Specialty's Cafe & Bakery

Updated Jun 13, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Dawn Saxton

Pros:
  • "High energy, meet great friends, no weekends, fast paced, not horrible hours"
    in 6 reviews
  • "starting pay of ten dollars an hour more then other fast food restaurants"
    in 5 reviews
Cons:
  • "Very high turnover rate, even in management"
    in 5 reviews
  • "Thus,putting more work on the employees and having them get it done in the same amount of time, for the same amount of pay"
    in 3 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great Start

Regional Training Manager (Current Employee)
    San Jose, CA

Proshelps people get their foot in the door, whether its for beginner cashier or first time in management. great place to begin your career

Consthings change sometimes so quickly. not enough planning done at times

Advice to Senior Managementremember what is it like to start from the beginning. communicate with team more often.

low to no visibility, no accountability or support from upper management

Closing Manager "lead (Former Employee)
    Irvine, CA

Proshonestly it's not worth your time.
    You will be expected to work harder than compensation entails.

Consno recognition of hard work and company loyalty.
    few hours, in which you are expected do more than the job you signed up for without equal compensation.

Advice to Senior Managementcommunicate and guide your staff more rather than stepping on them to get yourself ahead.
    reward and recognize those who truly go above and beyond the line of work. (i.e. "LEADS"/closing managers who work to make you look good by filling in doing all the jobs you won't hire additional people to do)

I wouldn't recommend this place to people I know even though I love their food.

Customer Service (Former Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsI love their food and I can't think of any other good reason.

ConsThey give a schedule and showed up to work and they cut your hours and send you home early or change your schedule without having the courtesy of calling you to let you know they change your starting time. They hire just about anybody to manage the place even if they can barely speak English and uneducated. The last manager I had was so annoying with an irritating voice and trying to catch you in the smallest mistake you make to get in your case and get you in trouble and eventually fired you. Make sure they'll put you to work in the position that you applied for because I applied for a customer service position and they put me to work in production in the back when I clearly applied for a front customer service position.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagers need more training in treating all the employees fairly and stop playing favors and not to use their position just to fire people and give more and better hours to your buddies.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Stay Away

Cafe Manager (Former Employee)
    Seattle, WA

ProsStrong chance of a M-F schedule, which is hard to find in the restaurant industry. The food quality is phenomenal. This is a made from scratch bakery, and they are very well known for their freshness and especially their amazing cookies. As a customer, this place is awesome. They pride themselves on being both a restaurant and a technology company, and I will say that they have been very successful at both. It is just a shame that the point of view is completely different on the other side of the counter.

ConsCompensation for managers start out at $16/hr which sounds nice, but there is no bonus potential until you reach Area GM level, and even then, it is hard to obtain. They pile on the expectation, with little to no support. Day usually starts at 5:30am and you are lucky to get out before 6pm on most days. The stress levels are very high, and the upper management uses fear as a means to motivate. I wouldn't wish this company on anyone.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your people. Stop using fear and intimidation to attempt to motivate. Simplify your processes, and start taking care of your employees. I literally watched the evolution of an external hire Area Manager go from a positive, encouraging and highly looked upon leader to a stressed out, visually unhappy and demeaning person in a matter of months. This person came from a much larger role, so it wasn't the workload that turned her this way...it was the culture. Things need to change.

I've had excellent leadership, mentor ship, and growth opportunities.

ProsWide open growth potential. This company is headed in the right direction and has the right upper level leadership in place to flourish

ConsThe company is in a period of transition and while things are steadily improving it currently requires a strong ability to handle change and uncertainty.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing!

Well-paid position that unfortunately suffers from a lack of soul within this corporate monolith.

Walking Delivery (Current Employee)

Pros- Delivery positions get paid well, especially compared to the other positions.
    - Minimal supervision when on delivery.
    - Most of the in-store managers I have worked with are very nice and down-to-earth.

Cons- Very corporate, no different from a Subway after years of standardization. A palpable lack of soul in a wasteland of mass production. I suppose this wouldn't be as large of a negative if they didn't market themselves as 'made from scratch'.
    - Profit rules everything, cost cutting at every corner. Pre-packaged food made with the cheapest possible ingredients marketed as fresh, no employee break room, no lockers, no rain jackets, broken carts, etc.

Everyone is treated like a factory worker, including corporate employees.

