Sparta Systems

www.spartasystems.com

Sparta Systems Reviews

Updated Jun 5, 2014
Sparta Systems – Hamilton – “Main Entrance”

Sparta Systems – Hamilton – “Main Entrance”

Eileen Martinson

Wonderful place to work and Happy employees

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Hamilton, NJ

ProsModern workplace, wonderful culture, embraces technology and change, growing and expanding at a good and maintainable pace. Company brings in food every Friday (changing to once a month). People are actually HAPPY to be here. Flexible hours, very casual dress. Self motivated.

ConsTight working conditions because the company is growing so quickly.
    Having the two different products is a little confusing.
    Some employees take the "casual attire" a little too far (I really don't want to see the underwear of a co-worker), but there are only a few that take it to the extreme.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you are doing!

Nice Company to work for.

ProsGood Management
    Great money if your in the right place within the company
    Good attitude of the employees

ConsNeed to move faster in technology delivery
    Better marketing

Opportunity to work with great people

ProsTeam spirit is strong, and almost everyone is approachable and willing to help you. People are hard working but are also fun to work with. Projects are interesting, with great opportunities to learn new technology and increase your knowledge.

ConsCompany is growing very quickly, so decisions/direction sometimes seem to change frequently. You need to be open to change and be very adaptable to do well in this environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone for now. Generally happy with the direction Management is going.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great people to work with, rapid growth company with great vision

ProsVery collaborative & innovative environment
    Highly intelligent and motivated employees
    Strong corporate strategy and vision
    Training and career growth opportunities
    Friday company lunches. Good amount of employee events throughout the year.
    When you start at Sparta you are enrolled in classroom training for several weeks

ConsWorking from home is restricted to an infrequent basis
    If you are a habitual under performer you won't last here. Under performers don't get continually shuffled around as they would at other companies(pro if you are a decent worker)

Awesome Internship!

Junior Solutions Consultant (Current Employee) Hamilton, NJ

ProsLearned a lot about enterprise software!
    Bosses were lenient
    Everyone would help!

ConsSometimes the work would get over-whelming
    The software is tricky to learn to use

Advice to Senior ManagementJob well done

One of the Best places I worked for

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Hamilton, NJ

ProsLots of responsibilities. Good teamwork.
    Great work culture in Product Development / QA organization.
    Good training to folks joining. Agile methodologies.
    Fast growing company almost doubling in size in last 2-3 years and continue to expand. Lots of opportunities.
    Company has a good policy for folks to move been departments which is better than anywhere else I have worked.

ConsDue to flat organization promotions are less.

Advice to Senior ManagementAs company expands consider expanding middle management layer to help with balanced growth and proper oversight.

As of yet, the staff has been accommodating, the environment friendly and the pay very satisfying.

ProsSince the day I walked in, they've given me everything I needed to succeed and then some. They actively answer my questions, they trained me from the ground up and paced the training to my specific needs. There is a trust placed in the employee to perform tasks assigned to them on their own time, and it's not in a manner that feels impossible. Great place to work. Very fulfilling environment.

ConsI think the one drawback is the slight disconnect between management and lower level employees. They are very personable and easily approached, and will gladly help when they can, but this seems to be so much that they occasionally take a while to respond. This is due largely to the fast growth of the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementNo advice from me just yet.

Great opportunity to grow with a dynamic company

ProsI have been with the company for over two years. The current organizational structure give you the ability to take the initiative with your own career and establish your own identity and career path. Cross-functional opportunities are there for people willing to take action. Product plan is exciting with new product offerings in addition to TrackWise.

ConsChallenging work environment may at times be stressful. Being a high growth company this is expected with tighter deadlines on many projects. Expected to be available at all times to assist with critical issues/projects.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue with the development of career paths. Enable employees to take ownership of their own career.

Good place for the ambitious

ProsIf you're not afraid to work the extra hour, plenty of opportunity for advancement. If necessary, positions are created to reward employees who show promise. Tons of projects to get involved in and lots of opportunity to grow in knowledge. Good compensation package.

ConsNot a company to hold your hand. Everything moves fast and changes fast. Company can be very quick to release anyone they consider dead weight. Very high pressure at times.

Advice to Senior ManagementInter department relations can be fractious. Some work needs to be done to get the company on the same page.

Great company, but with high turnover

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Pros- Great benefits, pay is competitive.
    - Casual dress code, brand new building with great areas to sit and socialize, game room
    - Co-workers are very friendly, respectful, and helpful
    - Sparta does a great job with company events and celebrations of holidays (not just US holidays, but various different cultural holidays as well). Socializing with Spartans is always a fun time.
    - Good flow of work will come your way, you will definitely not be bored or have nothing to do. You'll leave every day knowing you've accomplished something.
    - Free lunch on Fridays. Sparta also promotes healthy lifestyles.
    - Gym and cafeteria next door.

Cons- Everybody is too spread thin with their work, which leads to constant delays and bickering amongst management on how to manage their resources. It can be a battle obtaining assistance from another department.
    - Many of the old-timers have left, new people are always popping up everywhere across the company. Retention rate is low.
    - Very difficult in terms of personal career growth. Moving up is very difficult, and as you grow in the company, your responsibilities become more diversified rather than focusing on your strengths.

The core problem with Sparta is that it is a sales-driven company, not product-driven. There are many negative feelings behind the product, and it leads to employees just wanting to complete their deadlines and getting their day-to-day assignments done. Sparta has a lot of passion and inspiration, but it's always focused towards the general success of the company and growing the sales numbers, not towards the product. The product has no "edge-of-the-seat Wow" factor and does not inspire developers. If upper executives/management are truly concerned about the employee retention rate and the quality of the product, they need to invest more into the product and promote it within Sparta. With inspired employees, you will get a product everyone can be proud of, which will lead to stability and more sales.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo a better job learning the strengths and goals of each of your employees and give them work/projects based on that. Don't hinder the success and growth of your top talent, ever. Need to be more action-oriented and not becoming complacent with existing/outdated policies and red tape.

Worked for Sparta Systems? Contribute to the Community!