Speck

Updated Mar 21, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Irene Baran

Speck is a nice place to work because everyone is nice.

Mechanical Design Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Speck full-time for more than a year

ProsI like working at Speck because of the people. No one argues, everyone is reasonable and hardworking. The location is great, lots of restaurants near by, but housing prices are expensive.

ConsThe time tables are short, so there are many deadlines. You have to wear many hats since the company is small. There always many things to do, which is a good thing and bad thing in my opinion.

Fun people, fast paced, lots of dumb work for interns, but you'll get stuff on the shelves for sure!

Industrial Design Intern (Former Employee)
Palo Alto, CA

I worked at Speck as an intern for less than a year

ProsYoung growing company, Palo Alto is beautiful, provide free transportation to work (train/bus/subway passes are paid for) lots of opportunity to get things on the shelves

ConsIntern job is alot of colorways and color approving, pattern making, lots and lots of illustrator and emailing factories.

Expensive city

can be lots of monotonous work at times for interns, but it's an interesting fast paced industry to check out.

Advice to Senior ManagementChange the status quo and go back to soft goods! Your bags were some of the most innovative stuff, and you should pursue it again

This is how companies should operate

I have been working at Speck full-time for less than a year

ProsGreat Startup atmosphere, the people working here are talented, committed and all around great people. This company embarces those who other companies would consider "weird", but those are the truly creative and driven people who make this company as great as it is.

ConsWhile the company has a startup mentaility culture, it also has a startup mentality process wise and sometimes things are not clearly defined for new hires. It takes a while to get used to it. Plus parking is a hassle.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing, focusing on growth without forgetting the employees that make your company so great.

An Enjoyable Experience.

Palo Alto, CA

I worked at Speck

ProsGreat upper management in almost all departments. You get to work with truly talented people. The products are well designed.

ConsThe company grew quickly so naturally there were some growing pains

Very good company where I'm learning a lot and working with lots of good people.

I have been working at Speck

ProsWorking with some very smart and talented people, and get all the free iPhone products you could ever want.

ConsEverything moves at an extremely fast pace that can be exhausting at times.

Advice to Senior ManagementExecutive management needs to listen to each other and work together to lead the company to the next level. It is currently lower ranks that drive the company and get the work done.

Used to be fun. Is slowing down today.

I worked at Speck full-time for more than a year

ProsI really enjoyed the enthusiasm when I first started. People were willing to help and listen. Small initiatives had a big impact. The recruiting process was awesome and the onboarding was well executed. Speck moves so fast that the onboarding helped me get up to speed on how to be successful in my role.

ConsThe morale is low and people are looking to leave. It's sad. It used to be a fun company and the lack of growth is causing finances to tighten.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet some outside blood on the team. Focus on strategy in the long-term and not what might happen in the next 18 months.

Mostly good people, some neat products, some bad leadership.

I worked at Speck

ProsMany of the products are very cool. Many cool people working here. Nice office location in downtown Mt. View. Fun atmosphere.

ConsDiva attitude among its executive management team. Company is lost in its business strategy. Slowdown in sales led to a reduction in number of contributors but no changes to the management team.

Advice to Senior ManagementHow about some developing some new products that customers actually want? How about developing some new sales channels?

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

It's all ok - not speck-tacular.

I worked at Speck full-time for more than a year

ProsFlexible hours and free product!

ConsLack of communication overall within the organization. Lack of constructive criticism or praise for work.

Poor Decision Making

I have been working at Speck full-time for more than a year

ProsTalented and hard working individual contributors who care. Potential to wear many hats and develop new skills. Middle management and lower guys stepping up to right the ship by standing up to executives. Good work-life balance, great location (downtown Mountain View), will pay for CalTrain.

ConsExecutive team makes poor decisions and doesn't know how to lead a team. While announcing downsizing, leaders are spending frivolously at Vegas for CES, sending HR (??!!!?!), adding insult to injury amid layoffs.

Advice to Senior ManagementCEO should clean house on upper management. Listen to your employees.

abandon ship

I have been working at Speck full-time

Prosgreat people who work hard.

Conslack of processes, lack of follow through; General disrespect to the lower tiered people. While in the middle of layoffs and generally creating a culture of fear and intimidation in the workplace, the higher ups are all partying it up in vegas for CES. Even people that do not need to be there, like HR. While in the meantime they are cutting costs and jobs in order to save money. Its a huge slap in the face to everyone who got laid off.

Advice to Senior Managementstop treating the lower tiered people like scum. Show them a modicum of respect.

Worked for Speck? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Speck reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Speck CEO Irene Baran. All 14 reviews posted anonymously by Speck employees.