Special Counsel

Updated Jul 10, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

John L. Marshall III

Pros:
  • "Great for contract work especially when new to a market"
    in 3 reviews
  • "I really enjoyed the people who worked along side of me, but that may be dependent upon the applicant pool"
    in 2 reviews
Cons:
  • "Recent graduates or people with less experience will have a tougher time getting placed, unless it is a document review project"
    in 4 reviews
  • "It's just the way contract work goes"
    in 3 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

A rewarding and educational experience in jump starting my legal career.

Litigation Legal Secretary (Current Employee)
    Fort Lauderdale, FL

ProsSpecial Counsel's ability to discern and place the right candidate on the right assignment.

ConsBeing able to demonstrate self-motivation.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpecial Counsel is a wonderful and a professional company to work for

Contract Attorney

ProsFlexible hours; convenient work space; efficient support staff; pay is competitive but needs to increase as industry company project opportunities become more abundant

Conscould be better communication about assignment duration; needs to be better incentives for employees staffed on long duration assignments to maintain employee morale

DC Contract Attorney

Contract Attorney (Current Employee)
    Washington, DC

ProsThere is a lot of work, long term projects, and overtime.

ConsYou can go through periods where you hear nothing. Projects can end abruptly. There is no growth potential.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Enjoyed working in my office, but not as a part of Special Counsel.

Legal Search Specialist (Former Employee)

ProsEnjoyed the people I worked with in my office for the most part but no real pros for the company overall.

ConsVery corporate setting and mindset. Feel like you're just another number working there. Didn't feel like I received the training I needed to succeed as a recruiter nor did I really know what my goals were. Was told by management weekly to just "do better" with no real training on how.

Advice to Senior ManagementTraining programs and clear goals and what they mean.

Long-term employee

Middle-Management (Former Employee)

ProsSpecial Counsel is a good company overall, and one comprised mostly of good people. I thoroughly enjoyed my tenure of many years as an on-staff, middle-management employee. The resources & tools provided are absolutely outstanding - surely better than in some other similar companies - and the company is quite generous when it comes to not minding spending the money to ensure we had proper representation at the appropriate events, for promotional items, client visits, and so forth. For it's size, it is also pretty amazing how close many of the personnel across the country feel toward one another. Very little negative competitiveness - only genuine happiness for each others success, which is very rare in any industry, and absolutely wonderful to have such a positive environment among co-workers.

ConsMy personal opinion after being there so many years is that there has simply become too much emphasis on administrative-type functions and on determining how & why we do the job via much unnecessary reporting, and less focus on the nuts & bolts of WHAT we do. By far my strongest productivity occurred when I was essentially left alone to do the recruiting, placement and business development functions of the job and simply get it done, and had less reporting, training, meetings, phone calls with upper management, etc. - the list seemed to never end. All is presented in a genuine manner of wanting to aid the field personnel in doing their best for the benefit of all, but took away too much productive time to be effective, instead, becoming increasingly counterproductive in the process as time went on and various misc. non-productive functions were continually added. This is a common complaint that has been discussed very regularly among field personnel for years, but one few feel comfortable admitting to upper management out of concern for rocking the boat or being viewed as a complainer.

Advice to Senior ManagementReduce non-productive functions and let the sales & placement results speak more for themselves until the results are not what are desired.

Very friendly environment! Flexible work schedule!

Document Reviewer/Contract Attorney (Former Employee)
    Dallas, TX

ProsWorking here provides you with the flexibility of practicing as a sole practitioner and interviewing for permanent employment. On most contracts, you determine your work hours after completing a day of training. Also, there are opportunities to work overtime on most projects and there is free parking depending on the location of the project. Lastly, the work environment is very friendly and relaxed. We get free lunches frequently!

ConsDue to the nature of the job, it is quite difficult (almost impossible) to qualify for benefits like vacation days, paid holidays, sick days, etc.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide at least paid holidays!

Casual, decent-paying, low-stress job

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Austin, TX

ProsCasual atmosphere, people are friendly, pretty easy to get your work done while listening to podcasts or music all day.

ConsNot always steady, sometimes projects end with very little notice, although the staff are good at rehiring and helping place you elsewhere. Very little chance for advancement unless you've been around a good long while, and even then it's not likely. High turnover.

Contract Document Review - it's alright.

Contract Associate (Former Employee)

ProsI enjoyed the atmosphere and flexibility of the job, the assignment I worked on did not allowed for overtime, but did not require it. The flexible temporary placement with them was nice as it still left me with time to focus on my continuing job search.

I really enjoyed the people who worked along side of me, but that may be dependent upon the applicant pool.

ConsVery little training before I started, sometimes hard to get in touch with the head of Special Counsel office, little to no possibility of permanent placement.

A lot of times I would be told that there was a position available, but it would often fall through.

Experience at Special Counsel

ProsThere really are no pros that I can think of. Management doesn't have a handle on the assignments they send their employees on and when asked for an improvement of the conditions/benefits they blame the head office.

ConsNo real benefits. No chance of growth. No progress reports or check-ins. Not hands-on. They don't seem to care about their employees and they don't Inspect their working conditions.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo better.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Great for contract and direct hire opportunities

Contractor (Current Employee)
    Austin, TX

ProsIf you are polished and have a strong skill set, they have plenty of opportunities for you.

ConsRecent graduates or people with less experience will have a tougher time getting placed, unless it is a document review project.

Worked for Special Counsel? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Special Counsel reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Special Counsel CEO John L. Marshall III. All 52 reviews posted anonymously by Special Counsel employees.