Speck Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.4
Irene Baran

1. Great brand, product and group.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Speck full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

This is a great brand, with truly excellent products and a good group of people who largely care about one another. The CEO is exceptional and it was a great pleasure working for her.

Cons

Management was uneven, timelines for form-fit accessories can be very demanding, cases are a crowded market to compete in.

Advice to Management

Senior management should address dysfunction that is brought up to them. Several fairly major management problems were left unaddressed for too long.

2. Great company company to work for!

I have been working at Speck full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Management does a great job of keeping things fun and engaging. The ever-changing landscape of mobile devices means we never stop working on the next big project. Despite the busy environment, the company firmly believes in a healthy work/life balance

Cons

Sometimes things can lack a bit of structure, which results in some people working significantly harder than others. Limited upward mobility.

Advice to Management

Sometimes I feel they need more specific goal setting and performance measurement.

3. Was a great company

I worked at Speck full-time

Pros

Hire a lot of great workers!

Cons

All the best workers leave!

Advice to Management

Give your employees a chance to talk. If you listen, you might get some great solutions to some challenging problems.

5. Great People....thats about it.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Speck full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-great creative people -office location -compensation is ok.

Cons

-leadership and VP's have no idea what they are doing -product team doesn't really seem to have a good grasp of what consumers actually want

Advice to Management

Hire young people that know the market. Not old snobs that previously worked at dead tech companies.

Dead end job

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Speck full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The employees are fun and great to work with. You can get free cases which is nice.

Cons

Very bad management. No way to ever move up and grow. Lots of layoffs and no raises. No praise for doing an exceptional job but very quick to yell when something isn't done to their unrealistic standards.

Advice to Management

At least give a cost of living increase each year. Help to coach and grow employees. Create a forum for employees to talk about their ideas and actually listen.

7. Fun atmosphere, great people

I have been working at Speck full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- free snacks - great bonuses - fun, hard-working people - bagel friday! - management is very approachable - work/life balance strongly encouraged

Cons

- strategy doesn't trickle down past senior leadership - promotions are given to those who yell the loudest, not necessarily most deserving

Advice to Management

Samsonite cut a lot of good employees. Most people love working at Speck, though don't lose the great talent left by ignoring that everyone is doing extra work without extra compensation or support.

sinking ship

I have been working at Speck full-time (More than a year)

Pros

not including almost every single manager from middle to executive there are some very bright, talented team members. less and less everyday as they move to companies that value intelligence and offer growth

Cons

there are no words to adequately describe how incredibly terrible the management is. 98% off the leaders in the company are clueless fossils who with their every move almost seem to be purposely driving the company into ruin. the morale is so low that most of the team has resorted to sarcasm to cover up the pain that their once beloved company is being torn apart by unqualified leaders.

Advice to Management

Leave, please. There are a few, a small few, who still inspire and support their employees but the vast majority, if they cared at all about the company, its future and not just pulling a paycheck to the bitter end should leave.

This could have been a great place to work but........

I worked at Speck (More than 3 years)

Pros

I worked with some great people that I would like to work with again. Casual and flexible work environment, I even got a few free phone cases.

Cons

One poor decision after another by an executive management team that is out of touch. There is too much nepotism and favoritism in the company. Morale is really low with everyone worrying if they will be next on the chopping block.

Advice to Management

Honesty goes a long way.

No future, no growth, no nothing

I have been working at Speck full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Current location, snacks/beverages, dog days, a lot of the people, work-life balance

Cons

During layoffs instead of getting rid of management and higher-ups that made all the bad decisions to get us where we are financially they cut all hard-working people that made this company great. Ideas are not heard. The morale has tanked and everyone is looking to leave. Terrible leadership No career growth opportunity

Advice to Management

There is absolutely zero leadership for certain departments. Some of the managers literally do nothing and rely on their employees to do every little thing for them while they're already completely overworked. Stop spending excruciating amounts of money on things like sending more than half the company to CES. At the end of the day if the person you're sending won't impact our sales, why are they going? There's plenty more to say but I will stop there.

lovely working staff. management is the worst I have every worked for!

I worked at Speck full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

at this time none. when I started it was a dynamic company with a fun and meaningful purpose.

Cons

The senior management is lost as to basic business practices. The company struggles to pay suppliers and manufactures. The Product develop team is one of the worse teams I have worked with and has very little if no ability to apply basics manufacturing knowledge wrt manufacturing.

Advice to Management

I left,, i don't care what they do now!

RSS Feed </> Embed