Corporate (Former Employee)
    Pleasanton, CA

ProsWeekends are free, culture appears professional

ConsThe office has shoulder height cubes. They mandate that no items be above the cubicle wall. They have omnidirectional cameras mounted on the ceiling where everyone can be observed. Every conversation is broadcast throughout the entire region of the office.

It's a top-down hierarchy where to be a good employee, you must do what your told.

Obviously, they don't have much trust in their employees.

Very little leadership, only action from above.

Advice to Senior ManagementAsk what the employees might need even if you think you have a solution. Your employees know what they want, you might not be able to deliver, but at least take a survey.

It's a good job if you are willing to put up with a lot of bull sh*t

Kitchen Team (Current Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsStarts of at $10 an hour minimum for all employees(Average in SF or San Jose CA area)Bakers make closer to $12. Drivers make good money. Work 20 hours a week as a driver and do a lot of deliveries($5 per delivery) your pay check can add up to around $1000 every 2 weeks. Most stores are closed weekends. Work no later then 8pm. Family environment. No drug testing so if you are stoner you are welcome here.

ConsI don't know where to start. I was with the company for over 4 years and can honestly say that all of these negative reviews are 100% correct. Management does not appreciate its employees. At the end of the day you are $$ to them. If you go to HR with a problem don't expect anything to be done. If you get on one of the managers bad sides, you will be lucky to get any work hours. Specialty's is currently facing a $2 million dollar law suit for many reasons. Mainly not giving breaks when necessary, not compensating for overtime hours worked by employees. Not reimbursing drivers for gas, or other expenses company related. ALSO, Specialty's seams to hire just about anybody without any background investigating. Alot of good people get hired but I've seen some shady people get hired(Drug addicts/ex cons)

I would not recommend this place to anyone that I know

Kitchen Team (Former Employee)
    Chicago, IL

Prosweekends off, starting pay above min. wage but it is pointless when your hours get cut from 35 a week to 18 because the place is mismanaged and losing customers to the local competition.

Consyou are not told before getting hired that you would have to walk miles to other restaurants to pick up products and deliver catering orders.employess are treated like crap by management.no respect or appreciation is shown,morale is very low.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement need People Training. Labor $ should not be put before customers.Most of the shifts are understaffed and customers are going to other restaurants where the staffing is better and the service is quicker.

Favoritism and backstabbing abundant

Kichen Worker (Former Employee)
    Chicago, IL

Pros- Downtown location
    - Higher than average base pay
    - Weekends off

Cons- Understaffed
    - Confidential employee info shared with unauthorized employees
    - Favoritism
    - "Cult" mentality
    - Condescending attitude of MGMT
    - Lack of hours
    - Sexual harassment
    - High turnover rate
    - Spoiled product
    - Low quality ingredients and cooking procedures
    - Retaliation for reporting harassment.

This list can go on and on. Specialty's is one of the worst jobs I've ever had. Don't be fooled by the reviews from management on here; this job is too good to be true. When they say it is a demanding job, it is not because the work is demanding, but that management is all about the bottom line, and has cut hours and staff in order to have a larger profit. Thus,putting more work on the employees and having them get it done in the same amount of time, for the same amount of pay. It is demanding because management chooses to make it demanding, but there is no reason for it.

This company is losing it's customer base and profit in the Chicago area due to understaffing and lack of quality product. Like the other reviewers have said, people would rather go somewhere else than wait in line for fifteen minutes to order, then another fifteen to actually get their food that isn't even good enough to back up the insane price.

The uniform you wear is a ruse. A chef's hat and chef's pants that are used by culinary schools in the area to give off an illusion of professionalism. No one is a chef there and the most cooking done is in a microwave.

Unless you like being yelled at every five minutes for trivial things and given contradictory orders from management, while receiving substandard hours and making about $8.20/ hr after taxes, don't work here.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou're trying to be something that you're not. It's just a sandwich shop and corporate fastfood cafeteria, but you're trying to come off as a four star restaurant. Quit dreaming, open your eyes, and start treating your employees better before you lose your entire experienced staff.

Worked for Specialty's Cafe & Bakery? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Specialty's Cafe & Bakery reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Specialty's Cafe & Bakery CEO Dawn Saxton. All 59 reviews posted anonymously by Specialty's Cafe & Bakery employees.