SpecialtyCare Reviews

2.3

Mel Hall

On the Right Path!

I have been working at SpecialtyCare full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

SpecialtyCare, since Day 1, has been creating something new: offering a broad menu of clinical services in and around the OR, rather than focusing on just one specialty. Innovating is difficult, with many bumps in the road. A recent big bump was unsettling to many employees, but I'm (even more so) convinced we're on the right path. Management is respectful, considerate, but demanding -- as an innovative enterprise should be! My experience: no politics, respectful interactions, smart people.

Cons

Uncertainty of impacts from recent CEO change and related changes in focuses and priorities.

Appreciate the talents, work ethic, and loyalty of each employee. A motivated, loyal employee is a high-value asset.

Boring mundane job with no advancement and dismal salary

Current Employee - Clinical Technician
    Current Employee - Clinical Technician

I have been working at SpecialtyCare full-time

Pros

Flexible hours. Good amount of PTO time.

Cons

No communication between management and local teams. Dismal Salary. 80 hours of call per month with no compensation. No advancement. Middle management is the worst I've seen.

Communication with local teams. better salary.

Embarrassment to Perfusion.

Current Employee - Perfusionist  in  Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Perfusionist in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at SpecialtyCare full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The only reason to work for this company as a perfusionist is if you have exhausted all other options and are desperate to have a job - they'll hire you if you have a pulse.

Cons

The CEO seems like an honorable guy - but it doesn't trickle down into the mid levels of management. zero integrity, and zero interest in making the people who make the money happy.

$25 gift card as a yearly bonus is an insult.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Management Mess

Current Employee - Representative  in  Brentwood, TN
    Current Employee - Representative in Brentwood, TN

I have been working at SpecialtyCare full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I was hired without any recent experience in healthcare. I will always be grateful for the opportunity I was given to get my foot in the door via intake/scheduling. The pay is not bad for this low-level position. I was a student and this was a perfect position for a student as I could study during downtime.

Cons

Huge turnover; I have worked under 3 CEOs, 4 Directors, 4 Managers, and 3 Supervisors (all of whom were fired), and I am the only associate in my department left from when it was formed 3.5 yrs ago. In fact, there are very few associates left that were employed when I came. Privately held company with unhappy investors due to inadequate returns. Absolutely no chance of advancement. Work environment often hostile with no resolution to complaints. Upper management will not answer phone calls or emails. Difficult to maintain a positive attitude. Has proved to me that (1) no good deed goes unpunished, and (2) nice guys finish last. I feel that I have no choice but to move on, and I would have been willing to spend my career there.

The new CEO has yet to prove himself, but it does appear he is interested by holding breakfast meetings, and attempts at reaching out to staff (I recently got an email from him congratulating me on my years of service, the first time this has ever been recognized). My advice is take a sincere interest in your staff. Take to heart your words...evaluations this year were about personal career goals, but absolutely nothing done by management to work toward them even for those of us that have received higher education and credentials that have proven themselves to be stellar associates, and certainly deserve a chance. Foster a team atmosphere, address the issues when they arise, communicate with staff, make an effort to keep your good associates rather than alienating them. Create and maintain a culture of recognition for accomplishments and outstanding ethics via an occasional pat on the back, work towards eliminating hostility by creating exercises to build team spirit and good relationships, stop the practices of stifling creativity, subtrafuge, and even flat-out lies by management. My advice to the CEO is to hire a consultant to work at the Brentwood office to discover why the turnover is enormous, the profits are not up to par, and many of the staff are very unhappy.

Amazing company - always focused on the patient.

I have been working at SpecialtyCare full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

This company seems to put patient care first. Co-workers and management are accessable and friendly. They have given me opportunities to grow and learn. I like the people I work with and I am glad to be a part of this team. SpecialtyCare has hospitals all over the US and there is relocation opportunity which is nice.

Cons

No cons - I really enjoy working for SpecialtyCare. I have worked for many health care companies over the years and they do a great job. They have provided a lot of training and have a lot of classes on-line.

Keep focusing on the patient.

Still Wondering

Former Employee - Surgical Neurophysiologist
    Former Employee - Surgical Neurophysiologist

I worked at SpecialtyCare full-time

Pros

Salary and independence to make decisions with the ability to utilize problem solving skills

Cons

no growth or promotions, horrible management, no work life balance, excessive travel

Be honest and don't say a position is something it is not. Be a part of the solution and not the problem. Go in the OR sometime and become a real part of the team.

