Sparkhound

Fast Growing, Culture Centric Consulting Firm

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irving, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irving, TX

I have been working at Sparkhound full-time

Pros

Company is small enough to allow for individuals to have a big impact but big enough to provide growth opportunities. Leadership stays true to our roots and is dedicated to creating a culture that is humble, loyal, and committed to making an impact on our client's business.

Cons

Everything is not figured out. A lot of processes are still immature and in need of focus. Growing pains up and down the organization.

Stay committed to being open to the ideas from employees. Growth is hard and can lead to change that is not always popular but is necessary. Keep the focus on employee engagement and look for new ways to inspire the team and our clients.

Nice idea, but failed excute

I worked at Sparkhound full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

There are a lot of things they try to do good. Culture was decent, pretty good support of people trying to grow and do stuff. Decent pay.

Cons

There was failure to get exciting work and keep the sales pipeline full. If they ever got a good sales team together, it could be a great company again. With current work and direction, I would stay away.

Resting on its laurels and failing

Former Employee - Service Desk Associate Technician in Baton Rouge, LA
    Former Employee - Service Desk Associate Technician in Baton Rouge, LA

I worked at Sparkhound full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great company culture. When it came to school/previous commitments, they were more than reasonable. Good sense of camaraderie. Very exciting atmosphere.

Cons

Executives are ungrateful for what they have and are also very self absorbed. They have no respect for those that helped them build their business along the way. Company is very much a clique. Fit in well and the sky is the limit. Don't fit in and they will make sure you know it. Several longterm clients who took great risks when signing on were dropped for no reason. Pay for each position is well below national average. Company has a poor reputation in town. Word on the street is that people here don't have it together and that underneath the perfectly maintained facade sits a circus. Texas offices are bleeding dry and can't keep talent nor can they operate in the black for long periods of time.

Be humble. Recognize that what put this company where it is can also destroy it. The company's reputation isn't what it used to be and due to your headquarters being in a small town, EVERYONE knows it. Don't mess it all up.

They churn through people and are highly unorganized

Former Employee - Senior SharePoint Consultant in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Senior SharePoint Consultant in Houston, TX

I worked at Sparkhound full-time (less than an year)

Pros

It is hard to think of any other than a very flexible work environment. I worked about 60-40 from home.

Cons

Houston office has zero leadership. I, like another reviewer, was warned about this place. In fact, during the initial interview I was asked if I had heard about their poor reputation. I should have known then that it was bad news. There are some talented people there but those in positions of authority are apathetic and self-serving not to mention back-stabbing. Get ready to disappoint your clients, be jerked from assignment to assignment, log hours that are not billable, and take a lot of heat from your customers. The home office in Baton Rouge is hardly aware of Houston. Try calling Baton Rouge and asking for someone in the Houston office. "Where?" is the typical response. Lots of buck passing.

Stop patting yourselves on the back while your head is in the sand. You provide zero support to your consultants and your project managers are largely untrained, lazy, and ineffective. Customers should run from this place like so many of your employees. Ask yourselves why turnover is so high. Stop screwing with people's lives by hiring them and then screwing them over. Make people do their jobs so there is not a constant environment of finger pointing and blaming. Get a sense of urgency when dealing with clients.

Avoid the Houston office at all costs

I worked at Sparkhound

Pros

Founder has vision and is charismatic. The Baton Rouge and Dallas offices appear to be nice to work for. The people in Dallas really seem to love it.

Cons

The Houston office has a bad reputation in the community. I was warned not to work there before starting. The managers are some of worst in town. It is a negative culture designed to protect some really incompetent managers at the expense of their engineers and project managers. The branch location is not encountering growing pains or just experiencing some process issues. It is dying. After leaving Sparkhound I encountered a couple of companies who had very negative comments about the service received. How long can the business model of finding the next greater fool continue?

Replace your Houston management with people who don't suck so bad.

Fulfilling, challenging and enjoyable place to work.

Current Employee - Senior Consultant
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant

I have been working at Sparkhound full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Customer focus, culture and a caring, committed leadership team. The company has a promising future and has established an employee centric atmosphere.

Cons

Experiencing growing pains. Nothing abnormal, but still challenging.

Don't compromises your values and mission as you grow. Keep standards high in order to stay competitive yet attractive to customers and employees.

Best Culture and Customer Focused IT Services Company

I have been working at Sparkhound full-time

Pros

The culture is amazing and the leadership is humble, transparent, and authentic. I've worked at other IT services firms and Sparkhound cares about its employees more than most. The work is interesting and there is much headroom for career advancement opportunity.

Cons

It's a growing company and is still maturing its processes.

Keep making progress towards the 10 in 10 vision.

Extremely disappointing

I worked at Sparkhound

Pros

If you have great contacts this is the place for you...they are all about bringing in new business

Cons

Staff and management are under qualified. The few employees who have an idea of what they are doing are over extended. Sales goes after opportunities even when there is no in house talent available. No real focus on delivery.

Grow Up!

Don't waste your time

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Houston, TX

I have been working at Sparkhound full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Has good sales pitch to get you in the door but can't cash the 'checks' they are writing

Cons

Unprofessional, unorganized, immature. Trying to develop in a market that they are not equipped for or can handle.

Stop trying to play in the big leagues - you can't hang. Focus on the only thing you do well- outsourced help desk. Hire more senior leadership. Time to stop buddy system hiring.

Great Place for No Travel Consulting

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Sparkhound full-time (more than an year)

Pros

NO TRAVEL
    VERY laid back culture
    The company cares about you
    Great projects and clients to work with
    Management is very approachable for any subject

Cons

none. I love working here. There are some growing pains but those a great to have.

keep up the good work