Special Counsel

Updated September 4, 2014
Updated September 4, 2014
3.5

John L. Marshall III

Pros
  • Great for contract work especially when new to a market (in 3 reviews)

• I really enjoyed the people who worked along side of me, but that may be dependent upon the applicant pool (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • Contract work with little room for promotions (in 4 reviews)

• Recent graduates or people with less experience will have a tougher time getting placed, unless it is a document review project (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

good place to work

Former Employee - Attorney
    Former Employee - Attorney

I worked at Special Counsel full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

good communication and professional demeanor

Cons

sometimes hard to find work

improve communication with employees

Very friendly environment! Flexible work schedule!

Former Employee - Document Reviewer/Contract Attorney  in  Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Document Reviewer/Contract Attorney in Dallas, TX

I worked at Special Counsel as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

Working here provides you with the flexibility of practicing as a sole practitioner and interviewing for permanent employment. On most contracts, you determine your work hours after completing a day of training. Also, there are opportunities to work overtime on most projects and there is free parking depending on the location of the project. Lastly, the work environment is very friendly and relaxed. We get free lunches frequently!

Cons

Due to the nature of the job, it is quite difficult (almost impossible) to qualify for benefits like vacation days, paid holidays, sick days, etc.

Provide at least paid holidays!

Great for contract and direct hire opportunities

Current Employee - Contractor  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Contractor in Austin, TX

I have been working at Special Counsel full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

If you are polished and have a strong skill set, they have plenty of opportunities for you.

Cons

Recent graduates or people with less experience will have a tougher time getting placed, unless it is a document review project.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company to have working for you.

Former Employee - Legal Specialist  in  San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Legal Specialist in San Diego, CA

I worked at Special Counsel as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Special Counsel works hard for you and they are very Professional.

Cons

Mostly temporary work, which can be tough.

Paralegal

Current Employee - Paralegal  in  New Orleans, LA
    Current Employee - Paralegal in New Orleans, LA

I have been working at Special Counsel as a contractor for more than 5 years

Pros

Get paid every week. Great company.

Cons

None that I can think of....

None

Placement Director

I have been working at Special Counsel full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

A company that really cares about their employees and has unlimited resources for continuing growth and learning. This is a national company that has over 40 offices nationwide, so there is always someone located in or near a city where the client needs assistance.

Cons

Overcoming the usual perception of a "staffing agency" can be difficult

Recruiter

I worked at Special Counsel full-time

Pros

Great environment, benefits, encourage innovation, good interaction between branches, everyone really cares about the candidates

Cons

there was little room for growth

Contract work is what it is. For me, it is perfect.

Current Employee - Attorney, 8th-Year  in  Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Attorney, 8th-Year in Miami, FL

I have been working at Special Counsel

Pros

After reading some of the reviews here, I must say that contract work isn't for everyone. The project based work isn't particularly challenging, and because you are working on a paid hourly basis you do have to 'punch a clock', so to speak. But on the flip side, contract work has given me tremendous flexibility and work / life balance. My husband and I are both white collar professionals and have two small children. With two ambitious careers to manage (he's an accountant and also slave to the billable hour), something had to give and unfortunately, it was our children's care. Simply put, the sacrifices my children were making in the name of our careers became too much for me.

Contract work is beautifully simple. I am able to earn an income and stay 'out there' profesionally, while having the flexibility to dictate my hours and turn down assignments during the most hectic times of the year (can you say TAX season?!). It has really eased the stress in our household.

In the last ~year, I've had two assignments that were not project based, both related to asbestos litigation which is in line with my experience. Those were obviously more challenging, but the project work doesn't bother me too badly, really. In fact, there are many days when I am thankful NOT to be that lead attorney in the case, with full responsibility on his/her shoulders.

As far as Special Counsel goes, for legal contract work they are THE source in South Florida. I've been pretty pleased working with them. They are professional and generally respectful of my personal work/ life balance issues. Re: the poster who said they were dictating lunch breaks, frankly, I like the fact that they communicate the client's expectations very clearly. Moreover, I can appreciate that they have to represent their client's interests as well as mine.

I'd like to get back into practice some day, but not right now. For me, this is a good fit.

Cons

As mentioned above and in other posts, project work can be extremely tedious. For those who are looking for a career that challenges or even flexes the 'law school muscle', this is not the right type of work. There are other assignments available, depending on your level of expertise, but as mentioned they can be few and far between if related to a niche area of the law.

I would recommend that if contract work is not your cup of tea, work with the recruiters to get your foot in the door in a permanent position. An old friend of mine referred me to Special Counsel. He was recruited by them for an in-house IP position in Chicago, and loves it there.

I haven't really had any exposure to senior management while working as a consultant.

Very Supportive and Professional

Current Employee - Contract Attorney  in  New Orleans, LA
    Current Employee - Contract Attorney in New Orleans, LA

I have been working at Special Counsel

Pros

I've had nothing but a positive experience with Special Counsel. Even though I required a position that allowed telecommuting (positions which are very hard to find), the staff at Special Counsel continued to diligently pursue work for me.

They have been extremely supportive and professional, and I highly recommend them to anyone looking for contract work.

Cons

Money at a contract position is simply not going to be as high as working for a firm, but that is true anywhere, so this really isn't a complaint against Special Counsel. It's just the way contract work goes. Those complaining that they don't make over $50 per hour at a contract job are being unrealistic, in my view. Considering we're in a recession (and that law schools are pumping out new lawyers by the bucket-load), I'm simply happy to be working with a company that treats its employees like human beings.

Thanks very much to the New Orleans office for making my experience with Special Counsel run so smoothly- it has been much appreciated.

Great environment for professional growth

Former Employee - Administrator  in  Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Administrator in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at Special Counsel as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Company has great resources to enable its employees to succeed. It is a challenging work environment that pushes people to perform their best.

Cons

There will be really good months for business as well as very slow months. Must be prepared to deal with both ends of spectrum.

N/A

Worked for Special Counsel? Contribute to the Community!