Spencer Ogden Reviews

Updated July 8, 2014

3.7

Spencer Ogden Chief Executive Officer David Spencer-Percival
David Spencer-Percival

Consulting with an entrepreneurial business model

Current Employee - Consultant  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Consultant in Houston, TX

I have been working at Spencer Ogden full-time for less than a year

Pros

Before interviewing for this company, I looked on here and noticed that some of the reviews where the same for other companies. I have been here since mid Jan. I have been mentored an molded to a different mind set. Here (in my team) it is about behaviors. The reason why we concentrate on behaviors is because they lead to successful outputs. Along with behaviors, you get to learn how to scale and build a business (your desk/market). You are accountable for a budget and for meeting your KPI's. Though this sounds hard, it REALLY isn't.

You are trained on how to be a consultant in a 2 week program called "The Academy". Here you are taught from the ground up how to do full cycle consulting. After the academy is over, the company takes you and the graduating class out for a night on the town (on their dollar). Money is placed in the bar and you drink for free (be responsible).

The culture here is very young and diverse. There is always something social going on after work so be sure to limit or be able to still work effectively after a night out. When you walk in, you hear a slight roar of young business professionals talking to Major Companies and candidates they are qualifying to place. The dress code here is very strict. Business professional (Everyday). I say this as a pro because when you dress nice (suit and tie) you behave in a manor that is viewed well.

The carpet is turf and there are footballs and other things to play with while on the phone (activeness allows you to think faster).

Everyone greats you very warmly and when a deal is done... we blast that person's song and celebrate the deal together as an office.

By far, this place has been everything I was told it would be. Tough, but rewarding.

Cons

Cons here are the same as any job. If you don't do your job, you will be let go. If you're not used to a very fast pace environment, this may not be the place for you.

Open sales type floor with a lot of background noise that can be distracting or make it hard to hear when doing a call.

Phones cut in and out when there is bad weather.

No paid parking.

Continue to build up and encourage the staff.

Oh What a Difference A Year Makes - out with the old and in with the new!!

Current Employee - Senior Recruitment Consultant  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Recruitment Consultant in Houston, TX

I have been working at Spencer Ogden full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great experience, great skills to be learned. Let's be honest - most people don't go to college and aspire to be a recruiter. That being said this job will prepare you for pretty much every other job you will ever have. Its a young, fun office, with really good people. We get off early on Fridays, have fun nights out or incentives. Good vacation allowance - and all of the current managers really understand the need to take time away.

Cons

There were some huge cons for the last year - which you can see in the past reviews for the company - but that has all changed for the better. A lot of these reviews here on glassdoor can be traced back to 1 particular cause and that issue has been removed from the business and it is a completely different atmosphere.

SO was a very difficult company to work for here in Houston. There was a lot of negativity and the office was in a position where leadership did not have emotional intelligence, nor did the understand the US or Houston and there was a major clash of cultures. Additionally, the policies and incentives and house rule that were established were not what should have been rolled out. With a new Leadership and HR team in place its a really exciting company to work for, and the first time I've felt the excitement others have talked about.

Well done recognizing that there was a major issue with this office and remedying the problem.

Stick to the new mantra and continue to develop, reward and embrace your employees who toughed it out and understand what we are building.

Challenging but Rewarding

Current Employee - Consultant  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Consultant in Houston, TX

I have been working at Spencer Ogden full-time for less than a year

Pros

A young, rapidly growing company in a booming market. Great office location and unique trading floor. Fast paced with high energy, an office unlike any other which creates a strong environment for both team and individual success. The opportunity to control your own desk and your own income with a solid commission structure. Top notch office, team, and individual incentives. Great holiday/vacation time off.

Cons

Lower base salary (not a job for slacking, high income potential, but you earn it)
    Challenging job, must be resilient.
    Parking
    Long and challenging interview process.

Created a great environment/company culture and provide the training and support to help employees become successful.
    Work/Life Balance can always be improved
    Houston office - possible stipend or parking discounts

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Dishonesty All Around

Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Houston, TX

I worked at Spencer Ogden full-time for less than a year

Pros

*Working at Spencer Ogden was a great learning experience. I learned a lot about the Oil and Gas industry as well as the recruitment market.

