Specsavers

Updated Apr 13, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Doug Perkins

Interesting, rewarding and challenging job. Terrible wages.

Optical Assistant (Current Employee)
Liverpool, England (UK)

I have been working at Specsavers full-time for more than a year

ProsAs an Optical Assistant, the role is an interesting mix of sales, healthcare and technical work, with plenty of training and development avaliable.

Store teams are generally great, close knit teams that get along well together.

ConsProgression opportunities are limited, and wages are stagnant at or around minimum wage. No matter how much you learn or extra responsibility you take on there is little scope for promotion or pay increments. This can cause a regular exodus of staff, leaving those that do stay on taking on more responsibility for no reward (rinse, repeat).

Advice to Senior ManagementYour shabby wages are meaning that your excellent development program is paying the training budget of your competitors.

Poor pay. Didn't feel appreciated.

Optical Assistant (Former Employee)
Ipswich, England (UK)

I worked at Specsavers part-time for more than 10 years

ProsStaff discount. Always busy. Good colleagues.

ConsOverworked, underpaid, not appreciated by directors.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou pay peanuts, you loose experienced staff and employ low paid inexperienced staff.

IT Service Desk Analyst (Retail support)

IT Service Desk Analyst (Former Employee)
Whiteley, England (UK)

I worked at Specsavers as a contractor for more than a year

ProsWell intentioned brand, maintaining an air of the family business specsavers was when it opened. Very good IT planning procedure in place. Follow ITIL to the letter.

ConsChauvanistic and male dominated management who keep their friends in work and keep the hard workers guessing if they will have a job tomorrow. Teamed with the torrents of abuse from store staff and store directors for things out of your control (Like changes implemented further up the line and a wholesale team who couldn't get SKUs on the system before they were dispatched to shops).

Whenever good or great work was recognised and stores reported it, Management flipped it on us saying that we were on the phone for too long and should have fixed it within 4 mins.

Advice to Senior ManagementDiversify your team leader/service desk management. End selective employee monitoring statistics so the managers keep their friends in work and train your managers to be more supportive and empowering to disabled employees instead of abusing them.

Great People but IT struggling with organisation

I have been working at Specsavers full-time

ProsGreat people, very motivated. Opportunities to self develop

ConsCurrently struggling with a reorganisation within IT and a lot of politics as a result

Advice to Senior ManagementSort out the politics and focus on basics like quality engagement and communication

Inspiration, exciting, a definitive experience that taught me so such.

Marketing Analyst (Former Employee)
St Peter Port (Guernsey)

I worked at Specsavers full-time for more than 5 years

ProsYou work for a Head Office that is not too big that you are just a number. The atmosphere is that of a family and you make friends and work hard but it is rewarding.

ConsThe head Office is based on an Island famous for the number of Banks and so the salaries are not that competitive. that's the only Thing.

Lot's of effort/ learning= Unchanging terrible wage.

Dispenser and More (Former Employee)
Blackburn, England (UK)

I worked at Specsavers full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat collegues, lot's of banter.
Managers and Directors seem to be actually nice people. They give us cards for birthdays, sweets etc... But then, you wonder if they do that just to keep the staff happy and to stop them complaining.
It is challenging compared to other retail jobs. Your day can be varied.

ConsYou earn the least for doing the same job out of all the Specsavers in the surrounding area. No reward even though there is a lot of training/ knowledge required. Minimum wage with no chance of raise, even if you're a really hard worker and have worked there for years. Rubbish bonus. Consequently, you feel demotivated and insignificant. I have since left and joined another Opticians which pays me almost TWICE the amount I was on.
What is also annoying is that you work SO hard there, it's always busy and understaffed and yet there are people at the company who you know earn probably triple what you're on, and all they do is a unneeded 'H.R' job. (eg. Shuffling papers, pretending to look busy, talking bs)
It causes a lot of resentment.
I'm sorry to have left, I liked the job and the people. But I couldn't stay any longer without feeling like a complete mug to accept such a terrible wage for doing so much.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you pay peanuts, you get monkeys.
Lot's of people, especially those who have worked there for a while, are leaving because they have realized that no matter how loyal you are and how hard you work, you will not recieve ANY sort of pay rise. It is very demotivating and means that talented people have left/will leave.
It is a real shame that a skilled job at a profitable company like Specsavers does not pay a fair wage. Many of the employees have to receive Tax Credits in order to support their families. It's not right.

Hard work but you get a lot of support and financial security.

Optometrist Partner (Current Employee)
Auckland (New Zealand)

I have been working at Specsavers full-time for more than a year

ProsLots of business and management training. Great support from the company. The company is always looking to improve value to customers and to ensure that their franchisees are doing well too.

ConsLike any business it takes a lot of your time and energy.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to be supportive.

Work Experience at Specsavers

Optical Assistant (Former Employee)
Sydney (Australia)

I worked at Specsavers as an intern for more than a year

Pros- systems and equipment in place are advanced and user-friendly
- competitive pricing strategy (helps when you need to give customers a convincing sales pitch ;) )
- when I started, my boss let me practice how to sell a pair of frames to myself; great experience since I learnt everything from what to look for when helping customers choose frames to dispensing and finally to ordering (I got to keep both my glasses! woohoo free pair of glasses)

Cons- health insurance schemes can be a little tricky initially (i.e knowing which codes to enter into the til)
- no official training program in place; learn on the job (not that bad since you pick everything up in the first week)

java developer

I have been working at Specsavers

Prosgood place to work and enjoyed working with specsavers

ConsAt times work load is challenging

Awesome retail experience

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee)
Auckland (New Zealand)

I worked at Specsavers part-time for more than 3 years

ProsExperience in Retail leading to career

ConsRepetitive as you see alot of patients

Worked for Specsavers? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Specsavers reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Specsavers CEO Doug Perkins. All 18 reviews posted anonymously by Specsavers employees.