Speedway LLC

Updated November 20, 2014
2.6

Speedway LLC President Tony Kenney
Tony Kenney

Pros
  • Many opportunities for advancement (in 9 reviews)

• Fast paced and rarely not busy so it's not boring (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Long work hours for managers with no lunch and no breaks ever (in 38 reviews)

• Long hours, bad leadership, too much work with too little help (in 19 reviews)

More Highlights

There are better places to work.

Former Employee - Shift Leader II in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Shift Leader II in Detroit, MI

I worked at Speedway LLC full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Some customers are very understanding of public behaviors and can be appreciative and pleasant to help.

Cons

Tired of the constant sexual harassment from customers, being the scapegoat for managers, and getting $.20 raising for being listed as an outstanding employee on my reviews. Managers have been in their positions for 25+ years without professional development and little to no understanding of value systems. Diversity exists only as a theory in this company climate.

Work-life balance is a joke; had 4 weeks of vacation I could never take. Lack of morale and the understanding it has on companies bottom line. Employees are grossly over-worked and underpaid.

Opportunities for growth

Former Employee - District Manager Trainee LPP in Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - District Manager Trainee LPP in Louisville, KY

I worked at Speedway LLC full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Company culture is very good. Speedway does take care of their employees above store level. Very flexible in terms of hours and when you want to accomplish task.

Cons

Store level is very challenging and stressful. Difficult to meet speedway standards and keep employees motivated. High turnover rate.

Decent job once you get the hang of it

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative

I have been working at Speedway LLC part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Weekly pay(great for college kids), regular customers make your shift smoother, decent pay on holiday

Cons

monthly inspections seem impossible during business hours(especially your store is a busy one), not enough people on staff - cook, manager and 1 csr isn't enough, upselling bonus candy seems to annoy customers-being yelled by angry diabetics doesn't make me feel good :/, benefits of the job aren't detailed- company's website is very vague

1)The monthly inspections are somewhat rigged I think. I say this because inspections always seem to come at the worst timing for your store so you end failing the inspection which means no bonus. Not sure if it's on purpose or not but it's discouraging.

2)The upselling of bonus candy is tricky. I have no problem doing it but it makes me feel like I'm pressuring the customer. If the roles were switched, I wouldn't want that happening to me. Some customers appreciate the fact they can get more points but others get aggravated. You're already asking them a million questions when they come to the register(how are you?, rewards card?, bag? bonus candy?). I've had my fair share of diabetics cursing me out.

Depends on who your manager and DM is.

Current Employee - Shift Leader in West Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Shift Leader in West Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Speedway LLC full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Building relationships with costumers
    Opportunity for advancement
    Co-workers
    Paid weekly
    Bonuses

Cons

Depending on what store you are at management can really suck. You can work your butt off and they will still find something wrong. This is usually the case for bigger stores like Miller Park. Smaller stores appreciate you more and they respect you more.

Don't be so big headed! Communicate with your team and stop talking about them behind their back!

Shift Leader

Former Employee - Shift Leader in Oxford, OH
    Former Employee - Shift Leader in Oxford, OH

I worked at Speedway LLC full-time (less than an year)

Pros

- Very useful experience
    - Customers can be super friendly (really brightens up your day)

Cons

- Very high stress (at my store anyway)
    - Customers will sometimes go off on you for stupid things
    - No official breaks
    - You can't go anywhere to get food. You either bring it with you, or buy it from Speedway.
    - Labor is very tightly controlled to the point that if someone calls off or quits suddenly (happens frequently, the store is basically crippled, unless someone else comes in to cover. I also worked a lot of doubles, because of this.
    - They have never heard of a work-life balance.

No advice. I hope your horrible company dies.

OVERWORKED AND UNDERPAID!

I have been working at Speedway LLC

Pros

My regulars and some of my coworkers made going to work fun.

Cons

They expect WAY too much of their employees. Plus most of the managers play the favorite card, so if u are their favorite u can SLACK OFF!

Stop hiring just ANYONE

Understaffed, ridiculous expectations, stressful

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative/Cashier in Nicholville, NY
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative/Cashier in Nicholville, NY

I worked at Speedway LLC full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Weekly pay. Rare, great customers almost make the job worth it. They can be flexible with your schedule.

Cons

There is a daily check list, called the E.C.E., that needs to be done. Plus they expect ridiculous sale goals. Please don't get mad at the cashiers if they ask you to buy candy or donate to their donation jars. It's part of their job to try to up-sell point of sell items.

I've had people cuss me out for i.d.ing them for cigarettes or alcohol. Customers are also really impatient too, especially since the lines build up really fast when it gets busy. (Remember the E.C.E? How are you realistically supposed to get so much work done and be on the registers during the busier parts of the day?) Most of the time, the store is understaffed. The store constantly had new hires that quit and never showed up after a day or two.

I worked on third shift. There was hardly any time ever for me to take a 5-10 minute break to eat or use the restroom. I even got the flu and barely got 5 days off to rest due to how short staffed the store always was. On the 5th day, I was asked to come back in after midnight since it was a "new" day.

There was bonuses, but they were rarely ever received. This is because a mixture of candy selling goals not being met and the store failing the many, many random inspections. Also, training wasn't exactly long enough to understand a lot of what was expected.

So, in short, re-think before applying to here.

Offer better incentives to keep employees longer, don't pressure with such high goals. Show more understanding to employees. Don't yell and threaten them for not always reaching sales goal if they completed most of the daily tasks, and vice-versa. Give more, in-depth training. Donations should not have a "goal".

Easy Work for Decent Pay.

I worked at Speedway LLC

Pros

Easy work, friendly employees, decent pay due to tobacco handling and plenty of opportunities for advancement. Well-rounded experience in CSR.

Cons

Very little training or direction. I was put on night shift alone my fourth day working there, before completing 80% of my training videos. It's easy work, but I was expected quite often by management to do non-obvious tasks that I was never told to do.
    Also, memorizing any tobacco wall sucks, especially a large one like 5033 has. Although it was sort of cool to get to know them all as a smoker. Had no idea there was a Marlboro Skyline.

Put a little more formal effort into training. Develop unity with other managers and shift-leaders. Organize and plan out your store's output so you can keep it well stocked.

I really enjoyed interning at Speedway! I met awesome people, got to network, and made money to help pay for school.

Former Employee - IT Intern in Enon, OH
    Former Employee - IT Intern in Enon, OH

I worked at Speedway LLC as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Great People, Care about Employees, higher end of pay spectrum

Cons

Lack of work, lack of guidance, never heard much about ability to move up in the company. It's very possible that being hired on full-time would lead to a rewarding job. In fact, most of the employees that I encountered had good things to say about the company and their jobs. I just didn't get that sense from the work I did.

My experience is specific to the IT side of the business, but it seemed like there was a lack of work for most of the interns and even some of the full- time employees. I don't know if it has to do with the recent acquisition, but if there isn't work to be done, don't bring on an intern just to hopefully get younger blood into the company. Speaking for myself, I am less inclined to want to work for a company if I don't feel like my job will be rewarding/fulfilling.

Over all great place to work.

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative/Cashier in Elgin, IL
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative/Cashier in Elgin, IL

I worked at Speedway LLC full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Enjoyed being able to help customers.
    Loved going above and being to assist customers.

Cons

Manager was some what hard to deal with.
    Inappropriate comments.

Check in more.
    Not just with management but with employees.

Speedway LLC Photos