Spectrum Brands

Be The First To
Add Photos

Spectrum Brands CEO David R. Lumley

David R. Lumley

Don't work in the credit department

Deduction Specialist (Former Employee)

Prosability to move from credit department to other departments but you have to work in the credit department for a year.

ConsThe whole company does not value employees. Credit department has extremely high turn over because of the management.

Advice to Senior Managementhard working people and management have been fired but people that are known for their bad track records keep their jobs

Fast Paced, Never Boring, Great Career Starter job

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsNever Boring. A good place to start out and move up a little in the ranks, but hard to get into middle management (if you survive the ups and downs).

ConsWork force fluctuates drastically with seasonal business. Make sure you are prepared to go to what's next as you never know whether you'll be on the chopping block.

Spectrum is a great company to work for.

ProsMadison is a great town. SB is a great city to work with.

ConsNothing much bad to say

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Spectrum Brands...not just one business

Ass Product Manager (Current Employee) Miami, FL

ProsAble to leave work at work

ConsLimited movement inside the company

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep expanding the number of companies

Good place to work

Senior Industrial Designer (Current Employee) Madison, WI

ProsBetter than average communication from upper management.
    Good Benefits and incentives.
    Most employees are great to work with.
    Emphasis on life-work balance and involvement in the community.

ConsCommunication with team supervisors is horrible.
    Little or no orientation beside a corporate overview.
    Limited opportunities for advancement.
    No chance to evaluate peers or management.

Advice to Senior ManagementFormalize processes or document day-to-day processes.
    Reconsider placing supervisors to oversee reports with different backgrounds/more experience.
    Emphasize professional development or create initiatives for advancement besides pay/bonus increases.
    Plan more opportunities to interact between groups/departments.

Alright place to work on paper... but up close and personal? Not recommended.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Madison, WI

ProsThe company is very dedicated to hiring smart and dedicated employees. I always felt my peers were on my level.. committed, knew what they were doing, and all around fun to work with.

ConsMid-level management does not always know enough about the product their team is managing. It always seemed there was too-much management at that level. Question on this? Ask person A. Help with that? Ask Person B. And so on. They got too caught up in the details of how to sell the product--so much so, that I was forced to focus more on the details than ACTUALLY SELLING the product I was hired to sell.

Advice to Senior ManagementEase off some of the strategic goals--focus on what is important--moving product, and maintaining healthy, respectful relationships with the buyers of your products.

Great people work here who know the industry and have a clear understanding of their place in the market.

Supply Chain (Current Employee) Saint Louis, MO

ProsFantastic senior leadership, especially in the Home & Garden division.
    Employees are given responsibility and expected to deliver results.
    As an employee you are shown exactly how you can contribute to company success

ConsCompany will deliver the numbers, no matter what it takes.
    When things are going tough, moral dips with everyone concerned what will be done to hit the numbers
    Business is so seasonal that a bad week in season can lead to dramatic highs and lows.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to show employees their value within organization.

Excellent employer on the right track

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Madison, WI

ProsThe senior management have consistently led us in the proper direction to remain competitive and profitable in a tough economy. While other companies are falling further behind, our profits continue and the ground level employees continue to be rewarded for their hard work.

ConsNone - as long as you recognize that employees should remain open to new challenges and should consistently strive to do well versus becoming complacent with where you've gotten to.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great work!

Unstable Work enviroment in the Alpharetta office.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Alpharetta, GA

ProsGood Benefits and perks for employees.

ConsLays of many, many time. Upper management staff seemed to not communicate vital information. Needed better management. No company events. Moral was very low.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunication is key.

Loved the Job but was laid off too early

Seasonal Merchandising Associate (Former Employee) Saint Louis, MO

ProsGreat Job! Worked in big box retailers merchandising line of weed and pest control products. lots of latitude in work hours with a chance to use your ability to improve product sales and inventory turnover. I was responsible for 19 stores with minimal management presence or direction. Pay was decent but no benefits.

ConsNot enough hours available in weekly schedule to get things done. Was only provided 20-30 hours a week to work 19 stores and with windshield drive time between stores was not able to visit every store on a frequent schedule

Advice to Senior ManagementGive people more time to complete projects within the stores. With 20 stores it is hard to visit each store to complete the required tasks at hand

Worked for Spectrum Brands? Contribute to the Community!