Spartan Stores

Spartan Stores President, COO, and Director Dennis Eidson

Dennis Eidson

First job, Good introduction

Service Clerk/Cashier (Former Employee) Kalamazoo, MI

ProsI worked at the D&W in Kalamazoo, Michigan for several years during High School. This was my first job, and first time in the working world. Everyone that worked here was very accepting, fun to talk to, and very helpful. The management was excellent, scheduling was consistent, and the hours were great.

ConsI do not have many cons for Spartan Stores - it was my first job so I was payed minimum wage, which would not be able to support someone through the next step, or college for that matter. This is to be expected from a first time job.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing!

Very good experience for part time employees

Grocery/Dairy Clerk (Former Employee)

Prospaid job while in school.

ConsNot that I know of

Very good part time job while in school

Grocery/Dairy Clerk (Current Employee)

ProsPTO for whenever, Still get to be apart of company events

ConsI would have to say none.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Spartan is a great company for people who like to be creative.

Production Manager (Current Employee) Grand Rapids, MI

ProsVery open company. Allow a lot of creativity. Really focused on Associate Satisfaction. Lots of locations and a great corporate office. Lots of departments for people with specialized skills.

ConsWe are very margin driven as opposed to sales driven. Like any company, there are a lot of hoops to jump through to get things done.

Advice to Senior ManagementNA

A good organization overall

Category Assistant (Former Employee) Byron Center, MI

ProsThis organization is very community driven and encourages its associates to contribute to the community. They also ensure that there is a good work-life balance for their associates The associates are friendly and helpful, overall a great team.

ConsPromotion seems to be a little elusive for many associates

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't forget your most loyal employees before they turn on you and burn out.

overnight stocker

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosemployee discount, friendly co-workers,clean environment

ConsLow pay/ no benefits, do not get more than one day off in a row

Growing company on the backs of associates without just reward/acknowledgement.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Grand Rapids, MI

Pros401k, good people to work with, can be a great place to work

ConsUpper Management talks a good game but does not deliver consistently on caring for associates and abuses store managers and department management. Training and development is not accomplished thru on line videos! Use people to train people...commit resources for live training already!

Advice to Senior ManagementStart investing in your store teams or lose your momentum.

Its a basic retail job

Night Stock (Former Employee) Rockford, MI

ProsDecent pay for retail. Working while the store is closed. A good first job if you don't take things to seriously.

ConsUpper management is poor. If your department does really well and hits its sales goals you will get rewarded with less hours to do the same job the next month which meant if your at the bottom of the ladder you lost all of those hours.

good place to work

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Grand Rapids, MI

ProsEach department is very different but overall, family oriented. Taking time off for vacations etc is welcomed and flexible.

ConsNot flexible for time sharing , could be better technology wise. Do not provide tablet or cell phone, but some have laptops.

Interesting place to work

Cashier (Current Employee) Grayling, MI

ProsCustomers are amazing. They care. Some coworkers are absolutely wonderful, care and make working for Spartan enjoyable. If you are regular part time or full time, you have a discount, paid vacation, sick time and bonus time. Insurance is available for part timers as well. Flexible scheduling.

ConsManagement loves to play favorites. Insurance for part time is unaffordable, and you are held back and unable to advance with the favoritism shown in the stores upper management. Many employees are very frustrated and unhappy, which makes for a not so happy working environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay better, offer us advancement opportunities.

Worked for Spartan Stores? Contribute to the Community!