Great senior management, good benefits

I worked at SpecialtyCare full-time

Pros

Great senior leadership, approachable CEO (Mike Mauldin), good health benefits and 401k match

Cons

Pay slightly below average, long hours, communication could have been timelier in a lot of cases. Many employees didn't feel connected to the corporate office, but felt more connected with their local hospitals

They eat there young and support horrible management practices.

Former Employee - Minimally Invasive Support Services, Specialty Care
    Former Employee - Minimally Invasive Support Services, Specialty Care

I worked at SpecialtyCare full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

It is a job. You are gauranteed 40 hours minimum of work per week. There PTO accrual is decent for new team mates.

Cons

Fat chance getting to use any PTO you might get. Management supports only old SSI team mates any old other companies members forget about it once your acquired you dont exist. The HR department is beyond crooked....no anonymity there when it comes to concerns about team mate safety. Complaint investigation is a joke.

Allow all team mates to achieve some work/life balance not just the upper crust. Show appreciation to all not just your management. Listen to valid concerns. Forget the annual meeting and give some of that money to team mates instead of max raises of 3%. Stop buying companies and improve what you have. Follow your own core values. Lastly promote from within

Greedy Management Practice

Current Employee - MISS  in  Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - MISS in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at SpecialtyCare full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

You need a job they will hire you

Cons

No call pay, it's called, Call Track hours that you log on and it's mandated, even if you are not on call, you have to take it. Call Track Hours does not show on your pay stub as if it doesn't exist and never happened. I do minimum of 80 hour of call time Per Week. Long working hours with no relief ever. Management tells you on a good day, if you need help call them and when you are crazy buzy or when things are not right and you call them, they can't come and they have no-one to send. You are on your own. They make you drown and look bad. You can't take/use your PTO time. No bonuses. Very low wages. Get re-titled and then get a wage cut. Horrible benefits and expensive. No personal life. You can't take a part time job because you are always on call. You can't go to school because you are always on call. Management does not back you up. Old hospital equipment. You need to cover SpecialtyCare up, hospital blames you and so does management. Too many chiefs that do not do clinical work. Management travels to useless rah-rah management meetings all over the country (what a waste). They throw lavish parties.
    They will lie to your face. Big Boys Club. If you are a woman expect to be paid lower than men for the same job. Honestly if Hospitals knows the contamination and horrible equipment and even lazyness of a lot of the clinicians are mainly because why should they do more.
     Hospitals can so do this and save a hell of a lot of money.
    Mikes motto, "Thanks for all you do," is that the reason why you are leaving. SpecialtyCare big boss in chaos. Very discrimating, sadly they have been favoring minorities because as I was told, they do exactly what management says and the pay is lower.
    The no-compete claus is rediculous and leaves you in changing your career this is why you see people staying and working for this company for a long period of time. We are stuck and they know it, use it and abuse it.

Update your equipment. Show your appreciations to your workers no matter what they do. PAY CALL HOURS!!! Management already makes and has an amazing salary and perks. Share your bonuses with your entire department equally and don't be greedy and keep it to yourself.

The worst of the worst, by far. Stay away from Specialty Care at all costs.

Current Employee - Staff Perfusionist  in  Tri-Cities, TX
    Current Employee - Staff Perfusionist in Tri-Cities, TX

I have been working at SpecialtyCare full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

They will hire anyone with a pulse. They have to.

Cons

This is a trainwreck of a company. They will tell you anything to get you hired, then welch on all of their grand promises. Terrible pay. Terrible benefits. No hope for advancement. Not to mention, their infamous 'no-compete claus' will destroy your life when they inevitably lose their contract.
    Former posters who talked about how SCSG is " a wonderful place to work " and " keep on encouraging us " are obviously company schills. Totally, laughable. No one who has any history with them would ever say anything like that. Cute tactics SCSG, just another lie. Don't fall for their scam.

Stop what you are doing now! Get out of the Perfusion business before you totally destroy it. Didn't you consider all the lives and families you are ruining? You gain and lose contracts and dont care that whole families are uprooted and forced to move. You are in danger of running an entire industry into the ground. You have destroyed the wages for an entire segment of healthcare workers.You have no sense of ethics/morality or social responsibility.

Worked for SpecialtyCare? Contribute to the Community!