Specialized Marketing Services

Updated June 12, 2014

2.3

Gloria M. Robbins

Great place to work!

I have been working at Specialized Marketing Services full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great environment and benefits, good team of solid professionals in all areas. Well established family business run on solid family values. Very collaborative philosophy (no working in silos here). Relaxed atmosphere with dynamic and entrepreneurial leadership from the very top, definitely not Corporate America. 100% focus on delivering best service/product to client.

Cons

nothing major that springs to mind

keep up the good work, very happy here and looking forward to more good years ahead.

unsatisfying

I worked at Specialized Marketing Services full-time

Pros

it was close to my house and you could walk across the street for margaritas.

Cons

The management was very self involved and selfish, the family politics and favoritism along with outlandish requests made for a very hostile work environment.

Have some faith in your staff, and give them the proper support they need instead of betraying them.

The worst experience of my career.

I worked at Specialized Marketing Services full-time for less than a year

Pros

There are no pros to working here.

Cons

I could go on and on, but here are some highlights...first and foremost, their ownership/senior managers have no idea what they are doing, and worse, do not (or even will not) communicate with one another, so they are rarely even on the same page during what few projects they actually have. As a result you can expect to work ridiculously long hours just to have everything changed at the last possible moment due to their inability to make any kind of a decision. You can also expect to be bullied, berated, and belittled because you were not good enough at reading their minds or correctly interpreting their lack of direction to you. Combine this with the blamethrowing, combative corporate culture they've created and you'll see why they have such ludicrously high CLIENT and employee turnover.

None. They really don't care about their people, and it goes without saying (but I'll say it anyways) the business. It's truly shameful.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

This Place Is Dysfunction Defined

Former Employee - Account Manager  in  Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Irvine, CA

I worked at Specialized Marketing Services full-time for less than a year

Pros

I tried, but I can't think of one Pro to working here other than it teaches you how to deal with complex and abusive personalities.

Cons

Abusive environment, no direction from managment, long hours, small pay, horrible benefits, no team work, everyone in it for themselves, screw up jobs constantly, think they are a top ad agency, but crank out the worst creative I've ever seen.

Sell the place or just shut your doors before you ruin more lifes with your horrible managment style. I wouldn't recommend your place to my worst enemy.

Fast-Paced environment, good for those who bore easily

Former Employee - Account Manager  in  Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Irvine, CA

I worked at Specialized Marketing Services full-time for more than a year

Pros

Decent pay, cool clients, fun custom projects/challenges

Cons

Management leads by fear, very demeaning and rude. Countless hours of unpaid overtime since everyone is a "manager". Employees are not empowered to make decisions. No one is considerate of anyone's time and works to own beat. Too many meetings.

Figure out that the president and CFO hate each other and that the regular employees have to deal with the politics more than the actual work - cut the fat and you might see more revenue coming in.

There is never a dull moment and I like the interesting challenging work enviornment that includes some good mentors.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Santa Ana, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Ana, CA

I have been working at Specialized Marketing Services

Pros

There is some major talent here at SMS. While not everyone always agrees on the best way to do things, they come together to form a strategic business plan or marketing campaign that blowss the competition away. Gloria Robbins has done an amazing job of creating a full service company where a client can come and be taken care of from start to finish, and trust that it will be done right. What I find refreshing is that on the rare occasion when something has gone wrong, SMS, unlike other companies, takes full responsibility. They don't make excuses, they figure out how to fix it and make it right. I have full medical and dental benefits here along with a 401K plan. In addition, the pay is very competitive. We have recently aquired a couple of great new clients and in this economy that is very encouraging, so I hope to have this my position or another one in this company for a long time.

Cons

Yes, it's true that we do work long hours if there is a deadline that we need to meet. However, I don't see that as a con. It isn't every night or even every week, but when we promise something to our clients we have to deliver or we won't have jobs. While I may not always agree with management, who does? There are always some people you get along with better then others, it's just the way it is. I don't enjoy working with every person at SMS, that doesn't mean they don't bring something valuable to the table.

I would like more regular reviews.

Also felt micro managed and under appreciated

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Santa Ana, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Ana, CA

I worked at Specialized Marketing Services

Pros

Great for junior level wanting to learn marketing - specifically direct and only plan on staying in a job for a yeAr tops.

Cons

High employee churn, and high client churn. Micro managed, poorly managed, no creative vision, lead with fear and intimidation, no reviews, very long nights if there is any kind of deadline, too many cooks in the kitchen and too many conflicting opinions. Employees are never empowered to make decisions. Never any praise or incentive for good work, zero employee development.

No because they will never change.

Felt micro-managed and underappreciated

Current Employee - Account Manager  in  Santa Ana, CA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Santa Ana, CA

I have been working at Specialized Marketing Services

Pros

Working at SMS will definately prepare to work in Marketing. I would compare it to bootcamp. You might be completely miserable when you are ther but you will appreciate all you learned for the rest of your career.

Cons

It feels like the company wants everything from you and gives very little back in the way of compensation, benefits, time off. Also when there is a deliverable due you can count on staying till 9 or 10 about 80% of the time.

Perhaps the President should not art direct and should not micro manage the projects.

Worked for Specialized Marketing Services? Contribute to the Community!