Specsavers

Updated February 1, 2015
Updated February 1, 2015
2.7

Doug Perkins

Diverse, enjoyable, rewarding work, could provide more thorough training.

Former Employee - Optical Assistant
    Former Employee - Optical Assistant

I worked at Specsavers

Pros

Interesting work, good benefits, management tries to be accommodating as much as possible, opportunities for career development.

Cons

Could provide more thorough training, minimum wage.

Very disappointed

Current Employee - Receptionist in Loughborough, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Receptionist in Loughborough, England (UK)

I have been working at Specsavers part-time

Pros

I started a part time contract, which I was excited about after being a customer for several years. The majority of staff there were lovely. It was great to work on reception and get to learn new tricks of the trade and serve customers. The staff were from different cultures and it made for a wonderful mix of people to work with. At around 3 weeks one of the directors said I was very good.

Cons

When I joined I was told about a training course in Nottingham which never happened in my two months there. I was made to wear a badge with the wrong name and occupation on. Strangely enough I was given no contract. I had to pick up lots of information very quickly. When I started to worry about not learning quick enough I was told not to worry as I had only been there a few weeks. I didn't realise I would be told to leave the following week.
    A manager called me up to the office and said I was functioning at 25% and it would be best if I left as it would be cruel to keep me any longer. The manager offered to pay me one days extra pay. A councillor told me about ACAS. They said that because I had been there one month I had to receive one weeks pay plus any holiday pay. So had I not have found out about this I would have been nearly £200 short.
    The experience led to me having depression for several weeks afterwards. I met some staff 3 months later and my role had not been replaced.

Give a contract to each new employee. Do not give a wrong name badge as it is very humiliating. If an employee is starting to suffer stress find out what the cause is. It may even help to have their hours reduced. Do not make an employee feel uneasy. When you get rid of someone know about their legal rights otherwise it may cause a little more than embarrassment. It is best to invest in proper training.

Excellent opportunity to make a difference

Current Employee - Commercial Manager in Whiteley, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Commercial Manager in Whiteley, England (UK)

I have been working at Specsavers full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Fantastic brand, makes my job easier

Cons

No systems, although just starting implementation of Oracle ERP

Develop and share a structured road map for the key areas of the business, so there are are clear business objectives and road maps that we can all follow

Very busy all the time

Current Employee - Optical Assistant in Lewisham, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Optical Assistant in Lewisham, England (UK)

I have been working at Specsavers full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Meeting new people, the people I work with,

Cons

Short staffed, not appreciated, bad management, salary poor had to take second job. No sick pay. Certain staff get better treated than others.

optical assistant for specsavers

Former Employee - Optical Assistant in Denham, Suffolk, East of England, England (UK)

I worked at Specsavers full-time (more than a year)

Pros

fast moving, lots to do, optics a generally interesting field, lots of training available, if you want to become, and if they encourage this for you, a dispensing optician

Cons

dreadful pay, minimum wage, you get the impression they'd go below that if only they could, optometrists paid so much more than you are, the pretense that this is somehow a family firm, when in fact it's very corporate indeed, a multinational, the sense that the optometrists, being monitored on their after-sight-test sales are pressured into recommending anti-reflective coatings/ultraclear, for example, or, say, a new set of glasses entirely, when they're not clinically necessary but make the store money (just feels so unethical, are the customers even aware of this? Blatantly exploiting patients' faith in their optometrist to drive sales volumes....)....everyone's systematically measured/monitored there, the optoms, the dispensing staff....and this stuff matters...optometrists concerned about their conversion rate and so on....the way that you get on through politics as much as through hard work.....some directors lovely....some frankly are too immature for the responsibility and lack basic people skills......at times, even, a kind of bullying environment when you have a poor director.....a sense that certain people are 'in' because they spill the beans about others to management......generally I would not recommend this place at all.....really bad pay, I know many people who are well respected by their peers and work hard and have been there for years, and still they only get minimum wage....and yet you work so hard here.....it seems that the volumes and speed of work are much greater than at other opticians, even than at other chain opticians......really, it's not about quality at specsavers, it's all about speed, getting things done as quickly as possible.....having worked there I wouldn't be happy about using them as my opticians, never mind as an employer. My advice is to use the training opportunities they offer you....and get out as soon as possible.

Ok at H/0..or "support office". But they have no idea what's really happening in stores in terms of management or what their ground support staff does. (Regional managers)

Current Employee - Trainee Optical Advisor in Sydney (Australia)
    Current Employee - Trainee Optical Advisor in Sydney (Australia)

I have been working at Specsavers full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Free glasses depending on store directors
    Good training

Cons

Pay
    Hours
    All just constant pressure for targets and Bonus targets to supposedly "see to customer needs"..But in actual fact -Sales is all they want but sugar coating a lot of it to sound in the interest of the customer. Excellent in brainwashing the constant vision mission and values.
    It's not about the employees, only store owners.

H/O expect managers and owners/directors to work in great lengths and times especially in the first year..expect to work a lot and if you dare be tired and question it or ask leave they demand more and make you feel guilty for not being there in the store...all about profitability when opening a new store.
    Your regional managers need more training and soft skills and learn to be more discreet and professional when talking about other stores and issues. Need to learn better time management skills and be leaders not dictators.

Good pay and Supportive team

Current Employee - Optical Assistant in Cranbourne (Australia)
    Current Employee - Optical Assistant in Cranbourne (Australia)

I have been working at Specsavers full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The management is style seems a lot better in Australia. There were a lot of incentives and bonuses, healthy competition between employees. Training and support given as needed. A lot of encouragement in terms of self development and working in a team. The managers listened and made you feel valued. No naming and shaming!

Cons

There was some pressure to meet sales targets, but they would address you individually about their concerns.

Good, but they do not care about employees, except optimetrists.

I have been working at Specsavers full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The staff is very friendly and we help each other. The Company provides any type of training. Good contact with customers.

Cons

They do not pay enough and holidays are few. No time for proper training. They do not care if staff is happy and motivated.

Promotions on the badge, but not on the wage. Bonus if we reach targets.

A good company and team

Current Employee - Manager in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Manager in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Specsavers full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

the directors and the busy nature of the practise

Cons

great potential staff are not recognized by the head office in giving greater responsibilities.

I like working for the company

clerk

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norwich, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norwich, England (UK)

I worked at Specsavers full-time (more than a year)

Pros

fun place to work, owners were nice too

Cons

wasn't there long, moved away, starting wage could be more