Spectrum Health

Be The First To
Add Photos

Spectrum Health President and CEO Rick Breon

Rick Breon

Pros
  • Great benefits including 403B match and good PTO accrual(in 5 reviews)

• Good salary, Good benefits, Good location(in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • However, it's hard to have all teams and departments be perfect at such a large organization(in 4 reviews)

• As with an big organization, things can be slow moving(in 3 reviews)

Satisfied

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Grand Rapids, MI

ProsFlexible, family oriented, people oriented

ConsThere seems to be a lot of turnover

Great place to work; competitive salary

ProsGreat place to work; competitive salary

ConsLarge company; things can take a while to get done.

Not what I expected and was mislead during interview

ProsLots of nice people who feel the same way and support each other.

ConsLittle to no accountability, leadership is not strategic in its practices or operations, 20 years behind in thinking and technology, low employee morale, unethical practices, no training or development throughout the company, people not honest because leadership says be honest yet comes back to bite you, lack of partnerships and collaborations, is a big company but acts like a small starting company

Advice to Senior ManagementHold selves and others accountable, be who you say you are and don't say who you want to be yet really are not.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Overall, I had a great time working there.

Nurse Technician (Former Employee) Grand Rapids, MI

ProsIts a teaching hospital, so I had many opportunities to learn from many different experiences. The people I worked with were awesome.

ConsNone that I can think of

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

Looking for another job

Licensed Practical Nurse (Current Employee) Grand Rapids, MI

ProsNothing for the past 2 years

ConsWork short staffed every day, run from the time you get there till the time you leave

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter wake up & smell the coffee before all your good help is gone! Stop hiring all these "professionals" that are suppose to tell you what the problems are & start actually LISTENING to your employees. Stop telling us "we're working in things" & SHOW us, actions speak louder than words! As soon as I can find another job, I'm out of there!

SBCS

ProsFlexible, supervisors are all nice, able to move around

ConsLarge work load, no over time

Too Big

Clerical (Former Employee)

ProsDecent benefits package, nice co workers, pay is fair, growing company, career movement if you have higher education

ConsHuge company that keeps growing which is fine.. except for the fact that the higher up's seem more concerned with who they can merge with or take over next. Come across as greedy ,cold, and not really supportive when it comes to continuing education. Even thought they say that they are supportive, I was told by an human resource representative and other ;manager that they basically did not care about my school schedule or me trying to continue my education for health care. Even thought they were moving the office I worked at to a new building, and were changing my hours.When I asked about hour and shift flexibility due to school I was told " In an organization that employees 20,000+ people we can not possibly make any exceptions for you.. if we did that then we would have to do that for everyone." Also being told that we had 3 days to choose from a list of 3 other jobs that the new building would have and if we did not want to pick from those 3 jobs ( regardless of if your old schedule was different) you would be moved to resource staffing and had about 4 months to find a different job because once the 4 months was up your employment would END.

Advice to Senior Managementstop being so greedy and worried about how you can make more money... be more appreciative of your staff and do what you say your going to do.

High expectations, low pay

ProsCoworkers are like family and benefits are quite decent. Mid level management is generally receptive to suggestions. The head of nursing at the children's hospital also connects with staff regularly.

ConsWe are continually pushed to achieve excellence and our raises don't even keep up with inflation. It is such a joke, especially considering that SH is once again applying for magnet status.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou're not going to be the best health care facility by 2020 unless you start treating your nursing staff like valuable professionals and not a budget you can cut while you hire more administrators and build more pretty buildings.

Big company, little person.

Registered Nurse (Current Employee) Grand Rapids, MI

ProsIt's nice to have resources and people available when you need them -- there is always someone you can turn to for help. There is not as much constant worry about the few dollars here and there - the equipment and personnel are in ready supply.

ConsNothing moves quickly or easily in a huge bureaucracy. It's easy to feel like "just another number" or a cog in the big machine. The "rules" are constantly changing, coming down from above. Difficult to find compassion in such an environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop duplicating your work -- find time to understand what it's like in the trenches and have some compassion for the individual circumstances of each employee. The company cannot reach its potential for greatness if we get lost in the details. The employees must be made to believe that their opinions and the way they do their job MATTERS.

Harsh Management

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat benefits including 403B match and good PTO accrual

ConsCut throat management style, over bearing administration

Worked for Spectrum Health? Contribute to the Community!