Spectrum Health Reviews

Updated August 21, 2014

3.2

Spectrum Health President and CEO Rick Breon
Rick Breon

Pros
  • Great benefits including 403B match and good PTO accrual (in 5 reviews)

• Good salary, Good benefits, Good location (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • However, it's hard to have all teams and departments be perfect at such a large organization (in 4 reviews)

• As with an big organization, things can be slow moving (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Pre-retirement

Current Employee - Physician  in  Grand Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - Physician in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at Spectrum Health full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Striving to be a model of integrative medical care for children and adults.

Cons

A large and growing group that has some growing pains.

Be more open and transparent at all times. Make better predictions of the future.

Strive store the best, but know what you are getting in to

Current Employee - Director  in  Grand Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - Director in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at Spectrum Health full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Spectrum Health really wants to be the best healthcare organization in the country. This drives leadership to push very hard to meet that goal. Professionalism is very high.

Cons

The relentless pursuit of success also has a downside. People often feel the crush of the machine and treated as tools to get the job done.

It is not easy to balance these two competing nature's. Management needs to do whatever they can to bridge this gap and recognize employees.

It's the people that make this company

Former Employee - IT Intern  in  Kentwood, MI
    Former Employee - IT Intern in Kentwood, MI

I worked at Spectrum Health as an intern for less than a year

Pros

There are great people to work with
    There's very good job security
    Most managers allow for flexible work hours

Cons

It's a big organization, so things move very slowly
    At times there is a lot of pressure. Lives are on the line, but that's what you signed up for.

Keep doing what you're doing. Maybe make the push to speed things up a little on the internal processes.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

contract professional perspective

Former Employee - Pharmacist  in  Grand Rapids, MI
    Former Employee - Pharmacist in Grand Rapids, MI

I worked at Spectrum Health as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Spectrum has great potential and lots of money to make things happen. Their direction for patient's to have one stop shopping for start to finish medical care is a worthy goal. Facilities are top notch.

Cons

Unfortunately, different entities in the system are not well coordinated and work awkwardly together in the cases that I have seen. There is a great focus on quality control and backward looking metrics, such as problem reporting and corrective action documentation. Too little resources are devoted to adequate staffing and support so that the problems don't occur in the first place.

You are trying to fix a system that is inherently flawed, instead of creating systems with the right people in place to get tasks done correctly the first time. Many entities in the organization do not have a sense of urgency with regard to proper patient care.

Spectrum Health

Current Employee - Finance  in  Grand Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - Finance in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at Spectrum Health full-time for more than a year

Pros

There is an excellent staff, and work environment throughout my department and it seems throughout the entire organization. There is constant positive reinforcement, and they are always looking to assist with individuals looking to get to the next "rung" of the ladder.

Cons

Through word of mouth I have heard that there a few (VERY few) teams that may not have such a positive work environment. However, it's hard to have all teams and departments be perfect at such a large organization.

Keep up the good work!

Politics play a large part in a lot of the advancement opportunities

Current Employee - Material Handler  in  Grand Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - Material Handler in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at Spectrum Health full-time for more than a year

Pros

There are a lot of coworkers to meet and there are a lot of opportunities to apply for different jobs within the company

Cons

Politics play a very large role in the choosing of employees for promotions. It seems that the management is very cliquey, and plays favoritism when promoting. A lot of promotions are pre-determined.

The downfalls of Monopolies.

Former Employee - Staff  in  Grand Rapids, MI
    Former Employee - Staff in Grand Rapids, MI

I worked at Spectrum Health full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I really loved the staff. I worked not only with doctors, case workers and nurses but an array of individuals that made it all work. Chain supply support, unit secretaries, unit aids, ministries, kitchen staff, nurse techs. The list goes on. They were the most dedicated workers I have worked with in a long time. They genuinely cared for the well being of the patients, the patients outcome and the family and friends of the patients.

Cons

Management. I believe that HR is so far removed to the politics of the floors they are unsympathetic to the individuals. Management on the floors is very political. They tell you your voice is important to make good changes for the company or even the individual units. But in reality, they are very bias and only except the voices of those they choose to listen to and if you voice something that doesn't fit their particular politics they will reprimand you for the most minute issues until they can fire you or break you down till you quit. This happened often but behind closed doors. The stress was so great that there were those that had 25+ years resign. But not all managers were like this, there where some that made it a pleasure to work on their units.

There is a lot of favoritism within this company. It is very political. There are rules that they create as they go and may vary per manager, but the rules are only applied to the "select". Those whom they target to terminate that do not fit into their "cookie cut out". There was little fairness. There are so many rules and new policies created daily, that it creates incredible pressure and stress on the staff that work on the floor. The stress is already there when you have to care for the dying and the ill, families that are irate or grieving members. When you make your staff feel as though they can do no "right" and most everything "wrong" you create a hostile environment. Whether it be an 8 hour shift or a 12 hour shift. You should be focused on the patients needs and the job at hand. Not whether or not you did something as small as leaving a cup on a desk and management will follow up with a reprimand. It's the staff that work on the floor that make Spectrum what and who they are, not the management. Without the dedicated staff this company would be nothing. There are a lot of positions of management that do nothing more socializing, not with the patients, where money is wasted. Getting rid of good staff, and replacing them with part time resource without benefits is not a solution to taking care of financial problem. Enough said.

Stable

Current Employee - Registered Nurse  in  Grand Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at Spectrum Health

Pros

Regular and reliable, good team

Cons

Big and easy to be just a number

I am thankful to be a Spectrum Health Employee and enjoy my job.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Grand Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at Spectrum Health

Pros

Spectrum Health is a leader in its field. I enjoy working with my immediate supervisor and my co-workers.

Cons

It is a really big organization.

Great first job experience

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Reed City, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reed City, MI

I have been working at Spectrum Health

Pros

Great connectivity of peers and fellow coworkers

Cons

Very unfair treatment among fellow coworkers. Similar behaviors or tasks are not treated the same by upper management.

Be more open to your employees and understand their issues when they bring them to you. They happier they are, the happier your patients are, the more revenue you make.

Worked for Spectrum Health? Contribute to the Community!