Spencer Gifts

Updated October 17, 2014
2.8

Spencer Gifts President and CEO Steven Silverstein
Steven Silverstein

Pros
  • Minimal dress code, can wear costumes all October, nothing else really comes to mind (in 37 reviews)

• Extremely laid back, a lot of fun, out of the ordinary store to work at (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Very low pay and not enough payroll to sufficiently cover sales floor (in 20 reviews)

• can be yours for the low cost of minimum wage at 8-12 hours a week (and your eternal soul) (in 19 reviews)

More Highlights

Overly stressful

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Spencer Gifts full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Unrestricted dress code
    Decent product
    Staff becomes close
    I wish I had more to add but after several years even the pros aren't worth it

Cons

High stress for low pay
    Micromanaged
    Never a nice word from anyone above store management
    The expectations and time frames are idiotic at best
    Secret shops often come in filled with discrepancies
    No trust in employees (forced to use clear bags and turn clothing inside out in front of customers which is degrading)
    Management expected to work 44+ hours a week and often do more than that
    Holidays are always understaffed due to not enough payroll
    DSMs do not answer questions in a timely manner, give no support to store management, speak condescending to managers using shaming tactics. When they visit it's always 99 negatives and 1 backhanded compliment. The DSM has caused great employees to leave. Most of the year is black out for vacation unless you're a DSM favorite.
    You're expected to not have your cell phone on the sales floor but are demanded to take pictures to send to the DSM for floor moves.
    Contests are awful. They take no consideration of each individual stores demographic and sales patterns. They over ship low selling product and never restock frequently requested product.
    Store managers are expected to be a one man army against sales, shoplifters, internal theft, contests, schedules, and every project needs to be micromanaged.
    Morale is always low due to low payroll hours and overworked store management. They do not back their own no cash back policy.
    Their inverted pyramid is just a concept but not actually used.
    You're still reprimanded if your ADS and UPT are low but you're sales are up.
    They want low shrink but will not give you the staff to properly cover the store not to mention the layout flaw their D1 stores have with being unable to view the front door from the register where management is often stuck to do entirely too much paperwork. DSMs will scold you that your sales floor is not properly put together and then tell you to do tasks such as spending time on the computer which would take away from fixing up the store.
    Required to be overly pushy with sales yet treat it "like a house party". You don't ask your guest if they want something to drink and then try to jam it down their throat even if they say no.

Rethink your business. Rethink micromanaging. Have RSM and DSMs spend time in the store before being able to be upper management. Rethink layouts.
    Think about what a customer wants when shopping. Think about what a staff can do when properly motivated. No one wants to be hounded. No one wants to be made feel like they're nothing but trash.

Life's a party, we're making it fun!

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Spencer Gifts part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Awesome people to work with, great atmosphere, cool customers, I got to be myself!

Cons

Low pay, no room for promotion, not a whole lot of hours.

Give the employees more room to grow and listen to them when it comes to advertising!

Great Place To Work

Former Employee - Part-time Manager in Wichita, KS
    Former Employee - Part-time Manager in Wichita, KS

I worked at Spencer Gifts part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Spencers offers their employees a fun work atmosphere and freedom of expression, unlike many retail chains. They encourage you to be an individual rather than a corporate clone.

Cons

Their pay for sales associates and lower management is horrible; basically it is a bit over minimum wage for third-key managers.

As a manager it would be important for you to inspire your employees by following the policies you set for your staff.

Fun, but...

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Casper, WY
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Casper, WY

I have been working at Spencer Gifts part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Fun job
    Awesome atmosphere
    Ability to be who you are
    Teamwork

Cons

Wages are low
    Very rarely is there a chance for advancement
    I

District management needs to recognise hard work or anything at all

Overall experience was satisfactory

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Miami, FL

I have been working at Spencer Gifts part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Latest time ou will leave is 40 min. After closing time. Assocoates are fun to work woth because most of them and laid back and like to have a good time.

