Spectrum Athletic Clubs

Updated November 15, 2014
Updated November 15, 2014
2.6

Bud Rockhill

good company! good people! Work hard, workout and have fun!

Current Employee - Corporate in El Segundo, CA
    Current Employee - Corporate in El Segundo, CA

I have been working at Spectrum Athletic Clubs full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good people work here! Get free membership to the gym and get to workout in a nice facility!

Cons

Company is not really growing! A bit stagnate!
    Clubs are a bit dated.
    Plans are in place for major upgrades and enhancements! It will take time but it'll be tough getting there.

No Education or Long term investment made in Personal Trainers continued education

Current Employee - Personal Trainer in El Segundo, CA
    Current Employee - Personal Trainer in El Segundo, CA

I have been working at Spectrum Athletic Clubs part-time (more than an year)

Pros

If you like being Independent and responsible for your own business and feeling very entrepreneurial, it is a good place to start out. Very laid back easy going environment

Cons

No continued education provided and invested in talented personal trainers who really care about continued education. Sales are valued and rewarded more than your education or actually helping members reach their fitness goals.

Think out of the box, never accept the status quo, invest in new approaches to fitness and education. Reward or recognize trainers who are knowledgeable and who are proactive with improving and continuing their education, the members will receive the benefit from an educated trainer and maintain and bring in new business. Don't let sales be your focus and measure of a good or valued trainer.

Sales

Former Employee - General Manaegr in Valencia, CA
    Former Employee - General Manaegr in Valencia, CA

I worked at Spectrum Athletic Clubs full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Not too many pros to think of. I guess i could say getting a free membership was cool since the gym was always clean.

Cons

Compensation plan changes constantly for the worst. Upper Management doesn't have a clue.

They need to hire old school gym pro's in order to really grow their brand.

They do not put their employees first

Current Employee - Kids Club Attendant in Rolling Hills Estates, CA
    Current Employee - Kids Club Attendant in Rolling Hills Estates, CA

I have been working at Spectrum Athletic Clubs part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Freedom, flexible hours, friendly staff.

Cons

No room for growth, horrible pay, no raises, only 3.4 hours a day.

As a requirement to work in the kids club you must get finger printed and have cpr training. They do not pay for your fingerprints, you have to pay 80 dollars out of your pocket. If you want your employees to get fingerprinted, then you need to provide it. We should not have to go out of our way to do it and also have to pay so much for it. Your company makes billions, you can help out your employees. Also, you need raises... no one is going to commit to working for you or stay long with no incentive.

Great Classes with Dedicated Friendly Members

Current Employee - Pilates, Yoga Nia Teacher in Rolling Hills Estates, CA
    Current Employee - Pilates, Yoga Nia Teacher in Rolling Hills Estates, CA

I have been working at Spectrum Athletic Clubs as a contractor (more than 8 years)

Pros

Close to home and easy parking.

Cons

no pay raise since I started 10 years ago

compensate your successful dedicated teachers

Sales representative

Current Employee - Membership Sales in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Membership Sales in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Spectrum Athletic Clubs full-time

Pros

when you do not make enough money to pay your bills and everyday is extremely negative, I cannot think of any pros

Cons

if you are not in management you will sit and watch complete abuse of power. you will get to witness people that are there to support your success leave early and if they are there, completely disregard their team for their own financial gain.

why bother. no one cares. everyone knows this company is sinking so management that is left is only looking out for themselves.

Excellent members and place to get your feet wet with health and fitness

I have been working at Spectrum Athletic Clubs full-time

Pros

Feels like a team. Positive energy.

Cons

Numbers focused. Lots of constantly updated policy and promotion changes. Communication difficulties.

Clearer communication. Big Picture.

Membership

Current Employee - Membership Sales
    Current Employee - Membership Sales

I have been working at Spectrum Athletic Clubs full-time

Pros

Close to the house and easy commute while living with parents. I get a free membership and I get to let friends and family workout for free. Some members are nice. Some employees are cool (usually the ones going to school to do something completely different, just here for a paycheck at the moment). These are the only perks.

Cons

Extremely numbers driven. Most of the time the employees with the highest numbers are the employees doing all the shady deals, then these are the same employees that eventually get promoted, and of course these are the first people to throw their team members under the bus for any little thing.
    Very long hours in order to meet numbers, and pretty little $$$ I might add.
    I look forward to getting a real job very soon. I will not be missing this place ever.

Does it really matter? They never listen anyway.

Decent place to start a career

Current Employee - Personal Trainer in Thousand Oaks, CA
    Current Employee - Personal Trainer in Thousand Oaks, CA

I have been working at Spectrum Athletic Clubs full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Learning opportunity
    Great team of trainers

Cons

Not very much money
    Little support

Invest more into continuing education

Don't drink the koolaid

Former Employee - Fitness Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Fitness Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Spectrum Athletic Clubs full-time

Pros

The pros are that the trainers and fitness managers (most of them) at Spectrum are top notch. The clubs are generally very nice and kept up well and have great new equipment. The El Segundo Club is like the Disneyland of health Clubs.

Cons

Spectrum is very confused about who it is as a company and is constantly trying to shift this direction and that direction to compete with other fitness chains when it comes to personal training revenue. The focus on money money money has blinded this company to what the truly important aspects of health clubs are and that is the members and having GREAT employees who love where they work so that the members also have a great experience. Turnover is frequent, whether people are fired or whether they choose to leave (that would be me), and this leaves member issues falling through the cracks. If you are desperate for a managing job in the fitness industry, there are positions open, but just be aware what you are getting yourself into. It's no the glossy shiny happiness place that the posters around the building try to reflect. You can make good money, but you will pretty much not have a life unless you are able to not care about things and just do what you can and walk away at the end of the day.

Sell the company and move on to managing in a field that you are passionate about and understand. There's no fixing this mess unless the change happens at the top.

Spectrum Athletic Clubs Photos