Spencer Gifts

Updated November 20, 2014
2.7

Spencer Gifts President and CEO Steven Silverstein
Steven Silverstein

Pros
  • Minimal dress code, can wear costumes all October, nothing else really comes to mind (in 38 reviews)

• Extremely laid back, a lot of fun, out of the ordinary store to work at (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Very low pay (the money definitely doesn't keep me around, thank goodness for those pros (in 20 reviews)

• can be yours for the low cost of minimum wage at 8-12 hours a week (and your eternal soul) (in 19 reviews)

More Highlights

Fun enviroment

Current Employee - Store Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Spencer Gifts full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Loyal customers, fun environment, cool products. Easy and good communication with upper management.

Cons

Micro managed at times and schedule was fixed for store managers with very little flexibility. Pay is very low so there was a high turn around for supervisors and associates

The best place to work at by far!

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Miami, FL

I worked at Spencer Gifts full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Fun ��, Always something too do, Happy people,pay is good if you are in management tho. Discounts are good.

Cons

Associated should get paid a little more, discounts should be a little more different.

Keep up the great work!

It's a retail job - what do you expect?

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Spencer Gifts part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Casual dress code
    Fun environment
    Good employee discount
    Great coworkers

Cons

There is paperwork for everything and reports constantly, however corporate gets upset when customers are not attended to - can't do both! Shipment comes completely unorganized and there is a complete lack of hours to do this and other intensive tasks. Often one or two employees are expected to rework floor models/process shipment while also watching and attending to customers. On that note, the store is cramped and there is no REAL security system so shoplifting is an almost daily occurrence and employees are reprimanded for high shrink, but corporate does nothing to help like investing in security tags that BEEP or REAL cameras. Constantly trying to shadow groups of rowdy teenagers in the "love" and gag gifts sections - again while also trying to keep an eye on other customers. Corporate has HORRIBLE communication with the stores, DM only knows how to criticise, store manager always has an excuse to be in the back room instead of on the floor. Also watch out for SECRET SHOPPERS that lie on their reports. Trying to get a promotion after working for over 1.5 years is like pulling teeth. Always on-call even on requested vacation days and manager tries to guilt us into never taking time off. Pay is terrible. This is a first-time retail job for teens and young adults, NOT a career.

VALUE YOUR EMPLOYEES. We are not machines - we're people too!!!!!! Consider better pay and better treatment of employees and you may see your sales improve. Happier employees = happier customers. Also, trust your managers, and tone down the paperwork so we can focus on customer service.

OutStanding

I have been working at Spencer Gifts full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great place to work, very successful company

Cons

Always more to do than you can get done.

Great to learn and move up quick

Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Spencer Gifts full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

benefits, vacation time, sick time, quick growth

Cons

underpaid, corporate is never on the same page, miscommunication

revolving door

Inverted Pyramid Scheme

Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Spencer Gifts full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

No dress code.
    Health benefits (salaried employees)
    Vacation and sick time (salaried employees)
    Ability to request music to be played on the radio in the store.
    Good seasonal job for associates during Holidays.
    Discount.

Cons

Minimal opportunity for raises.
    Claims to pay similar wages as competing companies such as Hot Topic. The data on this website shows otherwise.
    Succession planning program for management is a joke. It has strict guidelines for promoting people, yet when in an emergency situation, people are promoted without being put through the program at all.
    High turnover due to low wages and limited hours for associates and junior management.
    Discouraged (but not prevented) from hiring individuals under the age of 18+ and yet expects to find applicants willing to work for minimum wage with barely any hours yet remain very flexible with their schedule.
    Strict mandatory schedules many weeks out of the year. (lots of blackout dates for vacation)
    Low payroll and not enough coverage to meet workload demands. (when reaching out, no support on this)
    Upper management expects quick responses to emails yet does not do so in return.
    Poor communication with upper management. Not supportive when reaching out for help.
    Unprofessional upper management. Inappropriate comments about peers.
    Limited to no recognition for achievements.
    Company does not offer overtime pay for salaried managers and are not paid for meal breaks.
    Poor company inventory management.
    Employees are not trusted by the company. Employees must bring belongings in a clear or mesh bag only. Employees must empty contents of pockets and lift pant legs each time when leaving the store at the front entrance.
    A lot of time is spent babysitting large groups of teenagers or young children causing disturbances in the adult novelty section of the store while understaffed.
    Company is always late on trends and keeps buying items that are no longer in style yet claim to be a trendy company.
    Always afraid to complete surveys that claim to be anonymous with the fear of retaliation.
    No dress code yet mandatory participation in wearing promotional t-shirts for all staff yet will not accommodate individuals who do not fit the size spread thus excluding them.
    Was told would have opportunities for advancement, no follow-up.
    Very little work/life balance. Literally on call all the time, even receiving follow-up phone calls for issues from HR while on vacation.
    Some corporate individuals come across as bullies and do not offer positive feedback.
    Asked for raise based on achievements and facts and was denied with no response or follow-up on how to improve and obtain the increase. Was offered raise upon resignation...

