Sparks Personnel Services Reviews

4.0
Steve Sparks

1. Recruiter

I have been working at Sparks Personnel Services

Pros

Consultant training
    Good leaders/management
    Stability
    Great culture and environment
    Opportunities to advance

Cons

More open communication with teams

Advice to Management

Keep the communication open and positive

2. Incredible organization full of people who are motivated, talented and genuinely want to help candidates and clients.

Current Employee - Recruiter in Remote, OR
    Current Employee - Recruiter in Remote, OR

I have been working at Sparks Personnel Services

Pros

The PEOPLE! Great teams who look forward to coming to work. Strong retention. Great training. Reputable organization that has been established since 1970 and growing at a smart pace increasing market share while not losing site of the individuals.

Cons

Its a regional firm so there are limitations if you want to relocate or travel to other areas for business purposes.

Advice to Management

Continue to spend the one on one time with your staff so it is understood how each person can grow professionally and stay motivated.

3. GREAT place to work....Never a dull moment

I have been working at Sparks Personnel Services

Pros

Staffing is an extremely difficult calling: truly never a dull moment. At SPARKS, my managers lead the way with respect for both our candidates and clients. My contributions are appreciated, my suggestions are considered and often implemented and I know my team mates share a commitment to our mission: get good talent great jobs.

Cons

Staffing industry is complicated: one has huge responsibilities to 'get it right always.'

5. SPARKS is a fantastic company offering growth opportunity and unlimited income potential!

Current Employee - Recruiter in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Recruiter in McLean, VA

I have been working at Sparks Personnel Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent employee engagement - holiday party, company picnic, quirky contests, i.e. Ugly Holiday Sweater contest, quarterly department competitions, etc.
    Good benefits - health, dental and vision coverage, life insurance and long-term disability, and 401K.
    Transparency - management holds State of the Union meetings and constantly provides updates on the company
    Expectations are set, tracked and reviewed, so there aren't any surprises.
    There is a great family atmosphere which explains why there are so many long term employees.

Cons

Some work that could be automated is still manual. This does not seem to be a SPARKS issue, but a staffing issue in general.

6. SPARKS is a fun, upbeat company with supportive Management and smart, ambitious staff members.

I have been working at Sparks Personnel Services full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

SPARKS is the definition of a "family environment". The people that work here are amazing and everyone truly cares about one another and the success of the company as whole, in addition to their own.

Cons

When your product is people, every day is something new! The industry is tough and is not for everyone.

Advice to Management

SPARKS has a truly unique and special culture. Don't let that change!

7. Decent staffing company.

I worked at Sparks Personnel Services

Pros

The recruiters were helpful and aggressive in finding us employment. They came out and visited the work sites and rewarded their employees and overall they made certain that the position they found you was a good fit.

Cons

The pay could of been higher for the type off positions that they placed you in. I believe there should of been more honesty about the length of your assignments. Some of the positions would have you temping for at least 3 years without being made permanent.

Advice to Management

More honesty and openness regarding the length of assignments. More opportunities for positions that could become permanent. And if you have employees who are temping for a year or longer than they should be given adequate raises and benefits.

8. Great staffing and recruiting company!

I have been working at Sparks Personnel Services

Pros

Full disclosure: I have worked at SPARKS, basically since I graduated college, and so I am writing this review without a ton of corporate experience for comparison. While the staffing and recruiting industry doesn't offer the unique benefits that say, a dot-com might, the one aspect it does offer is the daily interaction with great people! Throughout the entire organization, SPARKS is made up of fun, energetic people that truly care about one another and about the mission of connecting great talent to great companies. Time and time again I have heard staff members (especially new hires with previous staffing/recruiting experience) mention how SPARKS is so superior with regards to employee recognition, work-life balance, career development, and availability of senior leadership. As a long-time employee I am obviously very satisfied with all of these items and would highly recommend SPARKS as a great workplace!

Cons

As with any small to mid-size company, vertical promotions are a little bit more rare than in a large company. However, SPARKS does offer tons of opportunities for career growth and development.

9. Great Place!

I worked at Sparks Personnel Services

Pros

Great way to advance your skills in a professional environment. I was able to learn more than enough to help me land a worthwhile and professional career.

Cons

Sometimes the staffing recruiters will place you in temporary positions that do not help advance your overall skills and the jobs can become stagnant.

Advice to Management

Find a better way to reward individuals that have been successful temporary employees. The overall goal of a temporary staffing agency is to allow individuals to be placed in permanent positions. This process may be fast tracked if temps were put into positions that would challenge them in some degree but also show employers that these individuals deserve a chance.

Know What You're Getting Into

Former Employee - Staffing Supervisor
    Former Employee - Staffing Supervisor

I worked at Sparks Personnel Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you leverage it properly, staffing can be a great way to grow your own business contacts and get a start in the Recruiting field. If you are looking for a work hard, play hard environment, this is it.

Cons

This has been said by other commentators but it bares repeating: Sparks is a staffing company. Their clients pay them, not candidates. Therefore, the emphasis has always and will always be on sales and account management. No matter how hard you may work at other parts of the business, this is what matters most for internal advancement. They absolutely hire right out of college and look for applicants with sales or customer service experience. They do provide training, though, if sales isn't in your DNA, no training can really help. If you are considering an entry level recruiting position with them - just be realistic about what you're getting into. Also, understand that no matter what they may tell you, for most of your buyers, staffing is a commodity so it can be hard to really differentiate your services and usually it just comes down to price.

It is also not a sure fire way to career in HR as HR administration is a completely different bag of tricks than staffing. It could be a path to a career in Corporate Recruiting but you have to be smart about it. Build personal relationships with your clients and network, network, network. Also, staffing is a client service industry, which means the hours are long and the client is king so know that going in. The comment about suspending 401(k) matching when revenue is down is also absolutely true though for a small business, this isn't really surprising.

On average, I think they treat their contract employees fairly well and certainly no worse than their competitors. Just remember if you're thinking of accepting a temp gig through Sparks or any agency: the client is paying them and you aren't. At the end of the day, they'll listen to the client.

Advice to Management

When hiring internally, be transparent about the expectations around sales and account management. Unlike competitors, you actually do offer training to help develop these skills. You just have to be more up front about it.

11. Unprofessional, Uncoordinated

Current Contractor - Contract Employee in Herndon, VA
    Current Contractor - Contract Employee in Herndon, VA

I have been working at Sparks Personnel Services as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Submitting time sheet is easy.

Cons

HR is slow to provide responses. They often don't return phone or email messages. Office is closed on holidays. They change your benefits with short or no notice. Pay is average. Don't expect too much.

Advice to Management

Take responsibility and improve your communication to your employees. These employees don't want to work for you. Many of them are contract employees because of technicalities with your clients.