Spectrum Health

Be The First To
Add Photos

Spectrum Health President and CEO Rick Breon

Rick Breon

Pros
  • Great benefits including 403B match and good PTO accrual(in 5 reviews)

• Good salary, Good benefits, Good location(in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • However, it's hard to have all teams and departments be perfect at such a large organization(in 4 reviews)

• As with an big organization, things can be slow moving(in 3 reviews)

Big company, little person.

Registered Nurse (Current Employee) Grand Rapids, MI

ProsIt's nice to have resources and people available when you need them -- there is always someone you can turn to for help. There is not as much constant worry about the few dollars here and there - the equipment and personnel are in ready supply.

ConsNothing moves quickly or easily in a huge bureaucracy. It's easy to feel like "just another number" or a cog in the big machine. The "rules" are constantly changing, coming down from above. Difficult to find compassion in such an environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop duplicating your work -- find time to understand what it's like in the trenches and have some compassion for the individual circumstances of each employee. The company cannot reach its potential for greatness if we get lost in the details. The employees must be made to believe that their opinions and the way they do their job MATTERS.

Harsh Management

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat benefits including 403B match and good PTO accrual

ConsCut throat management style, over bearing administration

Rehab Technician

Rehab Tech (Current Employee) East Grand Rapids, MI

ProsGood pay. Excellent staff

ConsConflicting messages from upper management

Advice to Senior ManagementBe united

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Micro-management at its finest...

Substance Abuse Counselor (Current Employee)

ProsBenefits, and it's a job I guess

ConsNo advancement, terrible shifts, terrible pay, no respect from management, lies from the get go, promises made just to get you hired...I could go on and on.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't treat your employees like they don't matter. Without them, there would be no Spectrum. Quid Pro Quo is huge in this company as is nepotism.

Hard to move internally if you excel where you are at

Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) Grand Rapids, MI

ProsCompensation and Benefits are good
    You learn a lot about the industry from all sides

ConsNo respect for work/life balance
    Administrative employees expected to work 10 hour days, take work home with them, be on call to work in other departments on weekends
    Not able to move positions within the system easily if your boss likes you too much to let you go

Advice to Senior ManagementRecognize your internal equity and allow staff to move within for career development before you lose your staff to other companies.
    Listen to your staff about issues because they know what they are talking about.

Low Pay

Office (Current Employee) Ludington, MI

ProsGood group of employees, great benefits. I really enjoy my manager, my coworkers, and the people I see daily. It is a small community, it is like a family.

ConsNo growth within Ludington area, too soon to tell with all of spectrum, they do not pay well. Too many decisions about policy made by the Directors. This should be more consistant

Advice to Senior ManagementLook at the ability of employees, not years of service. Have your reviews actually mean something to the employees, and take the time to do them right. I shouldn't be rated the same as the other employees.

Great Place to work

ProsLarge organization with a ton of opportunity for growth.
    Great clinical staff who thrive in exceptional quality of care.
    Great facilities.

ConsNeeds to update their archaic technology, but the same can be said of most healthcare organizations.

Overall decent place to work

Financial Analyst (Current Employee) Grand Rapids, MI

ProsLarge company with a lot of room for movement and advancement. Pay is average for a nonprofit hospital system. Work life balance is great with flexible schedule.

ConsPay is all based on years of experience and not necessarily on performance. Too many meetings with little output. Seem to spend half the day in meetings and preparing for meetings that have little output.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't be afraid to pay and advance high performers and get rid of under performers.

work hard

Membership Coordinator (Former Employee) San Antonio, TX

Prosgreat place to work if you put in the hours

Consyou have to signup everyone from the start or you get no referrals, be there first to get the first walkin and the most. the cold calls are crap, i never got 1 signup from those

Advice to Senior Managementactually be there, our manager was in office about 20% of the time, we had to handle all customer problems and make sure the place was running properly instead of selling

So so

Substance Abuse Counselor (Current Employee) Baxley, GA

ProsPart time is wonderful. It's aim is needed in today's society

ConsInside program has poor managers/directors and supervisors

Advice to Senior ManagementHire better

Worked for Spectrum Health? Contribute to the Community!