SpecialtyCare Reviews

Mel Hall

1. Fun, interesting and challenging

Current Employee - Perfusionist in Phila, PA
    Current Employee - Perfusionist in Phila, PA

I have been working at SpecialtyCare

Pros

Longstanding success and continuous improvement

Cons

Some older equiptment that breaks easily

Advice to Management

Keep moving forward with process improvement and EHR implementation

2. Okay experience (IOM Team)

Current Employee - Surgical Neurophysiologist in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Surgical Neurophysiologist in Orlando, FL

I have been working at SpecialtyCare full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Having a good manager made working there a lot easier. He was a great team player and always supported me.

Cons

1) Salary - SpecialtyCare is backed by a venture capital firm. That means they only care about profits. Therefore they will not give you raises; they will always find few things to "need improvement" on yearly reviews to limit your pay. In 3 years of working there, not a single hospital employee or a surgeon complained about me and I only received one raise.

2) Travel - They cover a lot of hospitals; get ready to be on the road at least one day a week. (Pretty much same as any other IOM company)

Advice to Management

Improve billing process then share some of the profits with the techs so they don't feel robbed. They do most of hard work, while you make deals by acquiring more companies.

Go public - we want to see the balance sheet

3. Miss-Clinician (11 years)

Former Employee - Group Supervisor
    Former Employee - Group Supervisor

I worked at SpecialtyCare full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

It's a job. No supervision...the company is stationed in Tennessee. The staff that you meet in various hospitals are great, better than your coworkers at Specialtycare.

Cons

I need to write a novel about this company and its shady business practices. Specialtycare should change their name to WeReallyDontcare. The "managers" in this company are not managers they are bosses. Since the HR department is in Tennessee the field managers will make you look unfavourable to the company and upper management if you stand up for yourself. There is a systematic discrimination that is seen throughout the entire company, sort of like the good ole boy system. The wages are low compared to competing companies and you are just a number...no one knows you. If you are a female in this company you definitely will earn less than your male counterparts. You are given a yearly review by your supervisors who never work with you. Can you really evaluate someone whom you haven't seen in months. When you disagree with management they try to write you up or write unfavourable reviews about you to make you look like a problem employee. If you make a complaint to HR about your manager it does not remain anonymous. After sending in your concerns, management indirectly retaliates against you. I've worked with individuals who don't show up for work or they have been notoriously late but they never get reprimanded because they don't complain to HR about management. The people who are clinical managers, district managers, or any type of managers are incompetent. HR is a joke, they blacklist "complainers" also. Many got their positions through being friends or family members even though the handbook says that this is not allowed. The management on the field love disunity they do not like when everyone works well together. The company as a whole is a joke!!!!

Advice to Management

Should I give advice to management if the advice fall on deaf ears. How about have your clinical managers come into work instead of stealing company hours and saying that they come in to work when they are definitely not on the field. How about promoting and keeping managers who are actually great employees instead of giving someone a title because they worked in the corporate office or because their brother gave them a title. Specialtycare if you take over companies why don't you restructure the management instead of leaving the same idiots in charge. Stop sending out emails saying that we do a great job when our pay doesn't reflect that. How about when you are on call and work 12 hours we get compensated for it. Also stop reducing people's pay by saying their titles changed. This company has been sued numerous times by employees and have lost. I advise anyone to never apply at this mess of a corporation.

5. STAY AWAY.. RUN FROM THIS COMPANY!

Current Employee - Perfusionist in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Perfusionist in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at SpecialtyCare full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There are absolutely NO Pros to working for Specialty Care. This company has been a detriment to the perfusion profession. No one from our in house staff group wanted to work for Specialty Care but the infinite wisdom of the senior leaders at our hospital thought outsourcing would save $$$ oh boy! Did they figure wRONg!

