Spencer Gifts

Spencer Gifts Reviews

Updated Jul 8, 2014

Spencer Gifts President and CEO Steven Silverstein

Steven Silverstein

Pros:
  • "Chill dress code allows for you to look like you at work, making for a more comfortable work-day"
    in 29 reviews
  • "Easy, sometimes fun, interesting people work there, no dress code, employee discounts"
    in 12 reviews
Cons:
  • "Horrible communication between staff & upper management"
    in 15 reviews
  • "Sales Associates get hosed even worse, only getting about 8 per week at minimum wage"
    in 14 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

I loved working here!

Store Associate (Former Employee)
    Dublin, OH

Prosvery fun, easy to train, no uniform requirements

Consstressful when busy, not very organized store

The lesser of two evils

ProsCan be yourself, fun to work, great co-workers

Consnot enough pay and the hours are not that great.

Good company to move up in

Cashier (Current Employee)
    Arlington, TX

ProsIf you are honest and show up as directed, it is pretty easy to get promoted.

ConsWork with a lot of people that do drugs and brag about drinking.

Advice to Senior ManagementHonestly, the employees are what you would expect.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

We can scream and no one would listen.

Store Manager (Current Employee)
    Denver, CO

ProsBarely a dress code, ok benefits, close relationships with coworkers. Fun environment with crazy products.

ConsLow pay with ever increasing expectations. New training program that doesn't allow for internal promotion without 6 months of worthless courses. 6 months during which the store manager works 12 hour shifts open to close to cover for no promotable employees. Every manager hates it, has been vocal and has gotten nothing but resentful comments. The work loads in addition to corporate visits leaves training on an already full back burner.
    Expect to catch shoplifters constantly and also deter. Two unclear goals. Raised bench marks for raises so high that even new stores can't reach them.
    Managers are consistently threatened with their jobs due to any shrink higher than 1% and yet shipments come in weekly missing merchandise. When questioned we are told to shut up!

Advice to Senior ManagementThe process is broken as far as shipping shirts. Training is broken and refuses to view it's break.
    My advice- listen to your soldiers on the front line ie managers

Disrespected and talked down to by upper Management.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsNo dress code, discount, good co-workers. Special discount prices once a month. Benefits are decent also. Other than that, not much.

ConsUpper Management is allowed to speak to people like trash. Too many task and be expected to watch for shoplifters in a dark store filled with blind spots. If you are looking for a job that robs self esteem this is it!

Advice to Senior ManagementTrain DM to show respect for others! Raise pay rates and get rid of the drop down that blocks the view to entrance.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Stressful work place

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsBenefits are good if you are in management, could allow sales team to work more than 10 hours.

ConsUpper management has no idea about what it takes at a store level. Stressful, micro managed and treated like we are not important.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat employee's right and they will work harder,pay more, you get a better result.....

Enjoyed my time but could have been better.

Home Office Employee (Former Employee)
    Egg Harbor Township, NJ

Pros- Coworkers made each day better.
    - Hours weren't a problem.
    - Casual office atmosphere.
    - Office remodel was nice.
    - Good job to get your feet wet, but don't stay too long.

Cons- Salary, salary, salary!
    - Spencer's may be the main company but Spirit is the obvious favorite within the office.
    - Age disconnect between senior management and younger employees makes communicating ideas for change very difficult.
    - Office is comfortable but too modern for what the company actually stands for and sells.
    - No change from year to year.
    - Goals = Pain
    - Lots of turnover...because of low salary and no potential to grow within the company. At all.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart rehiring positions after people leave them or are fired. Too much work is handed down with no pay increase or chance of promotion. It really kills your morale and leaves you feeling used and under appreciated.

Fun place, high stress

Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee)
    Staten Island, NY

ProsGood work/life balance, Fun employees, interesting conversations, benefits for management, understanding management, and good HR

ConsBig emphasis on watching customers to see if they're stealing. Low pay for really hard work. Lots of rude and wild teenagers who clog up foot traffic and you often have to ask them to leave.

Advice to Senior ManagementOffer more pay to assistant managers and sales supervisors, they're asked too much for only $10-12 an hour.

Very Good learning experience

Intern (Current Employee)
    Egg Harbor Township, NJ

ProsVery laid back dress code, very open door environment between employees, management, and C-level executives

ConsOn the lower end of the pay scale as far as intern average pay goes.

Awesome environment

ProsPeople, people and people... Great work experience for all levels of Management and our Party host. If you want a career Spencer's is the place to be. One of the few companies who believe in succession planning. Great bonus potential.

ConsLimited cons... Increase bonus potential for store managers.

Worked for Spencer Gifts? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Spencer Gifts reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Spencer Gifts CEO Steven Silverstein. All 148 reviews posted anonymously by Spencer Gifts employees.