Sparks Personnel Services

Updated September 9, 2014
Updated September 9, 2014
3.1

Steve Sparks

Great company to work for!!!

Former Employee - Staff Recruiter
    Former Employee - Staff Recruiter

I worked at Sparks Personnel Services full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I had a great experience with SPARKS. The leadership and executive teams give you the opportunity to develop your professional skills by providing on going training, and staying in communication with employees. You feel like a valued team member, working towards the overall mission of the organization.

Cons

Current ATS system is slow and repetitive, an upgrade would do wonders to productivity.

Not Great but Not Bad

I worked at Sparks Personnel Services full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Ongoing training for professional development including sales and software training

Most of the management are visible, approachable, and nurturing

The more tenured staff was pretty friendly and willing to help when needed

Great position for entry level candidates looking to start out and gain business experience

Cons

High turnover and sometimes the various office could be very cliquey

Internal software was a mess. There were 3 different internal systems that recruiters had to use and everyone used them differently and none of them worked together

The payroll dept also had major inefficiencies due to software issues and a shortage in staff

The company is increasingly quota driven and money motivated which cultivated a competitive work environment. Great for sales people not so great for recruiters looking to actually help people

Base salaries for internal staff are low and growth is stagnant with limited career paths outside of sales

Outside of quarterly meetings and the occasional happy hour there were no other team building exercises or opportunities outside of the office to get to know your coworkers (ie no community service events, volunteer efforts, etc)

Recruiters never have definitive information regarding assignments and will take advantage to keep reaping commissions.

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Sparks Personnel Services as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

If you need a way in to a company, temping is always a good way prove yourself and get hired!

Cons

Plan to wait forever for your initial in office assessment, even with an appointment to which you arrived on time.
    You will never be advised that you have earned time off or holiday pay.
    Start times of assignments are ambiguous and you will be left hanging for months before/if you begin. They may not have the contract when they tell you they do.
    The stated length of assignments are not accurate, the longer you were for Sparks the longer they receive money for each hour you work.
    Recruiters lie to you and about you.

Check yourselves.
    Learn integrity and practice it.

Disgusting company to work for

Former Employee - Software Architect in McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Software Architect in McLean, VA

I worked at Sparks Personnel Services as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

"Temporary" service "Temporary" service "Temporary" service

Cons

1. They silently decreased the pay rate agreed initially and restored it after 3 month with no compensation
    2. They made mistake in my W2 form
    3. They didn't want to correct that mistake and I was forced to apply to IRS

Placed me in the wrong company

Former Employee - Quality Inspector in Sterling, VA
    Former Employee - Quality Inspector in Sterling, VA

I worked at Sparks Personnel Services as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

work-life balance, found a job fast,

Cons

management doesn't care about you only about making money

One of the recruiters placed me in a company that only accepted US citizen while I only had a work permit. I did not find out about this until it was time to change from temp to permanent, and they realized Sparks had made a mistake and I shouldn't had been there in the first place.

A Temporary Service.

Current Employee - Temp in Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - Temp in Herndon, VA

I have been working at Sparks Personnel Services as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

It's a company that has their own self interest in mind

Cons

It's a company that has their own self interest in mind

Great, Honest place to work that values the work life balance

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tysons Corner, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tysons Corner, VA

I have been working at Sparks Personnel Services full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Upper / Middle Management have great communication skills to set realistic expectations. This allows for a fun, work hard balance. They make you want to work hard and better yourself in your career.

Cons

Their is never a slow day, but that is to be expected :)

HMMMM Looks like Sparks is putting in its own reviews to pump up it's overall rating.

Former Employee - Associate Manager
    Former Employee - Associate Manager

I worked at Sparks Personnel Services full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Not sure I can recall any.

Cons

I read the recent reviews and had to chuckle. I have to say they are exactly like every other staffing service out there, pushing sales over service EVERYTIME. The salaries are way out of line with what is posted on here. As a former Associate Manager for three years I never made the kind of money they claim and I worked my tail off.

They claim the have a work life balance well I can say I was almost always the first in and the last out working long hours with little to no return. Going out and getting drunk after work is not FUN at work it is drinking away the problems.

They tend to fill their respective staff with mostly young women and typically white women just out of college with little to no business sense. About half the staff was nice the rest were kind of snobby, rude and just plain mean spirited.

I agree with the other posting that the team of upper management is all just a bunch of bullies. Specifically one or two come to mind who do in fact talk about other staff. They seem to always be spreading rumors and gossip. There is always drama with the internal staff.
    FYI They will take away the 401K whenever things get a little tough.

The also have a serious leadership problem. We know your heart is not in it, your just there for the easy $. Sell the company already!

DC Office was OK

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Washington, DC

I worked at Sparks Personnel Services as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great local connections where you can get your foot in the door.

Cons

The Sparks office recruiters tend to form an opinion of you very quickly, and will always listen to the person next to them.

Please take greater interest in your "talent". Teach the recruiters to be independent thinkers.

Found me an excellent job quickly and I got started right away

Former Employee - Research Analyst in Springfield, VA
    Former Employee - Research Analyst in Springfield, VA

I worked at Sparks Personnel Services as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Sparks has a quick-expedited hiring process as long as your background meets current contracts. The staff is friendly, helpful and very responsive to employee issues.

Cons

I was contracted out to another company which was contracted to another organization. The pay was on the low end of what I was expecting but it got me a job that helped propel my career.