Speedway LLC Reviews

Updated September 18, 2014
2.4

Speedway LLC President Tony Kenney
Tony Kenney

Pros
  • Many opportunities for advancement (in 8 reviews)

• Fast Paced, fun, customer interaction (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Long work hours for managers with no lunch and no breaks ever (in 34 reviews)

• Long hours, bad leadership, too much work with too little help (in 18 reviews)

More Highlights

Easy Work for Decent Pay.

I worked at Speedway LLC

Pros

Easy work, friendly employees, decent pay due to tobacco handling and plenty of opportunities for advancement. Well-rounded experience in CSR.

Cons

Very little training or direction. I was put on night shift alone my fourth day working there, before completing 80% of my training videos. It's easy work, but I was expected quite often by management to do non-obvious tasks that I was never told to do.
    Also, memorizing any tobacco wall sucks, especially a large one like 5033 has. Although it was sort of cool to get to know them all as a smoker. Had no idea there was a Marlboro Skyline.

Put a little more formal effort into training. Develop unity with other managers and shift-leaders. Organize and plan out your store's output so you can keep it well stocked.

I really enjoyed interning at Speedway! I met awesome people, got to network, and made money to help pay for school.

Former Employee - IT Intern  in  Enon, OH
    Former Employee - IT Intern in Enon, OH

I worked at Speedway LLC as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Great People, Care about Employees, higher end of pay spectrum

Cons

Lack of work, lack of guidance, never heard much about ability to move up in the company. It's very possible that being hired on full-time would lead to a rewarding job. In fact, most of the employees that I encountered had good things to say about the company and their jobs. I just didn't get that sense from the work I did.

My experience is specific to the IT side of the business, but it seemed like there was a lack of work for most of the interns and even some of the full- time employees. I don't know if it has to do with the recent acquisition, but if there isn't work to be done, don't bring on an intern just to hopefully get younger blood into the company. Speaking for myself, I am less inclined to want to work for a company if I don't feel like my job will be rewarding/fulfilling.

Over all great place to work.

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative/Cashier  in  Elgin, IL
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative/Cashier in Elgin, IL

I worked at Speedway LLC full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Enjoyed being able to help customers.
    Loved going above and being to assist customers.

Cons

Manager was some what hard to deal with.
    Inappropriate comments.

Check in more.
    Not just with management but with employees.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Speedway has room for growth and exceptional benefits.

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative

I have been working at Speedway LLC part-time

Pros

It is a fast pace work environment and has good opportunity for promotions.

Cons

The policies are very strict and it seems that we ask to many questions during a transaction.

Have more unerstanding for the customer to allow better servicing policies. They sometimes feel harassed or pushed for speedy cards and candy.

Customer service represetative

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative/Cashier  in  Naperville, IL
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative/Cashier in Naperville, IL

I have been working at Speedway LLC full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good benefits, good to start carrier for CSR, Giving good training

Cons

too much to work, less raise,

Listen to Employee

Glad to be gone !

I worked at Speedway LLC full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

People, coworkers, regular customers
    Great benefits

Cons

Constantly pushing speedy card, candy, children miracle network. To much for the customers, they get aggravated by it all. We get written up for not doing it. Not given enough hours to work with, and can not have parttime people work more than 24 hr a week. Even full time are not allowed to be scheduled 40. Make man agent work over their 50+

Corporate micro management needs to stop. More hours given, two people to run a medium store all day Is not enough. It shows in the inspections, yet saves the corporation lots of money on bonuses that way. Must be how they paid for Hess lol. Feel sorry for all those people coming into this.

Experience I'll never forget

Former Employee - Store Manager  in  Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Speedway LLC full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

As a manager you have great insurance benefits. You have the ability to train your people the correct way in business management and customer service. You only work one weekend a month.

Cons

The company does not care about it's employees. Management is salaried at 50 hrs, but always end up working 65-70 hrs a week. They do not hire reliable people. They do not give proper operating hours to managers and the managers have to work the hours not covered, (mandatory). You are also required to meet all unreasonable sales goals in order to receive your bonus and pass all inspections. Each year the bonus potential is made more difficult, they do not pay the managers enough for what they do and do not respect their managers, very unethical.

Care about the people who are on the front line every day. Actually listen to your managers concerns. DO NOT allow your District Managers to degrade, humiliate and disrespect your store management team. Human Recourse is supposed to be about protecting the employee when issues occur. Employee's who contact H.R. with serious issues, should not be labeled just because they do not agree with or like what is being said. All issues brought before them should be looked at seriously WITHOUT repercusions to the employee. Open door policy???

company does not care about you/turnover rate too high

I have been working at Speedway LLC part-time

Pros

customers
    flexible
    co workers sometimes
    DM micro manage

Cons

pay
    too much work
    no discounts at all

we are people who have lives and we need better pay to take care of ourselves

Taught me a lot to carry along with me when I moved on...

Current Employee - Shift Leader
    Current Employee - Shift Leader

I have been working at Speedway LLC full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Easy to move up quickly into a management position and health benefits are quite decent and affordable. If you get lucky and get in with the right General Store Manager, unlike me, then it's really not that bad of a place to work. IT'S A JOB nowadays...

Cons

There are NO set schedules! So if you have kids that play sports on certain days, that's too bad! I got shafted with my General Store Manager, who did ABSOLUTELY NOTHING and she used me as her scape goat and EVERYTHING, BAD, ALWAYS fell onto me. If you're not a General Store Manager then DO NOT expect weekends off except one Saturday a month, if you're lucky. Work and home balance...PFFTT! There is none! They expect you to ALWAYS put work before anything else so if you have kids don't expect a relationship with them, or anybody at that...Only reason I stayed so long was for the insurance...

Take the to listen to ALL your employees and take their opinions and concerns into consideration as well instead of just your District Managers who only hear what their General Store Managers are saying. Also, micromanaging is a problem! Especially when the one who's doing it doesn't know how to do their own job!

A good business with bad practices

Former Employee - Co-Manager  in  Mentor, OH
    Former Employee - Co-Manager in Mentor, OH

I worked at Speedway LLC full-time for more than a year

Pros

The training program is pretty through and lengthy but it puts you in a good position off the training block. There are bonuses and incentives.

Cons

Higher ups are making it harder for people at the bottom to have any reason for wanting to stay. Corporate culture is all people know and the atmosphere describes the managers whether its good or bad. Goals are unattainable and time off policies are terrible

Work to realize you are losing people. You may have the acquisition to expand but will it reap the benefits so everyone wins. Us on the lower end or overworked and underpaid and the customers can see that because we don't put a face up for them.

Worked for Speedway LLC? Contribute to the Community!