Spectranetics Reviews

Spectranetics CEO Scott Drake
Scott Drake

Dysfunctional Place to Work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at Spectranetics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I can't think of any . . . truly the worst experience of my career so far.

Cons

Lead Management is a niche market with limited growth opportunities. Bully mentality with some in leadership. Back-stabbing and fickle culture led by a management team that "talks the talk" but inconsistently "walks the walk". Leaves employees frustrated, confused, and feeling unappreciated for the long hours of work and dedication we've put into our jobs to drive success for the company.

2. Senior management that only cares about money not employees

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Spectranetics (More than a year)

Pros

management is transparent and CEO meets with everyone monthly to provide business updates

Cons

Management is very frugal A very boring place to work even though some of the people are nice

3. If your favorite holiday is Halloween... you will be in heaven at this company in COS! (Note: Mentioned at interview)

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Colorado Springs, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at Spectranetics full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

All product is manufactured in the good ole' USA (as of today) annnnd the view is spectacular (or spooktacular) at the Colorado Springs facility.

Cons

Management is top-heavy, many brown-nosers, immature regulatory managers, inefficient change management system, unrealistic expectations with ALL projects being high priorities, approvel denied for continuing job-related education, & a high turn-over rate. The company calls its employees 'teammates' in the 'Spectranetics' family'. If this family fluff were to be true, would a parent disown his/her own child if s/he received a poor grade on one of his/her report cards? No, a decent parent would not... but the "Spectranetics' family" would for surely disown (aka dismiss) the relatively new "teammate" in the "Spectranetics' family" for non-conformance to being a brown-noser.

Advice to Management

Good luck (if you believe in luck)... the damage is done.

5. Disappointed

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Colorado Springs, CO
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Colorado Springs, CO

Pros

Located in Colorado Springs, CO

Cons

FDA and DOJ troubles Executives over compensated for a company which has not shown a profit for several years Product recalls are a quarterly event Laser technoloy is a small niche market segment, most likely has reached it's growth limit

Advice to Management

Think of ways to get employees more engaged and empowered.

SPECTRANETICS IS A MICKEY MOUSE COMPANY

I have been working at Spectranetics full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Location People are generally nice to work with

Cons

Company wants to be GE but is now made up mostly of former Covidean employees. Company has a practice of firing employees very quickly Sr Management want everyone to be "A" players but won't take a look at the composition of their team - plenty of "c" players there.

Advice to Management

Be more condescending of employees. Adopting GE's practices of getting rid of the "bottom 10%" is just not what is required in our current growth mode. It is silly. World class companies treat their employees with respect and dignity. This practice of firing employees at a drop of a hat is counter-productive and

Circus atmosphere, it's not what you have done for me lately, but do we like you!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at Spectranetics full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great people & great opportunities

Cons

Sr Leadership has their heads in the sand, every 6 months there is a shake-up, good people are let go and more people are brought in because the Board wants them there!

Advice to Management

Stop pretending to listen to your people!

8. Teammate

Pros

Generally a good future if the drug coated balloon ever gets to market. 75% of the leadership know what they are doing and the rest are bringing the company down.

Cons

R&D has poor senior leadership so we better hope we can buy technology because we can't lead the development of it. Lots of yes men/women in the organization. CEO has set a mandate to have 50% women in leadership roles in this high tech company whether they want it or not. All employees in the latest RIF where men.

Advice to Management

Don't tell the employees the company is strong then tell the public on an earnings call that we won't make our numbers resulting in a 35% stock drop and releasing of some great employees. Good to know the Board can buy stock on the cheap while others are unemployed and looking for jobs.

Some suggestions and comments

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Colorado Springs, CO

Pros

Fairly relax atmosphere Decent medical benefits The company definitely helps improve the quality of life of the people who use the excimer lasers. Many people today would not have a leg(s) (having them amputated) because of severe peripheral artery diseases or worse.

Cons

Management doesn't really understand how to motivate employees. Too many chiefs, not enough indians. The dental benefits could definitely be improved, same coverage as the 1980s The product works extremely well, it just has not been marketed appropriately or effectively to those who have used it. Many top level managers are just too inflexible. The primary reason for doing nearly anything is “that’s just the way it’s always been done.” I have heard many people within the company complain that we are just missing too many opportunities because of corporate arrogance. It almost seems the upper management is confusing rigidity for values. There is also an expected resistance when offering new ideas to the company.

Advice to Management

Seek out talent from within the company - Don't be so quick to hire outside people when you have plenty of talent right here

10. Pleasant

Current Employee - IT Support in Colorado Springs, CO
    Current Employee - IT Support in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at Spectranetics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great potential in this industry

Cons

Company is very unorganized, resources in the wrong places

Advice to Management

Get organized don't be afraid to use the talent you have, trust the people under you, if you can't trust the people that you hired to do the job that speaks volumes about you as a manager

11. Good place to start a medical sales career

Current Employee - Sales and Marketing
    Current Employee - Sales and Marketing

I have been working at Spectranetics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They pay employees well, the product line is unique which is beneficial to patients and hospitals, there is some opportunity for career growth for midlevel employees, offers a unique opportunity for those working in medical device to be in Colorado

Cons

Management team seems misguided in their efforts (self-focused), there is high turnover among employees which is a cause for concern for those looking for a long-term opportunity

RSS Feed </> Embed