Speedway LLC Reviews

Reset
3.1
Speedway LLC President Tony Kenney
Tony Kenney

Pros
  • Fast paced and rarely not busy so it's not boring (in 17 reviews)

• Many opportunities for advancement (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Long work hours for managers with no lunch and no breaks ever (in 38 reviews)

• at times long hours, 24hr stores (in 20 reviews)

1. Fun place, if you work with the right people

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at Speedway LLC part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It's easy. Anyone who says it's challenging is wrong.

Cons

Customers can be rude, and sometimes mean.

Well organized and profitable company. Very adamant that they care about employees but don't show it at all.

Current Employee - Shift Leader in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at Speedway LLC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you're at a good store with good coworkers and good management, this can be a fun, wonderful job. Co-Manager and up get decent pay. Always opportunity for quick advancement, especially since they bought Hess. If you're "relocatable", you will go far. Great potential bonuses.

Cons

Promotion based on how well the DM likes you rather than competency. High turnover due to low pay and incessant corporate pressure to work harder. Corporate constantly says that they value employees, but treat them like tools and have no trust, e.g. most cameras are pointed at employee areas. Above Cashier, they move you constantly from store to store. Very strict and binding corporate protocols that do the managing for in-store managers, turning them into babysitters. Any communications to employees from corporate come off as propoganda (You Are Speedway, etc.). No communication to/from upper managers besides surprise inspections and scoldings.
    Oh yeah, and if you get robbed, you pretty much get fired.

Advice to Management

Give some ownership and decisions back to the store managers. It will give them the ability to make their stores successful, and make them managers again instead of glorified cashiers.
    Pay at least a competitive rate to retain employees. Stop with the propoganda stuff.
    Discipline managers that do blatantly and obviously immoral things, like trick a cashier into a "no call-no show" automatic dismissal.

Quick Hiring, Quick Disappointments

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative/Cashier in Grand Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative/Cashier in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at Speedway LLC part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people you meet. I love the variety of customers I meet daily. You get to know certain regulars.

Cons

When I started I had three different people training me. Each person told me different ways to do everything. By the second week I was on my own without a clue on the proper way to do things. I had to learn everything by trial and error, which is not an effective way to run a company. Management constantly talked down to me - everything I did was wrong or wasn't enough. Whenever I did finish what they wanted they would purposefully find something they had never told me to do and yell at me for not doing it. They even did this in front of customers. I would be called in at unscheduled hours, or made to stay late often. If I requested a day off or called in sick, they would cut my hours for the next week on the schedule. For minimum wage, it's not worth the stress.

Advice to Management

Train your employees properly when they start. Do not berate them constantly, it only brings down morale. No one wants to improve their work when all they get for it is yelled at.

Great HR internship experience, but unstructured and unorganized

Former Intern - Human Resources Intern in Grand Rapids, MI
    Former Intern - Human Resources Intern in Grand Rapids, MI

I worked at Speedway LLC as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Gain experience in the field, develop an understanding of recruiting for employees in a retail environment. Ability to experience all the different aspects of Human Resources. Experience all different aspects of the company, travel to stores so not always being in the office was a plus. Loved being able to interview and be involved in the staffing process from start to finish. Well-paid internship.

Cons

Program was unstructured and unorganized, often felt like I had to "beg" for things to do and was being underutilized.

Advice to Management

Work to create better structure for the HR internship position, consider structuring program similar to the operations program, including intern spending time on-site at the stores.

6. could be worse

Current Employee - Shift Leader in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at Speedway LLC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

regular customers are great co-workers at my store are ok.
    BCBS is great insurance

Cons

DM hires friends to put in stores feels like job is in trouble all the time
    better pay would be great
    more hours as well

Advice to Management

shouldn't hire all the managers if you don't have stores for them. better pay for those who have to travel 50 miles one way just to keep a position. almost not worth being in management by the time you pay for the gas every week.

7. It's a paycheck...but expect to be overworked to exhaustion to get it.

I have been working at Speedway LLC

Pros

-Great benefits for the type of job
    -Easy to get hired (if you're willing to start at the bottom)
    -Convenient (with stores all over, it's easy to get a job at one very close to home)
    -Weekly Pay

Cons

-Minimum wage
    -Long hours, NO BREAKS. At all. Ever. By then end of a long shift, your feet will feel like they are going to fall off.
    -Way too heavy of a workload for number of employees working. Especially for third-shift, when you are working alone. Easily expect to not stop moving/running around the store like crazy for 8 hours and still not come close to finishing everything. This leads to employees taking a lot of short cuts and making it look like everything got done, just to avoid getting yelled at for helping customers in a very busy store.

Advice to Management

-Hire more employees. Put extra people on each shift, especially third, so that everything can get done, and get done correctly, and maybe even let employees have a break or two so that they are more productive and happy.

8. Great Potential, Poor Follow Up

Current Employee - Shift Leader I, Shift Leader II, Customer Service Representative in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at Speedway LLC

Pros

Great Healthcare for FT
    Tuition Assistance
    Loyal Customer and Friendships
    Co-worker bonding
    Pension Plan for FT
    Great Ideas

Cons

Poor follow-up after training
    Safety Issues/ 3rd Shift esp.
    No follow up after violent crimes
    No training with disgruntled customers

Advice to Management

Look at safety issues for 3rd shifters. Follow-up after training. Get reviews of managers from employees, especially high turnover stores.

RSS Feed </> Embed