Invest in your people. You claim to want to be on the list of "the best companies to work for." Start listening to people. Start treating your employees better. Start offering higher pay. Stop comparing your offered wages to competing companies and actually do better. Listen to your employees when they reach out for support. Stop claiming to be very disappointed in stores who are positive in sales YTD and performing well in other areas. Actually give praise when due. Corporate members should shake hands with the store manager after a store visit when the offer is extended...

Disconnection

I have been working at Spencer Gifts part-time (less than an year)

Pros

For the most part is enjoyed working in the store and like the people I worked with (with one or two exceptions). The atmosphere is fairly fun and the products are often good for a chuckle.

Cons

There is a huge disconnect between corporate and the actual stores. They have a nasty habit of wanting to micro manage how the sales associates work and they don't want you to go to far off what they say is the right way of doing things. The problem is that the "right way" is often time guerrilla tactics and is unwelcoming as a shopper. It really breaks the illusion of being casual when every single time you talk to a customer you have to push a sale pr product on them even if they have already shown disinterest. There are also a lot of things round the store and to do with shipment that seems really backwards (like the fact that we have to refold every single t-shirt we get it so they are done properly since the way they are folded for shipment is a bout a half inch off from how it comes out when we do it). Also, for a company that worries so much about shrink, they might want to consider getting a real security system other than just putting ink tags on shirts and dummy tags on everything else.

Stop trying to micro manage so much. It really makes it feel forced and awkward when the associates can't be natural with customers and instead have to jam sales and products down their throats. Also, invest it getting real security systems for your store. Maybe also pair down what kind of products the store carries, there is to much and it makes it overwhelming for customers and it makes the store itself a mess and hard to keep up with. There was a time that Spencers was a gag and novelty shop, maybe get back to that instead of trying to chase on Hot Topics heels but being about 3 months to late for every trend. Also, COMMUNICATE WITH THE STORES! Don't just tell them what to do, get feed back from them and actually listen to it. Also, real bonuses for contest wins, not gift cards to your own store. We don't want to buy she same stuff we are constantly handling day in and day out. give us real money that we can use for food or gas. It's bad enough sales associates only get minimum wadge.

Manager

Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Spencer Gifts full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I liked the people I worked with, but then again, I hired them. I was originally hired as a training manager, then was put in as an assistant for a traveling manger. Meaning, I got to do the job without the pay. This lasted for almost a year until I was put into the position I was originally hired for.

Cons

The DM was rude, NO work-life balance, poor pay, almost no bonus incentive. Hated seeing most employees only make minimum wage, they deserved so much more! Searched when leaving the store (on your own time-but we were prohibited from eating in the backroom so lunches were pointless).

Stop thinking you're going to get something for nothing.

fun, exciting, and rewarding. was able to move up quickly.

Former Employee - Store Manager in Trumbull, CT
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Trumbull, CT

I worked at Spencer Gifts full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The employees, benefits, working with the guests, culture

Cons

leadership, they started to micromanage, the pay is low, business is slower, communication is poor

stop micromanaging

Store manager

Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Spencer Gifts full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Atmosphere, music, and don't have to cover tattoos or piercings. I love my coworkers

Cons

Very low pay and not enough payroll to sufficiently cover sales floor. The majority of the customers are rude. The company expects you to be the main role in loss prevention yet supplies nothing in order for you to control it. Highly micromanaged even down to the payroll. I have worked retail my entire adult life and can say that this is the most challenging. Shipment day can be fun(sarcasm), nothing comes in sorted.

Increase your pay and you will increase employee spirit. Its the old saying "you get what you pay for". Don't be afraid to give more hours for payroll it will not only help your sales in the long run but your loss prevention too. And most of all trust your managers. Too task-oriented yet want you to focus on customer service, I'm sorry but you can't have it both ways.