*We got off early on Friday

Cons

*Rampant Dishonesty - For example, every positive review on this website is written by the same current manager. NOT an employee. Great companies should look to improve their structure and products so that employees and customers give it positive reviews. NOT draft up false reviews to misrepresent itself to the outside world.

*Unethical Business Practices - on numerous occasions, I was instructed by management to either lie or falsely represent myself and/or the company.

*Bad Management - The two directors in the Houston office were successful in the industry but as managers there were aloof and poor at managing teams and motivating individuals.

*Extremely low pay - base pay is $24,000 a year after taxes. You won't make over $60,000 until near the end of your second year.

*Non-existant work/life balance - Expected to work from 7:00am-7:00pm Monday - Thursday. You can forget about working out, seeing friends and family, hobbies, etc. Management will see them as only a distraction.

*Sweatshop - HORRIBLE attrition rates. Everyone in the office is on some form of performance review.

*Continue to hire associate directors who are better at managing/directing teams.

*Stop writing false reviews about the company on glassdoor.

Misleading during hiring process

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at Spencer Ogden full-time for less than a year

Pros

As in any sales company, there is potential to make a lot of money. Hard work paired with luck can lead to a very lucrative position.

As cliche as it sounds, the high tech computers/headsets and office environment are fun.

Cons

I think the biggest con of the company was management living what they preach. One of the managers loves the quote “It’s not the hours you work, but the work you do in the hours.” This is an incredible philosophy, if you stick to it. That is where they fall short. That quote means that as long as you get your work done, you are able to leave whenever. Obviously leaving before the end of the day (5:30 M-TH for SO) is not good practice for a sales job, but SO even frowns upon leaving right at 5:30. They discourage it so much that designed “Structured Lates”, which are essentially days when you have to stay until 8pm. Most self-respecting people will stay late enough to get everything they need to done, but to force people will almost be counterproductive. Heaven forbid you EVER have some sort of appointment with your doctor or the car shop. That’s why they say they let you leave 2 hours early on Friday, to get all of that done.

The other con I have is what they tell you in the interview process. They paint the picture that they have so much business going on that you will get to walk into a warm account to get some commission going at the very beginning, while you build up your cold accounts. They use this perception to negotiate your compensation package. Sales is a hard gig and if they said “hey you are going to come into cold accounts and really have to grind it out to start” then you could be prepared when you negotiate compensation (your “lock” more specifically) and everyone wins. They portray one thing and it turns out to be the complete opposite, which just starts your employment off on the wrong foot.

Be more transparent. I think it all boils down to the old adage “honesty is the best policy”. When recruiting/headhunting people, don’t tell them there is all of this business for them to walk into. That is not the case. The business that is going on is already owned by someone else and they aren’t going to give up their commission to someone else. This will help people more fairly negotiate their compensation. You may lose people before you hire them, but it’s survival of the fittest. Let the weak never start. Also with the structured lates and such. Don’t use that hours you work quote and then mandate those structured lates. If you feel productivity is lacking, then say “hey guys, you all aren't doing enough work and we are going to institute these late nights until things pick back up.” Just be honest in all that you do and I think employee retention will be much higher. The aesthetics of the office wow at the start, but when the visual honeymoon fades, they need substance to stay. BS can get you to the top, but it won’t keep you there.

Great opportunity if you can see the long term potential, Management needs some help

Current Employee - Recruiter  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Recruiter in Houston, TX

I have been working at Spencer Ogden full-time for less than a year

Pros

Here's the thing - Spencer Ogden is doing things different. Different than other recruitment agencies, different than corporate America, different than working for a privately owned 20 man company. Its a start up, but not like a silicon valley, "social network" type start up. Think of it more as dudes from the UK coming over and trying to change the perception of recruitment type of start up.

Yes, we have cool offices. Yes, we get off early on Fridays; but we make up for it by working 30 mins later every day during the week. Yes, you start with more vacation days than is average for the US and you get the week of Christmas off. Yes, its a really hard working environment, mainly because upper management needs to learn how to speak to their employees, what you can and can't say to people and that people here in the states like praise, team work, honesty and integrity.

But its tough, not because of the company, but because of the business of recruitment. You are working with people. Selling a person a job at a company. Sometimes convincing them to leave a job they have been at for years. Emotionally there is a lot involved. People can't talk to you while they are at work, so sometimes you have to speak to them at night. Sometimes people change their mind at the last minute, sometimes your clients don't want to hire someone you think is great for a role. There are tons of ups and downs in this business and you have to be able to see the long term picture.

