www.specialtycare.net

Updated September 25, 2014
2.3

Mel Hall

On the Right Path!

I have been working at SpecialtyCare full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

SpecialtyCare, since Day 1, has been creating something new: offering a broad menu of clinical services in and around the OR, rather than focusing on just one specialty. Innovating is difficult, with many bumps in the road. A recent big bump was unsettling to many employees, but I'm (even more so) convinced we're on the right path. Management is respectful, considerate, but demanding -- as an innovative enterprise should be! My experience: no politics, respectful interactions, smart people.

Cons

Uncertainty of impacts from recent CEO change and related changes in focuses and priorities.

Appreciate the talents, work ethic, and loyalty of each employee. A motivated, loyal employee is a high-value asset.

The Wal Mart of IONM companies

Former Employee - Surgical Neurophysiologist in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Surgical Neurophysiologist in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at SpecialtyCare full-time (more than an year)

Pros

SpecialtyCare has a large national presence with opportunities for relocation if desired

Cons

Large bureaucratic structure makes it difficult to implement any constructive changes. The company regards all of its employees as expendable commodities and makes this very clear through its actions, which is demoralizing and alienating to the clinical staff. The majority of SpecialtyCares service lines are technician based, but they don't seem to realize that they also employee professional clinicians who expect to be treated as such.

Only an IOM Job not a future.

Current Employee - Senior Intraoperative Clinician in Mobile, AL
    Current Employee - Senior Intraoperative Clinician in Mobile, AL

I have been working at SpecialtyCare full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

If you need a job it will do until another opens up. The supervisors and managers are usually in another state. The company is burning through so much money it will go under soon. Promotions are you joking. Get out before the lights go out, pray that your check is still good.

Cons

If you think you can make a career at SC , stop take a good hard look at your coworkers. All fairly young just starting out many with no or little training, most likely any training was from a previous employer.Training Forget About It,Professionalism does not exist at SC, even the paycheck is getting smaller as the work load grows.

Remove your legacy management , no one will ever trust them to do the right thing, they have obligations to the good old boy network that positioned them when the acquisition was getting ready to take place. Stop hiring Nurses and Instrumentation sales personnel that could not make the grade in their chosen field. What makes you think that a person with little or no clinical experience could be an effective Managers or Supervisors. Weak up your employee turn over rate is far too high for a company your size.

Boring mundane job with no advancement and dismal salary

Current Employee - Clinical Technician
    Current Employee - Clinical Technician

I have been working at SpecialtyCare full-time

Pros

Flexible hours. Good amount of PTO time.

Cons

No communication between management and local teams. Dismal Salary. 80 hours of call per month with no compensation. No advancement. Middle management is the worst I've seen.

Communication with local teams. better salary.

Embarrassment to Perfusion.

Current Employee - Perfusionist in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Perfusionist in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at SpecialtyCare full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The only reason to work for this company as a perfusionist is if you have exhausted all other options and are desperate to have a job - they'll hire you if you have a pulse.

Cons

The CEO seems like an honorable guy - but it doesn't trickle down into the mid levels of management. zero integrity, and zero interest in making the people who make the money happy.

$25 gift card as a yearly bonus is an insult.

Management Mess

Current Employee - Representative in Brentwood, TN
    Current Employee - Representative in Brentwood, TN

I have been working at SpecialtyCare full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I was hired without any recent experience in healthcare. I will always be grateful for the opportunity I was given to get my foot in the door via intake/scheduling. The pay is not bad for this low-level position. I was a student and this was a perfect position for a student as I could study during downtime.

Cons

Huge turnover; I have worked under 3 CEOs, 4 Directors, 4 Managers, and 3 Supervisors (all of whom were fired), and I am the only associate in my department left from when it was formed 3.5 yrs ago. In fact, there are very few associates left that were employed when I came. Privately held company with unhappy investors due to inadequate returns. Absolutely no chance of advancement. Work environment often hostile with no resolution to complaints. Upper management will not answer phone calls or emails. Difficult to maintain a positive attitude. Has proved to me that (1) no good deed goes unpunished, and (2) nice guys finish last. I feel that I have no choice but to move on, and I would have been willing to spend my career there.

The new CEO has yet to prove himself, but it does appear he is interested by holding breakfast meetings, and attempts at reaching out to staff (I recently got an email from him congratulating me on my years of service, the first time this has ever been recognized). My advice is take a sincere interest in your staff. Take to heart your words...evaluations this year were about personal career goals, but absolutely nothing done by management to work toward them even for those of us that have received higher education and credentials that have proven themselves to be stellar associates, and certainly deserve a chance. Foster a team atmosphere, address the issues when they arise, communicate with staff, make an effort to keep your good associates rather than alienating them. Create and maintain a culture of recognition for accomplishments and outstanding ethics via an occasional pat on the back, work towards eliminating hostility by creating exercises to build team spirit and good relationships, stop the practices of stifling creativity, subtrafuge, and even flat-out lies by management. My advice to the CEO is to hire a consultant to work at the Brentwood office to discover why the turnover is enormous, the profits are not up to par, and many of the staff are very unhappy.

Amazing company - always focused on the patient.

I have been working at SpecialtyCare full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

This company seems to put patient care first. Co-workers and management are accessable and friendly. They have given me opportunities to grow and learn. I like the people I work with and I am glad to be a part of this team. SpecialtyCare has hospitals all over the US and there is relocation opportunity which is nice.

Cons

No cons - I really enjoy working for SpecialtyCare. I have worked for many health care companies over the years and they do a great job. They have provided a lot of training and have a lot of classes on-line.

Keep focusing on the patient.

Still Wondering

Former Employee - Surgical Neurophysiologist
    Former Employee - Surgical Neurophysiologist

I worked at SpecialtyCare full-time

Pros

Salary and independence to make decisions with the ability to utilize problem solving skills

Cons

no growth or promotions, horrible management, no work life balance, excessive travel

Be honest and don't say a position is something it is not. Be a part of the solution and not the problem. Go in the OR sometime and become a real part of the team.

Great senior management, good benefits

I worked at SpecialtyCare full-time

Pros

Great senior leadership, approachable CEO (Mike Mauldin), good health benefits and 401k match

Cons

Pay slightly below average, long hours, communication could have been timelier in a lot of cases. Many employees didn't feel connected to the corporate office, but felt more connected with their local hospitals

They eat there young and support horrible management practices.

Former Employee - Minimally Invasive Support Services, Specialty Care
    Former Employee - Minimally Invasive Support Services, Specialty Care

I worked at SpecialtyCare full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It is a job. You are gauranteed 40 hours minimum of work per week. There PTO accrual is decent for new team mates.

Cons

Fat chance getting to use any PTO you might get. Management supports only old SSI team mates any old other companies members forget about it once your acquired you dont exist. The HR department is beyond crooked....no anonymity there when it comes to concerns about team mate safety. Complaint investigation is a joke.

Allow all team mates to achieve some work/life balance not just the upper crust. Show appreciation to all not just your management. Listen to valid concerns. Forget the annual meeting and give some of that money to team mates instead of max raises of 3%. Stop buying companies and improve what you have. Follow your own core values. Lastly promote from within

SpecialtyCare Photos