Speedway LLC

Speedway LLC Reviews

Updated Jul 22, 2014

Speedway LLC President Tony Kenney

Tony Kenney

Pros
  • Many opportunities for advancement(in 8 reviews)

• Decent benefits (for full time and management only)(in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Long work hours for managers with no lunch and no breaks ever(in 33 reviews)

• Long hours, bad leadership, too much work with too little help(in 17 reviews)

Great HR internship experience, but unstructured and unorganized

Human Resources Intern (Former Employee) Grand Rapids, MI

ProsGain experience in the field, develop an understanding of recruiting for employees in a retail environment. Ability to experience all the different aspects of Human Resources. Experience all different aspects of the company, travel to stores so not always being in the office was a plus. Loved being able to interview and be involved in the staffing process from start to finish. Well-paid internship.

ConsProgram was unstructured and unorganized, often felt like I had to "beg" for things to do and was being underutilized.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork to create better structure for the HR internship position, consider structuring program similar to the operations program, including intern spending time on-site at the stores.

Company

Store Co- Manager (Former Employee) Milwaukee, WI

ProsGreat pay, easy job, Best benifits a company can offer.

ConsWorks many hours, turnover rate very high in some stores.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo research, to ensure that this is a company for you before you apply.

Great starter job (Corporate)

Analyst (Current Employee) Enon, OH

ProsFriendly laid back environment, great pay and benefits

ConsManagement - they can seem cold and not caring. Employees at Speedway are like a revolving door, they stay for around 5 years then they split.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more active and open in the lives of your employees

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Hard work

Customer Service Representative/Cashier (Former Employee) New Castle, IN

Prosgood place to work with different kinds of people

Consneed more training and more help we always seemed to be short staffed

To Each their Own

ProsThe attire is comfortable and professional.

ConsStore was kept dirty. My hours were not consistent.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsistency in hours is a definite must for change. I can not live if I am getting 8 hours one week and 15 the next.

Shift Leader, soon to be Co-Manager Trainee.

Shift Leader/CMT (Current Employee) Milwaukee, WI

ProsCustomers get to know you and become your regulars, decent work crew depending on how managers utilize optimal scheduling, flexibility, above average starting pay in my state. I've loved my job since day one, if you build good rapport with co-workers and management you'll definitely get the respect and recognition you deserve.

ConsIf you cannot keep up with a fast-environment, this is not the job for you. You have to be a quick learner, fast, efficient, and should be able to have the initiative to do things without being told to do so. For lack of a better word, if you're a lazy individual that likes to stand around an entire shift - this is definitely NOT the job for you. Also, there are really no breaks unless you smoke cigarettes. Personally, I'd rather have no breaks and get paid for a full 8/9 hours of work than miss out on 30 mins of pay.

Leaving company due to lack of corporate sincerity.

Shift Lead/Co Manager (Current Employee)

ProsOther than the decent benefits and six paid holidays which are double time this company has no pros.

ConsSenior regional management has seriously lost touch with being out in the field. Complains about maintenance costs and limiting amount spent on repairs then complains about equipment not functioning properly. Does not allow us to alter or reduce orders for product on sales floor then complains about worrying off out of date product. Is too focused on speedy rewards to the point that they terminate long standing knowledgeable hard working employees due to a low scan rate. More worried about scan rays and suggestive selling to a point where many customer get fed up with all the questions we are required to ask them during each transaction. Company constantly does what ever it can to ensure employees do not get bonus money. Store level management taken advantage of constantly. Low pay long hours. Stores always improperly staffed I have two jobs Speedway which my store takes in 50, 000 on a good day and only allows for two employees the morning two in the evening and one over night. My second job takes in 4000 a day is open only 18 he's a day and had usually 3 to 5 people there at all times. Speedway has between 1500 and 2000 transactions per day my other job between 100 and 200. I could keep going on but what's the point. My lady performance review was outstanding and said I was ready for promotion but they continue to hire people in off the street at lower pay rates and asks me to train them. When I tried calling in 20 minutes after my grandfather died I was told "you need to come in its not like you are buying him today" this is not the family oriented employee focused company it claims to be. I would never recommend this place as a prospective employer to any one.

Advice to Senior ManagementClose your doors the company is a lost cause.

Shift Lead

Shift Lead (Former Employee)

ProsPromote from within
    Raises every year
    Bonuses
    Most staff members are great
    On site training
    Schedules according to performance

ConsRude customers
    No vacation unless full time and hard to get a full time position
    If an employee calls off or quits it is the shift leads responsibility to cover hours because the CSRs are mostly young children right out of high school who don't want to work
    If you don't pass FIMS or REA you don't get bonuses
    Management comes down hard on you for not reaching company goal for Speedy Rewards Program
    They say they care about their employees but rarely show it
    Corporate forgot how it is to work in the store so they pile on tasks making it hard to complete ECE worksheet with limited staff
    If the recruiter does not like store manager be ready to have some crappy employees in your store because they will send you the bottom of the list
    If your store does not do well, corporate puts you at the bottom of the list.
    Rarely see District Manager who is supposed to help you get store in shape for inspections
    Hours are inconsistent
    No limit to how many hours worked in a day, so get sleep when you can (worked twenty hours in a 24 hour period with a 4 hour gap in between shifts)
    Change their minds quickly about what they want you to do
    Managers get paid ridiculous amounts in bonuses while others are barely making minimum wage

Advice to Senior ManagementPAY MORE!!!!!!
    Listen to employees
    Hire more per store!
    If you treat them like crap they are more then likely going to leave
    Quit having favoritism. It's not fair to the rest of your employees who bust butt to get stuff done without a "thank you" or "nice job" to help you pass inspections because you can't do it alone.
    Quit blaming CSR, Shift Lead, and your Co-manager for not passing inspections when we are lead by example.

I thought it would be a stepping stone to further my career, but I ended up being the stepped on stone.

Co-Manager (Former Employee) Riverview, MI

ProsDecent Benefits, Education Reimbursement, Yearly Raises, Bonus Programs

ConsYou don't actually get formal training although the company thinks you do. Overworked management 50+ hours per week doesn't have time to train and you pretty much throws you into it. Human Resources does nothing for employees in any position, and although I called to complain about my management (3 times) I was fired 5 days later with HR never returning my calls. A valid customer complaint was "deleted" because of friendship between ranks, terribly political ... trust no one!! Power hungry management controls stores and if they break rules ... well they are obviously allowed just because they can. You have to work your butt off but the DM/RM's personal friends don't have to and get to leave stores for personal business while being paid on company time, sounds fair right? Corporate headquarters in Enon, OH. also supports all district managers decisions (and believes them no matter what), write everything down and you'll surely need evidence for any wrong doing management is responsible for.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook more into your managers, district managers, and regional managers, they also lie. They are more than likely your problem not the lesser employees they blame it on.

Great place to learn customer service

ProsInteractions with as many as 1500 customers per week. This makes for plenty of opportunity to hone your customer service skills. CSRs can have flexible schedules to work around school, family or other employment opportunities. Hours and advancement are, for the most part, awarded based on merit.

ConsA crap shoot as to how good the manager is. They will give anybody that is willing an opportunity to fail as a manager. They give lip service to the "managers work for their employees" ideal, but management training does not emphasize how to treat employees. Most managers are petty tyrants wielding their authority indiscriminately. Some, however, are good competent leaders that care.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus management training on how to manage from a position of strength, rather than from a position of authority. Consider giving employees set breaks. It shows that you care.

Worked for Speedway LLC? Contribute to the Community!