That all being said I would recommend working at Spencer Ogden to anyone I know - who doesn't expect to be a clock watcher, who doesn't say "I'm on my lunch break, I'll answer your question in 21.34 minutes when lunch is over."

There is a lot of potential here and a lot of good perks and most importantly there are a lot of good people.

Cons

Management is the most difficult part of this job and it is mainly communication issues. I think it is a UK vs US cultural thing. They don't celebrate little victories. They want to know you're entire background and how much stuff you've been through to know you are going to be able to deal with stuff down the line. They are way better at beating you down than building you up.

But it isn't everyone. Some new additions along with the guy who has his name on the door really do care about the business and want to see it succeed. I wish these guys had more say over what happened in the office.

HR has no respect for employees and anything you tell them is immediately relayed to Sr. Management, be careful what conversations you might have during lunch.

Stop sending us emails telling us how many hours we need to be on the phone each day. Stop trying to make deals with every incentive or make them out of reach and therefore not motivational. Open your eyes and realize that the heart and soul of your business aren't the people that are doing the most deals. Empower others to take a leadership role - and not just the attractive or rich kids.

We like working for you, but you have to give us positive feedback sometimes. Its sucks just being told what you need to change.

Say Good Morning when you come into the office and Good Bye when you leave... that sets the tone for everything else that happens in this place. When management sneaks away in an open office it comes across as sneaky and creates that behavior from everyone else.

California has nothing on Houston - realize the opportunity you have in this great city and stop talking about where you want to be next. If management isn't bought in how do you expect other people to be?

PRAISE AND EMPOWER YOUR EMPLOYEES, REALISE WHO YOUR CORE TEAM IS AND DEVELOP THEM!! SMILE, SAY HELLO, and most importantly MAKE AN EFFORT

Great company that rewards employees performance!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Spencer Ogden full-time for more than a year

Pros

I really like working for Spencer Ogden, It drives me to strive and contribute my equal share, be engaged which eventually leads me to be successful. Co-workers are all very intelligent and I learn from them daily. FANTASTIC office environment! Open floor plan gives the ability to engage with co-workers and learn from hearing. $$ Incentives & VIP Trips

Cons

No privacy, set lunch hour

Continue sharing feedback and praise

Consultant

Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Houston, TX

I have been working at Spencer Ogden full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good vacation allowance, fun and supportive co-workers in a funky work environment.

You can sense that the company is going places and it's exciting to be a part of it

Cons

Long office hours and pressure is always there to make a deal but I think that's more a reflection of the recruitmnet industry as a whole

More face to face networking opportunities - There is too much of a focus on phone calls

Embrace the Houston way of working more

You get out of it what you put in

I have been working at Spencer Ogden

Pros

- High salary potential
    - You get out of the job what you put in
    - They allow you to run your own desk with your own clients and essentially build your own buiness
    - Fun work culture, nights out, trips, etc.

Cons

- long hours
    - hard work (the harder you work, the more money you make)

Ensure that you are hiring the right people. This is not a job for the weak or unmotivated. Money motivated people will thrive here if you can find them

It's a different game than the rest of the recruiting in the USA

Former Employee - Consultant  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Consultant in Houston, TX

I worked at Spencer Ogden full-time for less than a year

Pros

You learn some valuable skills that may help you in another setting and that's about it. You get to kick a soccer ball around and play with baseball bats. Not really anything else that's positive here.

Cons

They want you to dedicate your life to them. They start you off at 30,000 salary and will give you a bump in salary to 35000 if you hit your goals in the first three months. Easier said than done. You are expected to get a minimum of 2 hours a day on the phones and just call clients and candidates and hope you stumble across someone that wants to work with you. They are a new company in the USA, huge in the UK, but don't really know how to do business in the United States. Very cut throat environment, you have to guard your work and your progress, because if you are doing good or someone else is, everyone else wants in on what that person has. People complain all the time and have to hide it when me people get hired on, so they don't create a negative side for them to see, so they won't quit right away. High turnover rate. If you are called in for an interview don't believe anything they tell you these people lie for a living.

Learn to do business in the USA properly. Treat your employees with respect, and listen to what they have to say it creates a better work environment.

Worked for Spencer Ogden? Contribute to the Community!