Spectrum Health

Updated November 23, 2014
3.1

Spectrum Health President and CEO Rick Breon
Rick Breon

Pros
  • Great benefits including 403B match and good PTO accrual (in 6 reviews)

• Work life balance is great with flexible schedule (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • However, it's hard to have all teams and departments be perfect at such a large organization (in 4 reviews)

• Conflicting messages from upper management (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Dangerous, Micromanaged

Current Employee - Nurse
    Current Employee - Nurse

I have been working at Spectrum Health full-time

Pros

Coworkers and benefits
    Not much else

Cons

Consistently understaffed. Nursing staff mandated weekly for the past year.. Plenty of micromanagement "auditing" and pointing out nitpicky issues, while having time to chit chat. Floor staff in tears due to consistent understaffing and management refusing to address floor staff's concerns and needs. This, unfortunately trickles down onto the residents. Complaints from family are heard daily. Patients and residents frequently say, "You need more HELP. My loved one has been waiting for 30 minutes to use the bathroom." This pains us; we WANT to give the BEST care, but we are not provided resources. Additionally, the UPPERS continue to round on the floors, writing on huge, postable sheets of paper, all of the things they see wrong. This process continues; yet, it has done nothing for improving the situation. It HAS lowered staff morale. It HAS reinforced mistrust of ancillary staff. It has NOT changed: There are no additional benefits to the staff nor the residents. Staff frequently break down and cry due to lack of support and feeling, as one coworker stated, "like a modern day slave". The State of Michigan is in regularly due to complaints.

Lies to get people in the door.

Current Employee - CDP in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - CDP in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Spectrum Health full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Working with clients who want to be helped

Cons

Management in WA state (NW region) are complete liars.

Hire a NW region Management who are honest and do not lie to get people to work for them.

Lots of opportunity, lots of structure.

Current Employee - Nutritional Supply Chain in Reed City, MI
    Current Employee - Nutritional Supply Chain in Reed City, MI

I have been working at Spectrum Health full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Opportunity to grow and set forth a path to grow is a huge advantage. The system is structured so that it functions in smooth and predictable manner. Definitely a leader in the industry.

Cons

The system is slow to recognize the need for change or to make meaningful change when needed.

Implement change and employee advancement plans as per annual review within a realistic and set timeframe.

Satisfied

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Grand Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at Spectrum Health full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible, family oriented, people oriented

Cons

There seems to be a lot of turnover

Great place to work; competitive salary

I have been working at Spectrum Health

Pros

Great place to work; competitive salary

Cons

Large company; things can take a while to get done.

Great Mission, Great Company

I have been working at Spectrum Health

Pros

The health care delivery side of the organization is patient focused and top notch, despite all the challenges coming from the healthcare regulation. Amazing people all around in health care.

Cons

The insurance side of the company (Spectrum recently merged with Priority Health) is a cultural misfit and is diametrically opposed from the patient focused mission of Spectrum. You can literally tell the difference depending upon what HQ or campus you're working on. It's two organizations with vastly different missions and foci.

Choose whether to be a health care organization or a health insurance organization. Doing both is proving impossible culturally.

Overall, I had a great time working there.

Former Employee - Nurse Technician in Grand Rapids, MI
    Former Employee - Nurse Technician in Grand Rapids, MI

I worked at Spectrum Health full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Its a teaching hospital, so I had many opportunities to learn from many different experiences. The people I worked with were awesome.

Cons

None that I can think of

None

Looking for another job

Current Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse in Grand Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at Spectrum Health part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Nothing for the past 2 years

Cons

Work short staffed every day, run from the time you get there till the time you leave

Better wake up & smell the coffee before all your good help is gone! Stop hiring all these "professionals" that are suppose to tell you what the problems are & start actually LISTENING to your employees. Stop telling us "we're working in things" & SHOW us, actions speak louder than words! As soon as I can find another job, I'm out of there!

SBCS

I have been working at Spectrum Health

Pros

Flexible, supervisors are all nice, able to move around

Cons

Large work load, no over time

Too Big

Former Employee - Clerical
    Former Employee - Clerical

I worked at Spectrum Health full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Decent benefits package, nice co workers, pay is fair, growing company, career movement if you have higher education

Cons

Huge company that keeps growing which is fine.. except for the fact that the higher up's seem more concerned with who they can merge with or take over next. Come across as greedy ,cold, and not really supportive when it comes to continuing education. Even thought they say that they are supportive, I was told by an human resource representative and other ;manager that they basically did not care about my school schedule or me trying to continue my education for health care. Even thought they were moving the office I worked at to a new building, and were changing my hours.When I asked about hour and shift flexibility due to school I was told " In an organization that employees 20,000+ people we can not possibly make any exceptions for you.. if we did that then we would have to do that for everyone." Also being told that we had 3 days to choose from a list of 3 other jobs that the new building would have and if we did not want to pick from those 3 jobs ( regardless of if your old schedule was different) you would be moved to resource staffing and had about 4 months to find a different job because once the 4 months was up your employment would END.

stop being so greedy and worried about how you can make more money... be more appreciative of your staff and do what you say your going to do.