Special Counsel Reviews

Updated August 25, 2014
Updated August 25, 2014

3.6

John L. Marshall III

Pros
  • Great for contract work especially when new to a market (in 3 reviews)

• I really enjoyed the people who worked along side of me, but that may be dependent upon the applicant pool (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • Contract work with little room for promotions (in 4 reviews)

• Recent graduates or people with less experience will have a tougher time getting placed, unless it is a document review project (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Eh...

Current Employee - Attorney  in  Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Attorney in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Special Counsel as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

Will hire with out of state law license.

Cons

Pay is low and attorneys are treated like a commodity rather than employees. Permanent staff seem overworked and disengaged.

Figure out a way to treat attorneys like valued assets and moral and retention will improve.

not what its cracked up to be

Former Employee - Business Development Director  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Business Development Director in New York, NY

I worked at Special Counsel full-time for less than a year

Pros

nice midtown location in manhattan office

Cons

almost exclusively cold calling is the only way to make headway as a recruiter here.

Great environment for professional growth

Former Employee - Administrator  in  Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Administrator in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at Special Counsel as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Company has great resources to enable its employees to succeed. It is a challenging work environment that pushes people to perform their best.

Cons

There will be really good months for business as well as very slow months. Must be prepared to deal with both ends of spectrum.

N/A

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good Experience

Current Employee - Legal Consultant- Contract Attorney  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Legal Consultant- Contract Attorney in Washington, DC

I have been working at Special Counsel as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

The firms that I have worked with through this agency are top-notch. The staff at SCI is professional and responsive. If you are professional, hardworking, and are liked by the firms, they will keep you working.

Cons

Communication regarding the length, duration, and start of projects are sometimes lacking--- which is understandable because they are also dealing with the firms who are dealing with the client and the electronic services provider (and so it goes..); however, They should try to get information (even if it's simply that they are awaiting information from the client etc) over to contract attorneys who often times waiting "in the dark." The insurance that they offered to Consultants was terribly expensive and awful. They have now eliminated the insurance due to the Affordable Care Act' Health Exchange.

Continuing pursuing and maintaining great relationships with great firms.

Excellent opportunities for legal professionals.

Former Employee - Document Reviewer  in  Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Document Reviewer in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Special Counsel full-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexible hours and career opportunities.

Cons

Contract work with little room for promotions.

A rewarding and educational experience in jump starting my legal career.

Current Employee - Litigation Legal Secretary  in  Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Current Employee - Litigation Legal Secretary in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at Special Counsel full-time for more than a year

Pros

Special Counsel's ability to discern and place the right candidate on the right assignment.

Cons

Being able to demonstrate self-motivation.

Special Counsel is a wonderful and a professional company to work for

Contract Attorney

I have been working at Special Counsel

Pros

Flexible hours; convenient work space; efficient support staff; pay is competitive but needs to increase as industry company project opportunities become more abundant

Cons

could be better communication about assignment duration; needs to be better incentives for employees staffed on long duration assignments to maintain employee morale

DC Contract Attorney

Current Employee - Contract Attorney  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Contract Attorney in Washington, DC

I have been working at Special Counsel as a contractor for more than 3 years

Pros

There is a lot of work, long term projects, and overtime.

Cons

You can go through periods where you hear nothing. Projects can end abruptly. There is no growth potential.

Enjoyed working in my office, but not as a part of Special Counsel.

Former Employee - Legal Search Specialist
    Former Employee - Legal Search Specialist

I worked at Special Counsel full-time for more than a year

Pros

Enjoyed the people I worked with in my office for the most part but no real pros for the company overall.

Cons

Very corporate setting and mindset. Feel like you're just another number working there. Didn't feel like I received the training I needed to succeed as a recruiter nor did I really know what my goals were. Was told by management weekly to just "do better" with no real training on how.

Training programs and clear goals and what they mean.

Long-term employee

Former Employee - Middle-Management
    Former Employee - Middle-Management

I worked at Special Counsel full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Special Counsel is a good company overall, and one comprised mostly of good people. I thoroughly enjoyed my tenure of many years as an on-staff, middle-management employee. The resources & tools provided are absolutely outstanding - surely better than in some other similar companies - and the company is quite generous when it comes to not minding spending the money to ensure we had proper representation at the appropriate events, for promotional items, client visits, and so forth. For it's size, it is also pretty amazing how close many of the personnel across the country feel toward one another. Very little negative competitiveness - only genuine happiness for each others success, which is very rare in any industry, and absolutely wonderful to have such a positive environment among co-workers.

Cons

My personal opinion after being there so many years is that there has simply become too much emphasis on administrative-type functions and on determining how & why we do the job via much unnecessary reporting, and less focus on the nuts & bolts of WHAT we do. By far my strongest productivity occurred when I was essentially left alone to do the recruiting, placement and business development functions of the job and simply get it done, and had less reporting, training, meetings, phone calls with upper management, etc. - the list seemed to never end. All is presented in a genuine manner of wanting to aid the field personnel in doing their best for the benefit of all, but took away too much productive time to be effective, instead, becoming increasingly counterproductive in the process as time went on and various misc. non-productive functions were continually added. This is a common complaint that has been discussed very regularly among field personnel for years, but one few feel comfortable admitting to upper management out of concern for rocking the boat or being viewed as a complainer.

Reduce non-productive functions and let the sales & placement results speak more for themselves until the results are not what are desired.

Worked for Special Counsel? Contribute to the Community!