Spartan Stores Reviews

1. Great store!

Former Employee - Cashier in Grand Rapids, MI
    Former Employee - Cashier in Grand Rapids, MI

I worked at Spartan Stores

Pros

Absolutely amazing management. They really care about you and will work with you to accommodate your schedule.

Cons

It seems like after Spartan bought the store I worked at, them trying to force our store to run their way caused some friction. But hey, what can ya do?

Let successful stores runs things their ways. Also maybe let promising employees earlier management training.

2. Assistant quick stop manager

Current Employee - Assistant Quick Stop Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Quick Stop Manager

I have been working at Spartan Stores full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Full time with benefits and easy to get days off when needed.

Cons

Your expected to do way more then our share, and get throne into a lot of maddening situations, the management stinks, and spartan claims they care about their employees when they in fact have done nothing to make it better. There are also no insensitives at all to make anyone want to work or try harder, you get a lot of turnover too, I have unfortunately worked here now for 7 years and in that time have gone through 60 people, most of them leaving due to my manager and the unnecessary drama that takes place there. The people who need to get suspended or fired never do. HR is way to lenient and kind. They need to limit how many times a person can call in before they get into trouble..our moral is severly low! And I know 3 or four people including myself who are looking for another job or even a different line of work altogether. My manager has no clue about this and I am not going to tell her, we are already short staffed, and would not want to make her even more upset. Bottom line SpartanNash doesn't give a darn about the little people, if they did they would see my hat everyone is unhappy , even the all the truck drivers and deli people I see come in to our store..you also only start out at $10 per hour for all this grief, and have to have open availability too! I can't even move out of my parents house yet ! I am thinking about quitting and working two jobs. I sure hope this was helpful to anyone interested in this position. I started with a great possetive attitude and a dream, but it died, and it's really sad.. It's not my fault tho it's them.. Poor training or none at all and they expect you to know most everything.. Crazy and totally lame. Good luck to the reader trying to find a job! I am too

3. I did a few things here and there. Cleaned and what not. Cashiered sometimes.

I worked at Spartan Stores

Pros

the one thing I liked was my coworkers. They were young, which was cool since they were pretty laid-back.

Cons

It is a corporate situation. Upper-level isn't really in touch with what happens in the stores.

5. Like a large grocery store with a "homey" feel

I worked at Spartan Stores part-time (less than a year)

Pros

The particular store I worked at was large enough to keep me generally busy, but still small enough to feel like you have a niche.

Cons

There seemed to be some discontinuity between upper management and lower management. My store manager would get very angry when we'd clock more than 8 hrs / day, but employees were known to get in trouble for not serving a customer after their specific department is supposed to close.

6. Alright

Current Employee - Warehouse Worker
    Current Employee - Warehouse Worker

I have been working at Spartan Stores full-time (less than a year)

Pros

decent pay and benefits
    holidays off with opportunity to come in for overtime

Cons

loads of physical work and then some

7. overall a good company to work for

I worked at Spartan Stores

Pros

good benefits, flexible schedules, good supervisors.

Cons

restricted hours to work with, could do better on pay increases.

8. Phenomenal Leadership in this company

Former Intern - Finance/Accounting in Grand Rapids, MI
    Former Intern - Finance/Accounting in Grand Rapids, MI

I worked at Spartan Stores as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

The leadership is amazing, they are very down to earth and approachable. The company is growing rapidly so there are some great opportunities for growth and advancement.

Cons

Very quite atmosphere depending on what department you are working in

9. First job, Good introduction

Former Employee - Service Clerk/Cashier in Kalamazoo, MI
    Former Employee - Service Clerk/Cashier in Kalamazoo, MI

I worked at Spartan Stores part-time (more than a year)

Pros

I worked at the D&W in Kalamazoo, Michigan for several years during High School. This was my first job, and first time in the working world. Everyone that worked here was very accepting, fun to talk to, and very helpful. The management was excellent, scheduling was consistent, and the hours were great.

Cons

I do not have many cons for Spartan Stores - it was my first job so I was payed minimum wage, which would not be able to support someone through the next step, or college for that matter. This is to be expected from a first time job.

Keep doing what you're doing!

10. Spartan is a great company for people who like to be creative.

Current Employee - Production Manager in Grand Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - Production Manager in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at Spartan Stores full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Very open company. Allow a lot of creativity. Really focused on Associate Satisfaction. Lots of locations and a great corporate office. Lots of departments for people with specialized skills.

Cons

We are very margin driven as opposed to sales driven. Like any company, there are a lot of hoops to jump through to get things done.

NA

11. A good organization overall

Former Employee - Category Assistant in Byron Center, MI
    Former Employee - Category Assistant in Byron Center, MI

I worked at Spartan Stores full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

This organization is very community driven and encourages its associates to contribute to the community. They also ensure that there is a good work-life balance for their associates The associates are friendly and helpful, overall a great team.

Cons

Promotion seems to be a little elusive for many associates

Don't forget your most loyal employees before they turn on you and burn out.