles money between two teams when it can really only afford one, etc.
    Only a tiny, core group of employees survive project-to-project -- everyone else gets "rolled-off," usually beginning at alpha. Management swears this is the only possible way to survive as an independent developer.
    Great games ruined at the end by management missteps, roll-offs and plunging employee morale.

Stick to one project at a time! Keep as many people as possible till the end to get it right, get it polished! If you haven't pissed off the publisher by beta, you just might get a follow-on project FOR ONCE, which means the next game will be even better because you were able to keep the same experienced developers.

Great people swimming in chummed water

Former Employee - Senior Technical Team Member in Sherman Oaks, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Technical Team Member in Sherman Oaks, CA

I worked at Spark Unlimited full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Very experienced cross discipline team. Very few Jr team members
    Works under the philosophy of "never attribute to malice, incidents that can be attributed to laziness."

Cons

Spark burns every bridge that they cross. The number of publishers that they have not biblically pissed off is moving to zero.

Has no capability to effectively manage publishers expectations.
    Dose not possess the project management skills to polish the product before it goes in the box.

It is most likely way to late

Not Stable

Former Employee - Senior Programmer in Sherman Oaks, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Programmer in Sherman Oaks, CA

I worked at Spark Unlimited full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Upper management really does appreciate your sacrifice to be there working hard. Near lots of different places to eat. Most employees are competent at their jobs. Competitive pay.

Cons

Scrum is not so well implemented, it's more of an intrusion on your work day.
    Project managers are not very excited about making a great game.
    Parking can become tiresome. Nearly everyone gets laid off at the end of a project.

Longer sprints. Project managers need to be responsible for the backlog. Just dump Scrum.
    Get some air pots for the coffee.

Great experience

Former Employee - Senior FX Artist in Sherman Oaks, CA
    Former Employee - Senior FX Artist in Sherman Oaks, CA

I worked at Spark Unlimited as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Very fun and friendly working environment with lots of very knowledgeable people. One of the most enjoyable jobs I've had.

Cons

Initially, production was a little disorganized, but that was remedied.

Great place to work

Former Employee - Character Artist in Sherman Oaks, CA
    Former Employee - Character Artist in Sherman Oaks, CA

I worked at Spark Unlimited full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The projects are fun and the people I worked with were truly great and passionate about their jobs.

Cons

The only issue with spark is the lack of consistency between projects.

My advice would be to try to keep the same team from project to project. Perhaps this will increase the quality of the products.

Wonderful place and great people. Talent runs deep.

I worked at Spark Unlimited full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Enthusiastic and knowledgable team and a great project mad working at Spark a blast. We used the UDK it helped a lot to author assets and turn around levels with haste.

Cons

Could've used more time and a slightly larger budget to make the game a stand out. The incredibly talented team wanted to take this just a little further and that gets difficult when the funds are set. Being lean and mean has its benefits but what we are trying to sell is quality, there is a price for that.

Trust your workers, keep things on time and be transparent, we are all in this together.

Worked with great people on a great project but top level management can be dysfunctional.

Former Employee - Senior Environment Artist in Sherman Oaks, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Environment Artist in Sherman Oaks, CA

I worked at Spark Unlimited full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Spark has been able to assemble very talented teams of good people in the past. However very few of these good people are left.

Cons

Fails to retain talent because projects aren't landed consistently. There are layoffs at the end of every project. In some ways, these layoffs have enabled Spark to cull high level members that cause dysfunction but repeatedly loses the most vital members of the team.

Stop over-promising and underdelivering to publishers. Installing the wrong people in high level positions without oversight has repeatedly caused drama, wasted time and wasted resources. The poor oversight may be caused by an out of touch CEO who understands business but isn't genuinely, personally invested in the product being created. Decisions become reactive instead of visionary.