Special Counsel

Updated Jul 10, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

John L. Marshall III

Pros:
  • "Great for contract work especially when new to a market"
    in 3 reviews
  • "I really enjoyed the people who worked along side of me, but that may be dependent upon the applicant pool"
    in 2 reviews
Cons:
  • "Recent graduates or people with less experience will have a tougher time getting placed, unless it is a document review project"
    in 4 reviews
  • "It's just the way contract work goes"
    in 3 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Very friendly environment! Flexible work schedule!

Document Reviewer/Contract Attorney (Former Employee)
    Dallas, TX

ProsWorking here provides you with the flexibility of practicing as a sole practitioner and interviewing for permanent employment. On most contracts, you determine your work hours after completing a day of training. Also, there are opportunities to work overtime on most projects and there is free parking depending on the location of the project. Lastly, the work environment is very friendly and relaxed. We get free lunches frequently!

ConsDue to the nature of the job, it is quite difficult (almost impossible) to qualify for benefits like vacation days, paid holidays, sick days, etc.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide at least paid holidays!

Great for contract and direct hire opportunities

Contractor (Current Employee)
    Austin, TX

ProsIf you are polished and have a strong skill set, they have plenty of opportunities for you.

ConsRecent graduates or people with less experience will have a tougher time getting placed, unless it is a document review project.

Great company to have working for you.

Legal Specialist (Former Employee)
    San Diego, CA

ProsSpecial Counsel works hard for you and they are very Professional.

ConsMostly temporary work, which can be tough.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Paralegal

Paralegal (Current Employee)
    New Orleans, LA

ProsGet paid every week. Great company.

ConsNone that I can think of....

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

Placement Director

ProsA company that really cares about their employees and has unlimited resources for continuing growth and learning. This is a national company that has over 40 offices nationwide, so there is always someone located in or near a city where the client needs assistance.

ConsOvercoming the usual perception of a "staffing agency" can be difficult

Recruiter

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat environment, benefits, encourage innovation, good interaction between branches, everyone really cares about the candidates

Consthere was little room for growth

Contract work is what it is. For me, it is perfect.

Attorney, 8th-Year (Current Employee)
    Miami, FL

ProsAfter reading some of the reviews here, I must say that contract work isn't for everyone. The project based work isn't particularly challenging, and because you are working on a paid hourly basis you do have to 'punch a clock', so to speak. But on the flip side, contract work has given me tremendous flexibility and work / life balance. My husband and I are both white collar professionals and have two small children. With two ambitious careers to manage (he's an accountant and also slave to the billable hour), something had to give and unfortunately, it was our children's care. Simply put, the sacrifices my children were making in the name of our careers became too much for me.

Contract work is beautifully simple. I am able to earn an income and stay 'out there' profesionally, while having the flexibility to dictate my hours and turn down assignments during the most hectic times of the year (can you say TAX season?!). It has really eased the stress in our household.

In the last ~year, I've had two assignments that were not project based, both related to asbestos litigation which is in line with my experience. Those were obviously more challenging, but the project work doesn't bother me too badly, really. In fact, there are many days when I am thankful NOT to be that lead attorney in the case, with full responsibility on his/her shoulders.

As far as Special Counsel goes, for legal contract work they are THE source in South Florida. I've been pretty pleased working with them. They are professional and generally respectful of my personal work/ life balance issues. Re: the poster who said they were dictating lunch breaks, frankly, I like the fact that they communicate the client's expectations very clearly. Moreover, I can appreciate that they have to represent their client's interests as well as mine.

I'd like to get back into practice some day, but not right now. For me, this is a good fit.

ConsAs mentioned above and in other posts, project work can be extremely tedious. For those who are looking for a career that challenges or even flexes the 'law school muscle', this is not the right type of work. There are other assignments available, depending on your level of expertise, but as mentioned they can be few and far between if related to a niche area of the law.

I would recommend that if contract work is not your cup of tea, work with the recruiters to get your foot in the door in a permanent position. An old friend of mine referred me to Special Counsel. He was recruited by them for an in-house IP position in Chicago, and loves it there.

Advice to Senior ManagementI haven't really had any exposure to senior management while working as a consultant.

Very Supportive and Professional

Contract Attorney (Current Employee)
    New Orleans, LA

ProsI've had nothing but a positive experience with Special Counsel. Even though I required a position that allowed telecommuting (positions which are very hard to find), the staff at Special Counsel continued to diligently pursue work for me.

They have been extremely supportive and professional, and I highly recommend them to anyone looking for contract work.

ConsMoney at a contract position is simply not going to be as high as working for a firm, but that is true anywhere, so this really isn't a complaint against Special Counsel. It's just the way contract work goes. Those complaining that they don't make over $50 per hour at a contract job are being unrealistic, in my view. Considering we're in a recession (and that law schools are pumping out new lawyers by the bucket-load), I'm simply happy to be working with a company that treats its employees like human beings.

Advice to Senior ManagementThanks very much to the New Orleans office for making my experience with Special Counsel run so smoothly- it has been much appreciated.

A rewarding and educational experience in jump starting my legal career.

Litigation Legal Secretary (Current Employee)
    Fort Lauderdale, FL

ProsSpecial Counsel's ability to discern and place the right candidate on the right assignment.

ConsBeing able to demonstrate self-motivation.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpecial Counsel is a wonderful and a professional company to work for

Contract Attorney

ProsFlexible hours; convenient work space; efficient support staff; pay is competitive but needs to increase as industry company project opportunities become more abundant

Conscould be better communication about assignment duration; needs to be better incentives for employees staffed on long duration assignments to maintain employee morale

Worked for Special Counsel? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Special Counsel reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Special Counsel CEO John L. Marshall III. All 52 reviews posted anonymously by Special Counsel employees.