Speck

Updated Apr 14, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Irene Baran

Used to be fun. Is slowing down today.

I worked at Speck full-time for more than a year

ProsI really enjoyed the enthusiasm when I first started. People were willing to help and listen. Small initiatives had a big impact. The recruiting process was awesome and the onboarding was well executed. Speck moves so fast that the onboarding helped me get up to speed on how to be successful in my role.

ConsThe morale is low and people are looking to leave. It's sad. It used to be a fun company and the lack of growth is causing finances to tighten.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet some outside blood on the team. Focus on strategy in the long-term and not what might happen in the next 18 months.

No future, no growth, no nothing

I have been working at Speck full-time for more than a year

ProsCurrent location, snacks/beverages, dog days, a lot of the people, work-life balance

ConsDuring layoffs instead of getting rid of management and higher-ups that made all the bad decisions to get us where we are financially they cut all hard-working people that made this company great.
Ideas are not heard.
The morale has tanked and everyone is looking to leave.
Terrible leadership
No career growth opportunity

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is absolutely zero leadership for certain departments. Some of the managers literally do nothing and rely on their employees to do every little thing for them while they're already completely overworked.
Stop spending excruciating amounts of money on things like sending more than half the company to CES. At the end of the day if the person you're sending won't impact our sales, why are they going?
There's plenty more to say but I will stop there.

lovely working staff. management is the worst I have every worked for!

I worked at Speck full-time for more than 5 years

Prosat this time none. when I started it was a dynamic company with a fun and meaningful purpose.

ConsThe senior management is lost as to basic business practices. The company struggles to pay suppliers and manufactures. The Product develop team is one of the worse teams I have worked with and has very little if no ability to apply basics manufacturing knowledge wrt manufacturing.

Advice to Senior ManagementI left,, i don't care what they do now!

Poor Decision Making

I have been working at Speck full-time for more than a year

ProsTalented and hard working individual contributors who care. Potential to wear many hats and develop new skills. Middle management and lower guys stepping up to right the ship by standing up to executives. Good work-life balance, great location (downtown Mountain View), will pay for CalTrain.

ConsExecutive team makes poor decisions and doesn't know how to lead a team. While announcing downsizing, leaders are spending frivolously at Vegas for CES, sending HR (??!!!?!), adding insult to injury amid layoffs.

Advice to Senior ManagementCEO should clean house on upper management. Listen to your employees.

Sorry decline

I have been working at Speck

ProsLove a lot of the hard-working and smart people I work with. Unfortunately they are not the decision-makers, or if they make decisions, the decisions are undone by people who have their own agendas and not the best interest of the company in mind.

ConsIneffective team. Lack of leadership, poor/non-logical decision-making. It's a real shame; they took a fantastic group of people and ran the company into the ground. They don't care that good people are leaving.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou clearly either don't care or don't have a clue as to what the market wants and what it takes to be competitive. Please leave before you kill the company.

abandon ship

I have been working at Speck full-time

Prosgreat people who work hard.

Conslack of processes, lack of follow through; General disrespect to the lower tiered people. While in the middle of layoffs and generally creating a culture of fear and intimidation in the workplace, the higher ups are all partying it up in vegas for CES. Even people that do not need to be there, like HR. While in the meantime they are cutting costs and jobs in order to save money. Its a huge slap in the face to everyone who got laid off.

Advice to Senior Managementstop treating the lower tiered people like scum. Show them a modicum of respect.

Bad Decisions.

I worked at Speck full-time for more than a year

ProsSome cool people, fun product. A few work hard to make this a great fun place to work, but it's not enough.

ConsIf you want a place where there are clear goals, strong leadership, smart decisions, and career progression, this is not it. CEO is loyal to a fault with an incompetent executive team. Employees are confused when it comes to company goals and even company cultural values. Importance is placed on trivial matters, plans are made and abandoned within hours, hiring happens in all the wrong places, the poor performers rise to the top and the good people get out when they can.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet out now and maybe this company can be salvaged.

One word; disaster

I worked at Speck full-time for more than a year

ProsFun people and culture. Good location and they pay for Caltrain.

ConsCompletely incompetent executive staff. The company is totally mismanaged and getting worse every day. They are in the process of the third round of layoffs. There is absolutely no cohesive leadership trying to right the decline. They continue to spend money on frivolous expenses while they lay people off.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy only advice to management is to resign and allow qualified and capable people to repair the damage and try to save the brand.

Speck is a nice place to work because everyone is nice.

Mechanical Design Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Speck full-time for more than a year

ProsI like working at Speck because of the people. No one argues, everyone is reasonable and hardworking. The location is great, lots of restaurants near by, but housing prices are expensive.

ConsThe time tables are short, so there are many deadlines. You have to wear many hats since the company is small. There always many things to do, which is a good thing and bad thing in my opinion.

Mostly good people, some neat products, some bad leadership.

I worked at Speck

ProsMany of the products are very cool. Many cool people working here. Nice office location in downtown Mt. View. Fun atmosphere.

ConsDiva attitude among its executive management team. Company is lost in its business strategy. Slowdown in sales led to a reduction in number of contributors but no changes to the management team.

Advice to Senior ManagementHow about some developing some new products that customers actually want? How about developing some new sales channels?

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Worked for Speck? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Speck reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Speck CEO Irene Baran. All 15 reviews posted anonymously by Speck employees.