Spelman College

Beverly D. Tatum

Great working environment

Current Employee - Research Assistant in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Research Assistant in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Spelman College as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Laid back atmosphere, somewhat challenging job with excellent benefits. Got a cost of living increase six months into a year long contract position. Colleagues generally very friendly and cooperative. As an employee, you have access to the campus fitness center and personal training. You can also take one class per semester. I'm impressed on how well the employees are treated.

Cons

May be difficult in getting certain tasks done due to red tape

Working for this institution was phenomenal.

I have been working at Spelman College

Pros

Being able to have exposure to the events, personal development and assisting the students was very rewarding.

Cons

There are some individuals that work for the College that lack integrity and it effects the staff and students. Much of this is due to those in higher positions not being comfortable with holding directors accountable for their actions.

Riddle yourselves with integrity and treat everyone with respect, no matter their complexion, educational background and socioeconomic status. There are students that are aware and they in turn will feel this is what life is about.

Spelman College Going Downhill

I worked at Spelman College full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You will have great experiences meeting intellectuals and celebrities. The campus environment is wonderful. The staff is hard working.

Cons

Spelman is a closed nit society. In order to fit in you have to kiss or be far up administrations behind or at least look the part. Folks are so obsessed with what you wear as an assessment of your status or intellect. If you are not well-dressed or fit into their high society attributes you are are listed as an outcast and not spoken to. They have folks in administration that have been getting over for years without much work or effort, but they are well rewarded and excel in positions for all the wrong reasons. There are folks in administration that live off of the hard work of people in subordinate positions, but are never recognized.

Dr. Tatum is retiring. Please let her take her lousy administration with her from top to bottom and get new people in to help Spelman excel! Her team is worthless and does not keep great employees. Little known fact--Spelman has been a revolving door for years!

Great place, great benefits

Current Employee - Lecturer in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Lecturer in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Spelman College full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits fair. Small community. Friendly people. I enjoy working here.

Cons

Crime in the area and some bickering.

Better salaries.

It felt like I was the outcast in a sorority. And being an adjunct Professor, I was never a pledge

Former Employee - Adjunct Instructor in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Adjunct Instructor in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Spelman College part-time (more than a year)

Pros

The students are great, the message is great, the motto is great. the leadership has great vision, but I never understood how it would be implemented.

Cons

Administration needs to be updated, half of their jobs could be replaced by technology. Also, it functions like a feudal society. I had to "bow down" and schmooze to get people to do their job. Also, there is no transparency with the budget or even with employee evaluations. My contract wasn't renewed, and they said it was because the provost decided not to rehire me or the budget didn't allow. When the truth was I was too forward with the fact that I knew I could host a summer program in an empty room and was vocal when administration was slow with paperwork.

Young people with vision are needed, and doing things. Stop pushing these girls to go to graduate school blindly and allow them to cultivate who they are independently.

Great experience working for Spelman College. Would recommend this job to any one.

Former Employee - Spelman College Gym Monitor in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Spelman College Gym Monitor in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Spelman College part-time (more than a year)

Pros

-Great customer service
    -Hard workers
    -Reliable staff

Cons

-Couldn't work there longer! It was such a great job there really weren't any cons

School rich in tradition - administration antiquated, unyielding, outdated.

I have been working at Spelman College

Pros

Incredible faculty. Faculty passionate about what they do and reaching their students.

Cons

There are Directors and Managers who have received negative written reviews for years from miserable employees and are kept around because of cronyism/politics.

Wake up! Rotate Directors, encourage faculty and staff feedback and act like you care about more than collecting your paycheck.

Bridge to no where

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Spelman College full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Interacting with students and student centered programs

Cons

No growth, Low pay, High drama

Promote within, create a mentoring program for employees that are interested in management/supervisory positions and actually grow them. Do not take their ideas and disguise them as your own and reward yourself. Get rid of your messy employees, so that the dedicated ones can do their job.

Student Worker

Current Employee - Student Worker in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Student Worker in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Spelman College part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Working at Spelman could probably be a hassle. Fortunately, my boss is excellent and deals with a lot of the office politics so that we don't have to.

Cons

Spelman, like a lot of other colleges I'm sure, is not very efficient. There is a lot of politics and favoritism. And a lot of elitism. However, if you find the right people, most anything can be rectified.

Stop issuing edicts from high places and actually see what works for the people out on the front line.

anonymous

Former Employee - Anonymous in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Spelman College full-time (more than a year)

Pros

* Generally tries to keep moral high with great activities throughout the year.

* Beautiful campus and honor to work for historic HBCU

* Great benefits

* Small IT group 30 people. Great for building some great relationships.

Cons

* No vision for dept. and called in consultants to help shape units vision.

* Lack of understanding of latest technologies and the school is well behind other universities in serving its students. For, example students made a youtube video rap complaining about how slow the schools network is. No student workers in IT to assist in development. The IT department has no identity and students don't know it's purpose or value to the university. This is especially demoralizing to a web developer as one of its main purpose is to portray that identity to stakeholders.

* Power struggles and politics. The IT department and Web team are separate. The web team is under communications dept. The spelman main website is the worst site I have ever seen for a prestigious university. Note this is NOT due to employees but, leadership and lack vision. Leadership is too busy cat fighting to realize that the student who pay their salary see them as incompetent. So please note that the web developer in MIT will always be at odds with web developers in communications. You will frequently get emails from communications leadership challenging you and calling for meetings.

* No development or service oriented methodologies in place. The ticketing system was great but, useless as the rules IT had in place were not adhered to. One call or email to leadership and IT staff had to drop everything to meet that need no matter its importance.

* Project management is non existent. I managed my own projects and we had no one to go to bat for us when staff asked for non production or non emergency changes.

* A lot of work for little pay.

Bottom line is if you are a seasoned web developer this is not the place for you as no one in leadership understands the importance of the web or social media. I definitely would not recomend this position to a young developer due to zero training and politics.

I choose to move on for a better challenge and a better fit.

Inside tips:

1. They lowered the salary for this position after I left.
    2. You will be one of only 3 real object oriented programmers at the university. Stay hidden.
    3. If you have Java/J2EE fundamentals don't waist your time.
    4. The position asks for 5 years of exp. If you are a seasoned web developer you are wasting your time at the new lowered salary.

Spelman needs younger leadership in IT and a vision to serve its students and not just faculty. The IT department has no identity and as a web developer one primary duty is to help convey that identity to stakeholders. The economy is tough and the Spelman name can only take the school so far. If students don't see the value they will go elsewhere.