Spectra Energy

Greg Ebel

This place SUCKS!

Administrative (Former Employee)
    Vancouver, BC (Canada)

ProsSix weeks holidays, good benefits

ConsThe 'manager' in my department was the worst micromanager known to man. No one wanted to work for this person thus a high turnover rate. There was all sorts of psychological abuse and bullying going on. I was not provided with sufficient training and struggled. How does one learn with a five minute overview on something complicated? There are way too many computer programs to deal with. The process to carry out work, even simple things, is a convoluted endeavour riddled by the run around from the many different departments. The company wastes way too much money on things, ie, having meetings at very expensive hotels and having them catered when it's really not necessary. Give that money to the United Way. Also, flying down to Texas was a waste since this program we were to learn was not even functional yet so we did 'testing' instead which begs the question "Who is running the show". There are positions there that a) there really is no need for; b) you wonder what that person does with the ridiculous title, ie, manager of diversity - what is that and is it really needed? If you have no personality, like an extremely conservative environment, enjoy getting the run around, this is the place for you. I could go on and on....

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't let 'managers' report to someone that works in a different country because it's harder to know if they are 'managing' people correctly. When someone complains constantly about an individual and it is known that they are a problem, get rid of them. They are costing the company money in terms of turnover and/or payouts.

Look somewhere else you can find better

Administrative (Current Employee)

ProsSome people are pleasant to work with

ConsEntire company is made up of all contractors. Rarely do you meet someone who is a permanent employee. When traveling you are expected to pay for all expenses and wait 2-3 weeks for reimbursement from your staffing agency. Job will always be contract so hardly no one goes permanent. Insufficient training and the moment you speak your concerns or have ideas there immediately shot down or in my case invite you to corporate to teach them how to do your job responsibilities and then be laid off 2 weeks later.no real direction, aging workforce, not organized at all. The will assure you they don't do politics but trust me it's there. If u like traveling and feeling like your job is never complete then this place is for you. Salary is way below industry pay because they factor in traveling costs as apart of your salary. Traveling that they enforce.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen you come to someone and ask ways to make things more efficient then to turn down there ideas because you do a group vote who are made up of people not comfortable with changes then look for better ways to manage. Industry is always changing holding back talent because some people are uncomfortable or have egos shouldn't be giving there opinion. Also nothing more cowardly when u schedule a meeting to talk about concerns then cancel it and then keep rescheduling only to drag it out because u know they are being laid off and then say yeah we'll talk about it when I get back the very same day you are laying them off and slipping out the back door with your tail between your legs is cowardly. Yea....sure you don't play politics. Cough cough

Contractor application developer

Software Engineer (Former Employee)
    Houston, TX

ProsNothing really. Outdated management, old facilities

ConsPoor knowledge, bad irrelevant and outdated questions

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit so the company can move on

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Quit asking for employee opinions; do something positive.

Project Manager (Current Employee)
    Houston, TX

ProsFlexible work schedule and alternative work week

ConsHyper political to the point that middle managers (director) sabotage each other.

Promotion opportunities are nonexistent

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of the directors you have, especially in IT. Get rid of poor performers and stop putting contractors in key roles and keep wondering why there is no growth in leadership. Contractors are only interested in job security. So you pay some contractors high rates, they build little kingdoms unto themselves and you wonder why there is so much disfunction. Wake up!

Safe for women and children - not so good for your career

Project Manager (Former Employee)

ProsStable
    Stress Free
    Pleasant office environment
    Little travel

ConsDead end
    Below Industry Average Pay
    Not a "Real" oil and gas company

Advice to Senior ManagementSo much of what your perception of Spectra Energy will be - will depend on your Job function and what you are looking for in your career overall. If you want safe, stable and stress free - this is your place. If you are looking for big money and gaining skills that the market will highly value - look elsewhere.

Spectra Energy is a company that is way too overstaffed, has below industry average pay and fairly dead end as far as skills you would gain that would be transferable even to other oil and gas operating companies. It offers a sheltered, safe and stable work environment that would appeal to women and older workers but probably not to those looking for the oil and gas payoff you would find in other companies in terms of skills, experience or money in the industry.

If you are serious about a career in the oil and gas industry, Spectra will get in you the door. But it will also waste your time if you allow it.

Senior Accountant Spectra Energy and Transmission

ProsGood pay, Benifits, and vacation time

Consthe Finance department is poorly run

Very disappointed.....

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Houston, TX

Pros-Overall good benefit package
    -Stable working environment
    -Good work-life balance
    -Nice Location and facility

Cons-Too much politics
    -No room to speak up
    -No rotation opportunities if you are NOT satisfied your manager
    -Incompetent management team
    -Unfair treatment in every group
    -Management team not transparent for most of the decision making process
    -Team members are not competent, no working ethics, no integrities.

Advice to Senior Management-Treat people fairly
    -Give key personnel more recognition
    -Hire competent people all through the company, especially at high profile positions
    -Get raid of lazy folks

Accounting Analyst

Analyst (Former Employee)
    Houston, TX

ProsGreat People, great benefits, great opportunities to serve the community.

ConsWrong people in management positions.

OK For A Big Company

Senior Lead Project Engineer (Former Employee)
    Houston, TX

ProsSpectra is an established big company with big company benefits. A leader in natural gas storage and a major player in natural gas transportation.

ConsSpectra is a big company. Some of the internal groups tend to try to act like a small company when in fact the big company layers of bureaucracy and politics exist and are in full effect.

Long Time Pipeliner

Applications Spec II (Current Employee)
    Houston, TX

ProsWe work here to live and the company supports that concept
    Great place to get experience

ConsEval processis "rigged". Meaning the 1 to 5 scale is really a 1 to 4. So basically here at Spectra you will always be an average employee.
    Office politics - really bad here.
    Salary is on the low side

Advice to Senior ManagementEvaluations shuld be honest.
    Senior Management seems to know where they are taking the company
    Unable to advance - my fear is that I will me stuck in this postion until I get a better offer

Worked for Spectra Energy? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Spectra Energy reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Spectra Energy CEO Greg Ebel. All 32 reviews posted anonymously by Spectra Energy employees.