Special Olympics Reviews

Updated August 17, 2014
Updated August 17, 2014

4.2

Sargent Shriver

A position with Special Olympics gave me that feel good all over feeling everyday.

Former Employee - Area Support Coordinator  in  Tucson, AZ
    Former Employee - Area Support Coordinator in Tucson, AZ

I worked at Special Olympics full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Working with individuals with special needs puts life into perspective. These athletes show a special outlook on life and what is really important in life. Seeing the excitement when one of the athletes achieves a goal or competes in a competition lets me know what is really important in life.

Cons

There are several issues mainly dealing with non-profit companies. The biggest is funding and accessing sources for funding both the development and competition aspects of Special Olympics.

Management needs to maintain their focus on the desired result, individuals with intellectual disabilities (ID). They need to support all athletes with ID of all ages. Understand that athletes with ID in school based programs will need support once they leave the school system. Support to locally based programs with the same focus as other programs. There are more athletes in locally based programs then in school based programs.

Great company and people to work with

Former Employee - Development Department- Mid to Upper Level
    Former Employee - Development Department- Mid to Upper Level

I worked at Special Olympics as an intern for less than a year

Pros

I can't say much about personal growth and leadership opportunities, as I was just a summer intern. The higher up employees were very respectful and the cause is well worth the time put into work.

Cons

As an intern, I would have liked to be more involved in the event development and organization. However, my mentor could not have been better and it was a good experience.

Hard work leads to rewarding events and outcomes with the athletes.

Current Employee - Sport Manager  in  Morrisville, NC
    Current Employee - Sport Manager in Morrisville, NC

I have been working at Special Olympics full-time for more than a year

Pros

All your hard work benefits the athletes, excellent coworkers, everybody has the same mission

Cons

Some leadership conflicts with lower level employees,

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Awesome place to work!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Mequon, WI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mequon, WI

I worked at Special Olympics as an intern for more than a year

Pros

One of the most rewarding jobs to have. I was an intern and site coordinator for this organization and if they had any job openings for my area of study I would 100% have applied. Everyone there truly cares about the athletes and I see great things for the Special Olympics in the future.

Cons

None that I can think of

5 year volunteer for local area and state events in Texas

Former Employee - Equipment Management Volunteer
    Former Employee - Equipment Management Volunteer

I worked at Special Olympics as a contractor for more than 3 years

Pros

Great cause, leadership skills, humbles your personality. Well organized on state level.

Cons

Days can be very long (16 hours) for state events, Rude supervisors- who are volunteers at time- that are a detriment to returning volunteers. Can be severely unorganized on local level.

Take more interest in care in your volunteers. Too many lazy, rude, and patronizing supervisors for state & local events that scare away a vast amount of potential volunteers for the future.

A very good experience if you like non profits!

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Special Olympics

Pros

Everyone is very nice and willing to help to succeed.

Cons

Contacting everyone was a bit of a hassle

Public Relations and Social Media Intern

Current Employee - Public Relations and Social Media Intern  in  King of Prussia, PA
    Current Employee - Public Relations and Social Media Intern in King of Prussia, PA

I have been working at Special Olympics as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Good experience asa summer internship

Cons

Small company that with little growth potential

Worst experience ever

Former Employee - Program Director  in  Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Program Director in Austin, TX

I worked at Special Olympics full-time for more than a year

Pros

The athletes are great! They have a blast with the events that are put on by the senior staff.

Cons

Management doesn't know what they're doing; lack of communication between management and top volunteers; when the volunteers wanted to do something, management would say no, but when management wanted to do something, volunteers would say no.

it's all about politics working here.

They don't care about you at all by any means as they're all self-centered. On the surface, they act like they care about their employees, but they really don't.

When I was interviewed, they told me that the previous person in my position was there for 5+ years which was a lie. The previous Program Director was only there for about 3 months.

Working with Special Olympics has been one of the most rewarding things I have ever done. The athletes are great!

Former Employee - Retail Store Management  in  Lodi, CA
    Former Employee - Retail Store Management in Lodi, CA

I worked at Special Olympics full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Working with Special Olympics athletes helps me by keeping me grounded while also affording me the opportunity to work alongside the athletes

Cons

Every community of any significant size should participate in Special Olympics. The event coordinators, athletes and their families are very special people.

Work harder on micro-messaging. Too many supervisors employ behaviors that result in the message being right but the delivery method counter to what they really want people to know.

Great cause, but complete lack of leadership and managment

Former Employee - Communications Intern  in  Santa Barbara, CA
    Former Employee - Communications Intern in Santa Barbara, CA

I worked at Special Olympics as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Obviously for a great cause. People truly care about what they do. Small, intimate office. Got to interact with those that the organization helps.

Cons

Totally disorganized office. Leadership is also disorganized, would forget training appointments, and would simply not show up at a scheduled time to meet (this happened more than once). Lack of technological advancements in the office space.

Make a more sincere effort to act as a leader in regards to your employees.

Worked for Special Olympics? Contribute to the Community!