Cons

Con is right. The whole company is a Con. They will sneak in back door of your hospital give their dog and pony show, make some back door deals with senior leadership. And this is how they get accounts...at the cost of reducing (20-30%) of your salary and benefits....after year 1 the hospital realizes it was a huge mistake where it actually cost more then it did with in house staff. At this point it's too late because they usually sign a 3-5 year contract with non competes and a massive buy back option if hospital does not renew contract. In other words, it becomes very costly for hospital to go back to an in house staff. Lol ... They basically have to buy their original Perfusionist back at 2x yearly salary. If you are reading this you know who you are! At our institution they went as far as cost shifting expenses to other services to shield total expenses of Specialty Care thus creating a "pseudo savings".
    Even the head of the board of directors agreed " worst contract ever signed at this institution "
    The saying on the street is " if you can't get a job as a Perfusionist anywhere else go to Specialty Care".
    Just look at all national Perfusionist jobs...why does Specialty Care have so many openings? Is it because they are such a great company to work for or is it because no one wants to work for them? I'll let you decide.. It's really easy.

Advice to Management

Most managers are mere puppets. Clinically marginal at best but for the most part not the sharpest tools in the shed. Probably why they are in those positions. Again you know who you are.

Specialtycare Perfusion (formerly Hospital Clinical Services Group, Fresenius Medical Care, etc)

Former Employee - Perfusionist in DFW, TX
    Former Employee - Perfusionist in DFW, TX

I worked at SpecialtyCare full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

National perfusion company. Can relocate you to various locations across the country, including Puerto Rico. They will hire literally anyone looking for employment. Not selective. That's about it.

Cons

Too many to list, but here are some of the common complaints my perfusion colleagues and I agree on about Specialtycare. These feedbacks are from current and previous employees that have worked for Specialtycare within the last 10 years. Local management has little integrity and lack of accountability. Most are perfusionists-turned salesmen. Turnover is relatively high, and the main reason for the employees resigning is management. Also, compared to other perfusionists in the DFW, Specialtycare's compensation is one of the lowest in the area (15-20% below average). Benefits are minimal. No potential for personal growth, other than to leave the company. Although not emphasized at time of hire, management will force employees to travel to other accounts against the employees' will. Also, management's main focus is on sales and bottom line, often at the expense of quality patient care. Numerous inputs from employees on methods to improve patient care were dismissed, not only due to cost but often due to politics. Specialtycare is quick to hire new grads instead of experience clinicians to minimize cost, despite their customers’ (surgeons, hospital staff, patients) true service needs. A hospital staff quoted “Your boss (Specialtycare) is trying to sell me everything under the sun! Give me heads up so I can go hide when he comes around.” Most current employees will attest to this sad culture that exist within Specialtycare. Majority would leave if other opportunities were available. Unfortunately, perfusion is a small market and the company has a monopoly in Ft. Worth.

Advice to Management

Perfusion, in general, is no longer a profitable service industry. Furthermore, unlike other smaller perfusion service companies, Specialtycare has too many levels of management to maintain profitability. Smaller local companies have successfully managed with minimal overhead (less than 15%). The key to their success is that management involve themselves in the clinical aspects and contribute to the service side of the company, not just the sales. Also, these smaller companies are local and are more sensitive to the customer’s unique needs. Specialtycare upper administration on the other hand, is trying to manage inefficiently across state borders. Although Specialtycare can argue that perfusion disposables help maintain profitability, most hospitals are becoming more efficient and ordering direct from the manufacturers. Baylor/Scott & White and HCA have already made this transition. Other hospitals will soon follow. The writing on the wall is clear; "Perfusion services should NOT be managed by third party vendors, i.e. Specialtycare." The company will not be profitable in the long-term. Something has to give, patient quality or Specialtycare staying afloat.

The Wal Mart of IONM companies

Former Employee - Surgical Neurophysiologist in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Surgical Neurophysiologist in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at SpecialtyCare full-time (More than a year)

Pros

SpecialtyCare has a large national presence with opportunities for relocation if desired

Cons

Large bureaucratic structure makes it difficult to implement any constructive changes. The company regards all of its employees as expendable commodities and makes this very clear through its actions, which is demoralizing and alienating to the clinical staff. The majority of SpecialtyCares service lines are technician based, but they don't seem to realize that they also employee professional clinicians who expect to be treated as such.

