Spectra Energy

Spectra Energy Reviews

Updated Jul 13, 2014

Spectra Energy Chairman, President and Chief Executive Officer Greg Ebel

Greg Ebel

Committed to a work/life balance environment.

Supply Chain Analyst (Current Employee) Houston, TX

Proswork-life balance, office culture, great benefits, work schedule

ConsSupply Chain structure is somewhat confusing

Advice to Senior Managementnone

Excellent and comfortable environment, well suited for folks that value job security over carrier growth.

ProsVery nice people, excellent working conditions, great flexibility, job security, true to the "employer of choice" values.

ConsExtremely controlled communication environment which stifle creativity. Very narrow job assignments that do not allow for growth. Reaching outside the job scope is more or less "punished" instead of discussed.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere's a great book called "leadership and self deception". Most of the folks are "in the box" and need coaching/help.

Accounting Analyst

Analyst (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsGreat People, great benefits, great opportunities to serve the community.

ConsWrong people in management positions.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company that is going places

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsVision-driven company that actually believes in a balance between work and personal life balance. Smart executive management that is consistently executing a successful growth company. Solid benefits and vacation package.

ConsMany within the company are unwilling to change old ways to embrace a new company environment. Pay may not be good enough to keep the best performers. Engineering bias makes other disciplines feel like secondary employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat all professional disciplines equally. A engineer fresh out of college gets a better office than a well-experienced and educated professional. Otherwise, keep up the great work!

Great company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat company culture and they are competitive with pay and opportunities.

ConsIt is better if you are not a contractor. Then its much like family.

Quit asking for employee opinions; do something positive.

Project Manager (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsFlexible work schedule and alternative work week

ConsHyper political to the point that middle managers (director) sabotage each other.

Promotion opportunities are nonexistent

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of the directors you have, especially in IT. Get rid of poor performers and stop putting contractors in key roles and keep wondering why there is no growth in leadership. Contractors are only interested in job security. So you pay some contractors high rates, they build little kingdoms unto themselves and you wonder why there is so much disfunction. Wake up!

Great place to work

Proswork life balance is great

ConsI don't really have any cons to list

Advice to Senior Managementn/a

OK For A Big Company

Senior Lead Project Engineer (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsSpectra is an established big company with big company benefits. A leader in natural gas storage and a major player in natural gas transportation.

ConsSpectra is a big company. Some of the internal groups tend to try to act like a small company when in fact the big company layers of bureaucracy and politics exist and are in full effect.

Job security

Senior Operator (Current Employee)

ProsGreat safety culture .... ok ok

ConsLooking for safety perfection.....ok ok

Safe for women and children - not so good for your career

Project Manager (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsStable
    Stress Free
    Pleasant office environment
    Little travel

ConsDead end
    Below Industry Average Pay
    Not a "Real" oil and gas company

Advice to Senior ManagementSo much of what your perception of Spectra Energy will be - will depend on your Job function and what you are looking for in your career overall. If you want safe, stable and stress free - this is your place. If you are looking for big money and gaining skills that the market will highly value - look elsewhere.

Spectra Energy is a company that is way too overstaffed, has below industry average pay and fairly dead end as far as skills you would gain that would be transferable even to other oil and gas operating companies. It offers a sheltered, safe and stable work environment that would appeal to women and older workers but probably not to those looking for the oil and gas payoff you would find in other companies in terms of skills, experience or money in the industry.

If you are serious about a career in the oil and gas industry, Spectra will get in you the door. But it will also waste your time if you allow it.

Worked for Spectra Energy? Contribute to the Community!