Speck Design Reviews

3.5
Elisa Jagerson

1. Small name, big impact

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Speck Design full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Awesome reputation in Silicon Valley. Working with big time clients and super cool projects. Culture of collaboration and authenticity. Still making real products (competitors spend more time making powerpoint decks)

Cons

Operational support feels like an early stage company

Advice to Management

With more investment there are significant growth opportunities here Dial up the HR expertise

2. Weird little company

Former Employee - Senior Mechanical Engineer in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Mechanical Engineer in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at Speck Design full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They seem to attract great clients, and somehow manage to deliver good work. Some projects can be very exciting and rewarding to work on.

Cons

The engineers and designers (ID) were great, but the management sucked. The one ME manager I dealt with was a data-hog who didn't know how to share and was eventually removed like a tumor on the company, sucking the fun of the company. But what can you say about a CEO who actually seeks guidance from a psychic (seriously!). It tends to shake your confidence in how she leads the company.

Advice to Management

Sell the company to someone who actually knows something about the product design business.

Be cautious

I worked at Speck Design

Pros

This is a fairly small group despite the company's long history, which makes it easy to interact with others. Weekly company meeting allows employees to see every aspect of the company (ID, engineering, marketing, market research) which can be very interesting.

Cons

First issue: I was hired full-time but felt extremely undervalued. I truly believe the work assigned to me and the other interns could have been completed by any high schooler with very little industry experience. The consultancy is pressured to be as efficient as possible with its hours, but unfortunately it meant that I was no trusted with any significant and meaningful work. Easy solution: don't hire eight interns who are just given mind-numbing work that could be done by one person. Second issue: When I interviewed with Speck, I met with six engineers, but by the time I started five months later only two of them were left. And one of those engineers left two weeks after I started. During my time, three consultants were hired and subsequently let go/voluntarily left. For some reason, engineers don't seem to want and/or be able to stay at Speck. I think there is a lack of company culture and cohesion that would be expected of such a small-sized team. This is probably due to the constant flow of employees in and out of the company. Talk to the CEO when you interview with Speck. She is an amazing woman and business leader with great vision for the company. She is full of optimism and hope for Speck, which she continually shares at every weekly meeting. That being said, they're just not there yet. Maybe if they spent less time onboarding new employees, they could concentrate their efforts towards their vision.

Advice to Management

Hire the right people. The engineering team seems to lack any sort of leadership and true manager.

5. Industrial Designer

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I have been working at Speck Design as a contractor

Pros

My roles included communicating to clients and manufacturers and coming up with concepts and seeing them through to production. I was given high responsibility despite being a contractor.

Cons

There is a clear contractor/employee discrimination gap, as with many places I have been a contractor for.

6. Pros and Cons

I have been working at Speck Design full-time

Pros

The work is very interesting and you get lots of variety. The people are friendly and talented. It's nice to have everyone from research and strategy through industrial design and engineering under one roof.

Cons

Compensation is not competitive and raises are very rare. They don't have good procedures and mentorship opportunities for entry/mid-level employees. The management team has some good ideas but can send mixed messages and doesn't follow through consistently.

7. It's a fun and collaborative environment!

I have been working at Speck Design

Pros

The people are genuinely nice, do great work and the clients are Fortune 100 and start-ups, too. Something for everyone. Lots of team building and socializing makes people bond. Relaxed and creative atmosphere and amazingly focused on solving the problem, making things work really well. Passionate. Proud of work but not cocky.

Cons

Free food. And lots of it. Am gaining weight weekly. More than twenty words about weight gain due to free food is not easy. But I did it.

Advice to Management

Don't be late for meetings...that goes for everyone. Including anyone reading this. Hugely disrespectful when people are late for meetings.

8. Speck Design Intern

Current Intern - Strategist, Graphic Design Intern in Shanghai, Shanghai (China)

I have been working at Speck Design as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

very systematic and organized operation of projects, great colleagues, manager with a extremely nice personally, also competitive payment for interns

Cons

marketing department is poor that the future is not very optimistic... hope you all good luck!

Advice to Management

need more effective way for sales, even people who do understand this business better

9. Good for most

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Shanghai, Shanghai (China)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Shanghai, Shanghai (China)

I have been working at Speck Design

Pros

Free Good salary comparily Neat management

Cons

Normal Not cool Few western designers

Advice to Management

Nice enough currently

RSS Feed </> Embed