Cons

Since I worked at the Spencer's at Dolphin Mall, the high velocity qq of people can be over whelming especialy Friday through Sunday. Due to high velocity of people, that also means a lot of shrink. Though my store made a lot of money, more than other Spencer's, we still got paid the same. Min. Wage. All the sales we made go distributed to other SPENCERs that didn't make thier goal yet we still get paid the same.

Make sure if an employee is slacking off, put them in thier place or take action immediately.

Fun place to work at, family-like work relationships

Current Employee - Store Manager in Orland Park, IL
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Orland Park, IL

I have been working at Spencer Gifts full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The company is a great to start out in retail. Plenty of room for growth. Great place to meet new people from not only the staff, but customers as well. Extremely laid back, a lot of fun, out of the ordinary store to work at.

Cons

Store managers don't get paid well for the amount of work that they do and the hours that they are expected to work (minimum 44 a week). Associates (anyone aside from management) do not get annual raises. Payroll budget for most work weeks are extremely hard to work with given the expectations for some of the weeks.

I think turnover rate wouldn't be as high in the company if the store managers were paid a better salary and if sales associates were given at lease some sort of annual raise after being there for at least a year. That's my only advice that I have. other than that I love working for this company and I have no complaints (:

Increasingly micro managed every year

Current Employee - Store Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Spencer Gifts full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fun product, Decent health benefits, Keep your personality and style, Guests who like to have fun.

Cons

Very little freedom, Micro managed even as store manager, Outside life does not matter, no retirement savings opportunities, Regional managers and higher speak down to you, refuse to give stores the human resources needed, does not recognize improvement.

Go back to a few years ago to when you had tightened up company policies but had not become the micromanaged hell that you have become now. Let your store managers have an outside life.

Taking the promotion to management was one of the worst decisions I have made, and there is no chance for a raise as a n

I worked at Spencer Gifts

Pros

Minimal dress code, can wear costumes all October, nothing else really comes to mind.

Cons

Incompetent staff, poor management, horrible hours, consistently understaffed, little care for employees, constant shoplifters, horrible customers, teenagers would hang out in store on weekends.

Don't leave million dollar stores understaffed.

Crooked.

Current Employee - Party Host
    Current Employee - Party Host

I have been working at Spencer Gifts

Pros

About the only perk is 40% streetwise sales which happen one day a month for associates.

Cons

NUMEROUS labor law infractions. In many states, employers are required to provide their employees with a fifteen minute paid break for a four hour shift. At Spencer's you'll get a 10 minute break for every four hours regardless of state law. When the labor code for my state was presented to the general manager, his exact words were "Spencer's policy supersedes state law." Uhm... wrong. You're lucky to get seven of the ten minutes of your break because of mandatory personal possession searches which are performed on YOUR time upon exiting the store.

Next comes the "call in shifts". You're put on the schedule and have to call in an hour ahead of time to see if they need you to come in or not. You're on call and in no way compensated for the inconvenience (another labor law infraction in many states). This makes it nearly impossible to make personal plans.

Any mention of unfair treatment or violation of labor law and your job will be threatened. Management only cares about the job when it affects their personal bottom line. They put unrealistic sales quotas on their associates and throw a fit when quotas aren't met. Customers are pressured into buying products that we know for a fact are defective.

All of this (AND MORE!) can be yours for the low cost of minimum wage at 8-12 hours a week (and your eternal soul).

1.) Your policy NEVER supersedes law.
    2.) Treat your employees with respect and it will be returned to you tenfold.
    3.) Don't ask your employees to do things that you yourself are unwilling to do.

Fun but strained.

I have been working at Spencer Gifts

Pros

Great atmosphere
    Fun customers to talk to
    Interesting people to work with
    25% off discount
    Sense of community with co-workers
    Fun stuff to sale

Cons

Unproffesional management
    Strange customer relations policies
    Low pay with a lot of work.
    Customers always trying to steal

Lead by example. Always
    Don't let your personal life affect how you run your store.
    Positive coaching and feedback will get you farther than taking your anger out on Your hard working employees.
    Be there when and while you are supposed to be there.