8. Boring mundane job with no advancement and dismal salary

Current Employee - Clinical Technician
    Current Employee - Clinical Technician

I have been working at SpecialtyCare full-time

Pros

Flexible hours. Good amount of PTO time.

Cons

No communication between management and local teams. Dismal Salary. 80 hours of call per month with no compensation. No advancement. Middle management is the worst I've seen.

Advice to Management

Communication with local teams. better salary.

Only an IOM Job not a future.

Current Employee - Senior Intraoperative Clinician in Mobile, AL
    Current Employee - Senior Intraoperative Clinician in Mobile, AL

I have been working at SpecialtyCare full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you need a job it will do until another opens up. The supervisors and managers are usually in another state. The company is burning through so much money it will go under soon. Promotions are you joking. Get out before the lights go out, pray that your check is still good.

Cons

If you think you can make a career at SC , stop take a good hard look at your coworkers. All fairly young just starting out many with no or little training, most likely any training was from a previous employer.Training Forget About It,Professionalism does not exist at SC, even the paycheck is getting smaller as the work load grows.

Advice to Management

Remove your legacy management , no one will ever trust them to do the right thing, they have obligations to the good old boy network that positioned them when the acquisition was getting ready to take place. Stop hiring Nurses and Instrumentation sales personnel that could not make the grade in their chosen field. What makes you think that a person with little or no clinical experience could be an effective Managers or Supervisors. Weak up your employee turn over rate is far too high for a company your size.

Management Mess

Current Employee - Representative in Brentwood, TN
    Current Employee - Representative in Brentwood, TN

I have been working at SpecialtyCare full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I was hired without any recent experience in healthcare. I will always be grateful for the opportunity I was given to get my foot in the door via intake/scheduling. The pay is not bad for this low-level position. I was a student and this was a perfect position for a student as I could study during downtime.

Cons

Huge turnover; I have worked under 3 CEOs, 4 Directors, 4 Managers, and 3 Supervisors (all of whom were fired), and I am the only associate in my department left from when it was formed 3.5 yrs ago. In fact, there are very few associates left that were employed when I came. Privately held company with unhappy investors due to inadequate returns. Absolutely no chance of advancement. Work environment often hostile with no resolution to complaints. Upper management will not answer phone calls or emails. Difficult to maintain a positive attitude. Has proved to me that (1) no good deed goes unpunished, and (2) nice guys finish last. I feel that I have no choice but to move on, and I would have been willing to spend my career there.

Advice to Management

The new CEO has yet to prove himself, but it does appear he is interested by holding breakfast meetings, and attempts at reaching out to staff (I recently got an email from him congratulating me on my years of service, the first time this has ever been recognized). My advice is take a sincere interest in your staff. Take to heart your words...evaluations this year were about personal career goals, but absolutely nothing done by management to work toward them even for those of us that have received higher education and credentials that have proven themselves to be stellar associates, and certainly deserve a chance. Foster a team atmosphere, address the issues when they arise, communicate with staff, make an effort to keep your good associates rather than alienating them. Create and maintain a culture of recognition for accomplishments and outstanding ethics via an occasional pat on the back, work towards eliminating hostility by creating exercises to build team spirit and good relationships, stop the practices of stifling creativity, subtrafuge, and even flat-out lies by management. My advice to the CEO is to hire a consultant to work at the Brentwood office to discover why the turnover is enormous, the profits are not up to par, and many of the staff are very unhappy.

Embarrassment to Perfusion.

Current Employee - Perfusionist in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Perfusionist in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at SpecialtyCare full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The only reason to work for this company as a perfusionist is if you have exhausted all other options and are desperate to have a job - they'll hire you if you have a pulse.

Cons

The CEO seems like an honorable guy - but it doesn't trickle down into the mid levels of management. zero integrity, and zero interest in making the people who make the money happy.

Advice to Management

$25 gift card as a yearly bonus is an insult.