Special Counsel Reviews

Updated August 25, 2014
Updated August 25, 2014

3.6

John L. Marshall III

Pros
  • Great for contract work especially when new to a market (in 3 reviews)

• I really enjoyed the people who worked along side of me, but that may be dependent upon the applicant pool (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • Contract work with little room for promotions (in 4 reviews)

• Recent graduates or people with less experience will have a tougher time getting placed, unless it is a document review project (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Very friendly environment! Flexible work schedule!

Former Employee - Document Reviewer/Contract Attorney  in  Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Document Reviewer/Contract Attorney in Dallas, TX

I worked at Special Counsel as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

Working here provides you with the flexibility of practicing as a sole practitioner and interviewing for permanent employment. On most contracts, you determine your work hours after completing a day of training. Also, there are opportunities to work overtime on most projects and there is free parking depending on the location of the project. Lastly, the work environment is very friendly and relaxed. We get free lunches frequently!

Cons

Due to the nature of the job, it is quite difficult (almost impossible) to qualify for benefits like vacation days, paid holidays, sick days, etc.

Provide at least paid holidays!

Contract Document Review - it's alright.

Former Employee - Contract Associate
    Former Employee - Contract Associate

I worked at Special Counsel full-time for less than a year

Pros

I enjoyed the atmosphere and flexibility of the job, the assignment I worked on did not allowed for overtime, but did not require it. The flexible temporary placement with them was nice as it still left me with time to focus on my continuing job search.

I really enjoyed the people who worked along side of me, but that may be dependent upon the applicant pool.

Cons

Very little training before I started, sometimes hard to get in touch with the head of Special Counsel office, little to no possibility of permanent placement.

A lot of times I would be told that there was a position available, but it would often fall through.

Casual, decent-paying, low-stress job

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at Special Counsel full-time for more than a year

Pros

Casual atmosphere, people are friendly, pretty easy to get your work done while listening to podcasts or music all day.

Cons

Not always steady, sometimes projects end with very little notice, although the staff are good at rehiring and helping place you elsewhere. Very little chance for advancement unless you've been around a good long while, and even then it's not likely. High turnover.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great for contract and direct hire opportunities

Current Employee - Contractor  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Contractor in Austin, TX

I have been working at Special Counsel full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

If you are polished and have a strong skill set, they have plenty of opportunities for you.

Cons

Recent graduates or people with less experience will have a tougher time getting placed, unless it is a document review project.

Great company to have working for you.

Former Employee - Legal Specialist  in  San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Legal Specialist in San Diego, CA

I worked at Special Counsel as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Special Counsel works hard for you and they are very Professional.

Cons

Mostly temporary work, which can be tough.

Experience at Special Counsel

I have been working at Special Counsel

Pros

There really are no pros that I can think of. Management doesn't have a handle on the assignments they send their employees on and when asked for an improvement of the conditions/benefits they blame the head office.

Cons

No real benefits. No chance of growth. No progress reports or check-ins. Not hands-on. They don't seem to care about their employees and they don't Inspect their working conditions.

Do better.

Great experience at a short term project

I worked at Special Counsel

Pros

People are very open to communication, professional, willing to help you not only in your position but beyond that as well

Cons

Not much because it was based on a temporary project

Great on paper, horrible in practice

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Special Counsel full-time for more than a year

Pros

The only good thing to say about the company is that they are good at creating spin about themselves and that they have a presence in many markets. It's a large company so benefits are decent.

Cons

The company misrepresents itself all the time in interviews. They always tell a great story about how many clients they have, number of projects done,plans to expand, etc... What they do not tell is that 1) most of their clients are from smaller recruiting businesses that they by out and whose clients they loose. 2) they "win" clients by giving huge discounts on recruiting fees which means recruiters make very little. They actually have a scoreboard that gives management points for "winning clients" through markdowns which they give even when a client hasn't asked for one. 3) there are a few in management who have been there forever and they run the place like their playground. They are 100% uninterested in what anyone else has to say or on what competitors are doing. They are uninterested in how many support staff they run through. 4) turnover is atrocious. In the 2+ years I've been there! they've hired dozens of new recruiters and managers and nobody lasts more than 2 years, many only 6 months, even the experienced people. It's not any better on the administrative side. Management treats us poorly and attitudes are horrible. Ex. After hurricane Sandy hit Long Island, I was asked to contribute money to a fund for a senior manager who had a finished basement destroyed. He makes at least four times what the secretaries and admins do and we had property damage that nobody mentioned. The top tier of management commented on his bad luck and how we should all help. Not a word was said about anyone else and there were plenty who were hit as hard or worse. Ex. People who ask for help learning or for support are told "you can leave if you don't like it". For a company that constantly says how much they value people, it's more than a bit ironic that they place no value at all on their employees.

Senior management should be overhauled. There are a lot of people there who don't have a clue what they're doing and have no incentive to change since they're able to shift blame down the line without being questioned about it. no amount of bringing in and then firing people will change that basic problem.

I was happy for the opportunity, and the company has awareness and access to openings, but company chose bad leadership

Former Employee - Legal  in  Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Legal in Nashville, TN

I worked at Special Counsel as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

temporary work is convenient and can lead to other opportunities; company provides many leads for openings

Cons

temporary positions often have sketchy management; you have little leverage when you are a contract employee

you need to be very careful in whom you select to manage a group of temps

I was very pleased with my assignment.

Former Employee - Document Reviewer
    Former Employee - Document Reviewer

I worked at Special Counsel full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great enviroment for employees to work in. Provided coffee and office equipment for employees.

Cons

Projected ended abrubtly 3 months before we were told it would.

Management could have at least given employees a weeks notice to allow them to begin to find other employment.

Worked for Special Counsel? Contribute to the Community!