Spee Dee Delivery

Updated Jul 3, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Donald Weeres

Good Job but some people could be more helpful.

Night Driver (Current Employee) Des Moines, IA

ProsPay and you stay busy time goes by pretty fast.

ConsSome people are lazy and the driving sucks.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure all work is equal!

Group Leader

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsUmmm... You're your own boss most the day.

ConsManagement has no idea whats going on half the time. Rather put more work on others when they can easily do it themselves.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet it together, really!

Soon to leave, can't wait to count down the days!

Route Driver (Current Employee)

Pros..... ummm, none. I really can't think of anything I like about this job.

ConsPay, Vacation, and management is a joke.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn more about what you should be doing, help others don't just put more work for the other drivers. Get things done faster, not just when it suits you.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It's ok here

ProsYou are usually on your own all day.

ConsPay could be better for some.

What a joke!

Driver (Former Employee)

ProsLots of downtime. Ok pay for unskilled workers. A decent place to get a start if you dont want to go to college or are justbout of prison. Benefits are ok if you have never had them before.

ConsLie about your hours to you. I was told I would be off by 130 almost everyday, wrong try 5. Terrible pay. Horrible vacation policy. Laughable bonuses if you have ever received one in your life. Zero standards in training. No consequences for laziness. On my second day I sat down and just waited for direction, I did not get any so just jumped in to help. I then was told I was doing everything wrong and to go away. Get to hear everyone talk about the guy that makes 14 dollars an hour and how well off he is! Hahaha.

Advice to Senior ManagementKnow your place! There's a reason you don't work for UPS or FED Ex. You should talk to your new hires and include them to the team. I dont think they care about any advice they would be given. Also why is there so much focus on company history? It is all that they talked about. Stop living in the past.

Its a job

Driver (Current Employee) Bloomington, IL

Prosalright pay for a single guy with no kids.

Consdealing with people that treat you badly on a daily basis, a lot of heavy lifting, unorganized morning rituals, forced to shave, forced to wear uniforms that don't fit and don't breathe, vans do not have air or radios, punished for not having enough work, shady management, try not to pay out on 401 or work mans comp.,

Advice to Senior ManagementYour company started pretty well, but your head has become to big, it isnt YOUR company anymore, you have over 1500 employees..... act like it, "because thats how it is" is NOT an ok answer form management. you arent in one snow covered state anymore. I WOULD LOVE TO YOU IN SPEE-DEE GEAR ON A 100 DEGREE HUMID DAY IN IL.

A good place to start out.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Saint Cloud, MN

ProsThere are many opportunities to learn new job skills and gain understanding about business flow.
    Excellent place to get working experience for any of the jobs offered.
    Regular pay raises according to performance.
    Employment is relatively stable as long as you perform well as the company has not ever performed layoffs.
    In high turnover locations, delivery drivers can expect opportunities for career advancement.
    Ability to interact with higher levels of management easily.

ConsVery strict vacation policy. There is a total number of employees across the company that may have vacation on any given day. This could result in a Driver in North Dakota being denied for vacation if a package pusher in Illinois requested the last available vacation slot. Additionally, vacation of less than 1 full week can not be requested until within 2 weeks of the requested date making planning shorter vacations difficult. Vacation days offered to employees are fairly minimal and none are available to the employee until after the end of their first year of employment. Employees receive costly hits on their reviews for any time clock punch more than 1 minute late.

All office employees are on the same pay scale regardless of job, unless they are management. This results in Sales, Customer Service, IT, Payroll, and Data Entry all paid the same hourly wage regardless of the difficulty or level of competence and skill required to perform the job . This pay scale also spans to different terminal locations. This is good if you are in a location where the cost of living is low but less desirable where the cost of living is high.

No radios or AC in delivery vehicles. They often leak when it rains and the heaters may under-perform in the winter.

Advice to Senior ManagementUnderstand that an update to the pay scale may be necessary to attract high quality employees. This could include modifying the pay scale based on location as well as job performed in the offices. Your employees also have personal lives. It would be beneficial to loosen up vacation/sick policies to allow employees to be more flexible.

Spee Dee Delivery Driver

Driver (Current Employee) Saint Cloud, MN

ProsBest reasons to work for Spee Dee Delivery is working with the other drivers. A great group of guys. Also, plenty of overtime.

ConsLow pay compared to other package delivery companies. Start out making $11 a hour with .50 cent raises every 6 months until you max out around $15 a hour. Compare that to UPS's $28 an hour or Fed Ex's $22 a hour.

Advice to Senior ManagementCurrently if you want a day off you can use your personal time only if you request 10 days or less in advance and even then your lucky to get the day off you want. Management wants everyone to ask off for an entire week rather then use single days. I would change that.

This company regards people's lives as cheap and the package they deliver like GOD.

Lead Package Handler (Current Employee)

ProsYou can throw packages because no one cares if you do - I would be proud of the rates if there were good reasons for them.

ConsManagement quality is variable. Few managers are well informed or consistently care about people, quality work, quality training or addressing problems. I witnessed 22 drivers quitting in one year at a smaller terminal (21 routes). Drivers and part time help are treated with less value than the packages they handle - stingy vacation scheduling, expected to drive in dangerous conditions, driving and handling freight in very hot conditions (NO AC and very little temperature management) no reward for those who work very hard, often pushy and demanding managers.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe rate gap between Spee Dee and Fed Ex and UPS is very large. While the service is set up differently the customers chose it because it nearly accomplishes the same for a lot less. Deserving drivers and package handlers should be paid much better. Review Managers!

Good job for entry level employment

Driver (Current Employee)

ProsIf you are willing to give it your best in this job and are willing to work overtime a person can make a good living. The management and the employee's work as a team and if you work with them it can be a good place to work.

ConsWork hours are long and drivers are are still required to help load trucks many times without breaks in order to make delivery times. Drivers are expected to make all deliveries before the end of shift.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt might be a good time to offer customers rates for quick and not so quick service.
    Could give employee's vacation pay based on average hours worked per week and not just 40 hours.

Worked for Spee Dee Delivery? Contribute to the Community!