Specific Media
www.specificmedia.com Irvine, CA 500 to 999 Employees

Specific Media Reviews

Updated Jun 27, 2014

Tim Vanderhook

Absolutely great company to work for/with...for the right person

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Pros-The company is definitely moving in the right direction in gaining their own traction in the Mobile and Video ad space, as well as Programmatic offerings.
    -The culture is great and very family oriented and always have employee lunches
    -Very casual work environment (listen to music all day, walk around the open office and speak to anyone anytime, free snack galore, 2 big screen TV's in both kitchens to take a much needed break any time)

ConsWhen you occupy certain positions (ie Camapign Manager) you will not have any time for family or friends. Because the internet is 24/7 and this is an internet advertising network, you HAVE to work ALL the time. Whether it's a weekend, holiday (Christmas Thanksgiving, Easter, etc.) you always need to have your computer with you to manage your campaigns. If you are a younger contributor without a family and are able to get a decent salary negotiated, it's a great place. Just be prepared to work constantly if you go there as a Campaign Manager. All other positions have a great work/life balance.

RUN AWAY!

Irvine, CA

ProsCool building with food perks but not worth the high school drama.

ConsThe management team needs to start being accountable for their department goals. There's absolutely no structure or direction in this company. The owners hire their BFF's and expect to do well rather than hiring the right employees with the right knowledge. There are a ton of legacy employees who need to managed out but haven't because "they've grown up with the business".

For a company this big, I'm surprised there's not better infrastructure and process. It's like working for a company back in the 80's with little technology and systems in place.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet it together! You have the opportunity to achieve some pretty cool results but haven't made it because you refuse to let the experts do their job. Stop getting involved and stand in the sidelines.

Great culture, people, and perks. Your skills will reach a ceiling

ProsI actually like working here. The people are amazing and the company itself has many perks and benefits. Great place to learn about the digital advertising realm.

ConsI feel very underutilized. You learn what you need for the position and that is it. There isn't the chance to learn something new unless you move to a different position. Upper management will not teach you anything new that they do because they obviously dont trust you enough. Also, the seniority card is played way too much.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf someone offers to learn something and take a challenge, let them give it a shot. Dont worry about letting go of the dumb ones... seriously

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

good place to start

Prospeople are cool and office is nice

Conslow pay, no room for growth, and very cliquey

account manager

Prosnice employees that may or may not last after you move onto another position. Young employees because that is the industry. Felt like a start up.

Conshorrible business structure and awful management. Sort of a high school like environment with a lot of cliques. Sink or swim type of experience.

Advice to Senior Managementlearn how to manage.

Dynamic, fast-paced

Director (Current Employee)
    Irvine, CA

ProsThey are not afraid to reinvent the business

ConsNone yet. I'm still fairly new

Advice to Senior ManagementTBD

Love it!

Irvine, CA

ProsThe culture of the organization is really what made me want to work there. It's a work hard, play hard environment where we put in the hours but also celebrate our wins together.

The salary and compensation is decent and the PERKS are awesome -- free lunch, beer, special Christmas event, Halloween costume pageant, etc.

ConsThere are so many initiatives happening all at the same time. It's sometimes hard to keep up with the changes.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep sharing the strategic vision with your people. Continue to invest in people and systems to elevate the talent and drive efficiency.

AMAZING PLACE TO WORK

Irvine, CA

ProsGreat company culture, lots of growth potential and strong leadership!

ConsNot too many downsides to working for this company!

Great company, environment & benefits

ProsThe people. Everyone is so passionate about what they do and they also know how to have a good time. We have awesome company events and it doesn't hurt that the kitchens are fully stocked with food and beverages. The company also covers the employee's premiums, so having insurance coverage doesn't cost you anything!
    Growth potential and leadership.

ConsAlthough growth potential is great, sometimes it's difficult to know where to start, but it seems like there is more communication regarding opportunities and more people are making moves not only within Specific Media, but also between the sister companies Vindico, Myspace and Xumo.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up with employee development and making sure the company vision is being communicated to everyone in the organization.

Amenities: great. People: terrible.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFree fully stocked kitchen with salads, cold case of beverages, coffee machines that grind the beans per order, chest of tea bags, chips, cookies, candy, trail mix, jerky, fruit, bagel Fridays, espresso, catered lunches for meetings, etc. If you ever get a chance to visit the Myspace office, they have their own in-house cafe where food is prepared to-order (something like $15 credit per day to spend on any food/drinks/snacks there). The amenities are pretty sweet.

Benefits were also covered 100%.

ConsWhen asked what you love about your job, most would answer that it's the people. Usually, that's the case for me. Well, this simply wasn't true at Specific media.

I'm positive that this varies greatly by department, but the one I joined was filled with a bunch of employees who exuded the awful attitude of "it's everyone for themselves." The department was unfortunately run by a narcissist, and that person's penchant for office politics and power trips noticeably influenced the behaviors of the department's employees (and definitely not in a good way). Working there felt like I was beating my dignity to death with a shovel. No amount of free food was worth that.

Advice to Senior ManagementClean house. A system wherein seniority is seen as a valid reason for being rewarded is at best outdated and at worst demotivating to existing staff. it's depressing to see a department being mismanaged so horribly to the point that employees (yes, plural) have left because of the abuse of power.

Worked for Specific Media? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Specific Media reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Specific Media CEO Tim Vanderhook. All 24 reviews posted anonymously by Specific Media employees.