Spectrum Athletic Clubs

www.spectrumclubs.com

Spectrum Athletic Clubs Reviews

Updated Feb 8, 2014
Spectrum Athletic Clubs – Los Angeles – “Spectrum Athletic clubs”

Bud Rockhill

Great Classes with Dedicated Friendly Members

Pilates, Yoga Nia Teacher (Current Employee) Rolling Hills Estates, CA

ProsClose to home and easy parking.

Consno pay raise since I started 10 years ago

Advice to Senior Managementcompensate your successful dedicated teachers

Sales

General Manaegr (Former Employee) Valencia, CA

ProsNot too many pros to think of. I guess i could say getting a free membership was cool since the gym was always clean.

ConsCompensation plan changes constantly for the worst. Upper Management doesn't have a clue.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey need to hire old school gym pro's in order to really grow their brand.

They do not put their employees first

Kids Club Attendant (Current Employee) Rolling Hills Estates, CA

ProsFreedom, flexible hours, friendly staff.

ConsNo room for growth, horrible pay, no raises, only 3.4 hours a day.

Advice to Senior ManagementAs a requirement to work in the kids club you must get finger printed and have cpr training. They do not pay for your fingerprints, you have to pay 80 dollars out of your pocket. If you want your employees to get fingerprinted, then you need to provide it. We should not have to go out of our way to do it and also have to pay so much for it. Your company makes billions, you can help out your employees. Also, you need raises... no one is going to commit to working for you or stay long with no incentive.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Sales representative

Membership Sales (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

Proswhen you do not make enough money to pay your bills and everyday is extremely negative, I cannot think of any pros

Consif you are not in management you will sit and watch complete abuse of power. you will get to witness people that are there to support your success leave early and if they are there, completely disregard their team for their own financial gain.

Advice to Senior Managementwhy bother. no one cares. everyone knows this company is sinking so management that is left is only looking out for themselves.

Excellent members and place to get your feet wet with health and fitness

ProsFeels like a team. Positive energy.

ConsNumbers focused. Lots of constantly updated policy and promotion changes. Communication difficulties.

Advice to Senior ManagementClearer communication. Big Picture.

Membership

Membership Sales (Current Employee)

ProsClose to the house and easy commute while living with parents. I get a free membership and I get to let friends and family workout for free. Some members are nice. Some employees are cool (usually the ones going to school to do something completely different, just here for a paycheck at the moment). These are the only perks.

ConsExtremely numbers driven. Most of the time the employees with the highest numbers are the employees doing all the shady deals, then these are the same employees that eventually get promoted, and of course these are the first people to throw their team members under the bus for any little thing.
    Very long hours in order to meet numbers, and pretty little $$$ I might add.
    I look forward to getting a real job very soon. I will not be missing this place ever.

Advice to Senior ManagementDoes it really matter? They never listen anyway.

Decent place to start a career

Personal Trainer (Current Employee) Thousand Oaks, CA

ProsLearning opportunity
    Great team of trainers

ConsNot very much money
    Little support

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest more into continuing education

Don't drink the koolaid

Fitness Manager (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsThe pros are that the trainers and fitness managers (most of them) at Spectrum are top notch. The clubs are generally very nice and kept up well and have great new equipment. The El Segundo Club is like the Disneyland of health Clubs.

ConsSpectrum is very confused about who it is as a company and is constantly trying to shift this direction and that direction to compete with other fitness chains when it comes to personal training revenue. The focus on money money money has blinded this company to what the truly important aspects of health clubs are and that is the members and having GREAT employees who love where they work so that the members also have a great experience. Turnover is frequent, whether people are fired or whether they choose to leave (that would be me), and this leaves member issues falling through the cracks. If you are desperate for a managing job in the fitness industry, there are positions open, but just be aware what you are getting yourself into. It's no the glossy shiny happiness place that the posters around the building try to reflect. You can make good money, but you will pretty much not have a life unless you are able to not care about things and just do what you can and walk away at the end of the day.

Advice to Senior ManagementSell the company and move on to managing in a field that you are passionate about and understand. There's no fixing this mess unless the change happens at the top.

Get a clue

Membership (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

Pros* Work out for free (obviously)
    * Very nice members

Cons* Questionable how many people have management positions- a lot are not professional or know how to deal with people
    * A lot of game playing by management who would most likely not be manager quality at any other organizations outside of Spectrum
    * Very low pay and no respect, internally
    * Extremely high turnover due to work environments
    * HR doesn't get back to employees at all, or in a timely manner, even after numerous attempts
    * Overall the company has poor management in place and has a long road ahead to be a profitable business and have staying power

Advice to Senior ManagementReally know who is running your clubs. You might be surprised how many individuals with higher positions take advantage and take it for granted, working very little hours and treating anybody in non management positions as disposable (it's very clear the reason behind the high turnover). I challenge you to clean house for the integrity of the company.

My experience has been very rewarding and has help to improve my skill level as an instructor.

Group Exercise Instructor (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsGreat place to work. Very clean and equipment is always updated.

ConsWell you have to stay on your toes and constantlu keep up with trend or you may be out of the loop.

Advice to Senior ManagementNo advice for management.

Worked for Spectrum Athletic Clubs? Contribute to the Community!