Spencer Stuart

Updated Apr 9, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Kevin M. Connelly

Not sure I would do it again.

Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Spencer Stuart full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThe benefits are terrific and unbeatable. A lot of paid holidays in addition to vacation, 401k, profit sharing, etc. For the most part, you won't find a better group of people- super friendly and helpful.

ConsDifficult to achieve a work/life balance. Deadlines are integral in search but a lot could be avoided if consultants weren't so "panic" stricken or busy running off during the day to attend events for their kids, getting facials, etc. Then they expect you to complete a task no matter how long you have to work to get it done. Dealing with arrogant, egotistical, degrading consultants.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf management took more of an interest in and backed up employees below the Consultant level. Firm has lost many good people because Management is only concerned about keeping consultants happy; even if it means terminating a good employee. There have been a few Managing Directors at the office level who cared about how lower level employees were treated and stood behind them. Now leadership is spineless unless you're a consultant.

Management seems to be in denial OR just plain ignorant to reality, PUT YOUR EMPLOYEES FIRST!!!!!!

I worked at Spencer Stuart full-time

ProsAgree with previous reviews in that the brand is strong; but only to the right audience. Not all clients appreciate the heavy handedness of "we're the best" type attitude.
Global reach and there's some genuine people within the organization that actually put "PEOPLE FIRST"

ConsManagement only concerned about the numbers, no matter what the cost!
People skills amongst the management team and office managing partners is relatively non existent
Spineless when it comes to assisting your colleagues, the term " I need to focus on my client work" seems to come in handy when tough questions are asked.
Disillusioned support teams who are left in the cold when asking for professional development or transparency around compensation.

Advice to Senior ManagementOpen your eyes and confront the issues around churn which is now well over 20 percent!!!!
Whatever happened to "put your employees first"?
Much to the denial of the management team; I have found that there is life after Spencer Stuart!

What has happened since the new CEO has come in???

I worked at Spencer Stuart full-time for more than 5 years

ProsA global brand, which you will only benefit from if you're pulled in to work on the marque searches...
Some good operators who are solid performers, and above all, are sincere and really mean what they say

ConsAgree with previous entry of consultants that are too busy attending "work related" events and then expect unrealistic deadlines to be met no matter what.
Too many consultants that have HUGE egos and poor management skills on how to motivate teams.
Seasoned and junior consultants too busy looking over their shoulders and trying to protect their patch, yet the public story is that of "being collegial" yet the reality is SOOOOO different.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of the CEO who seems to be extremely hierarchical; no grasp of reality in terms of the amount of good people walking out of the door.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great environment and benefits!

Accountant (Former Employee)

I worked at Spencer Stuart full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat benefits and people. The CFO really cares about the employees and if you work hard, you get rewarded. The place is filled with fun employees that make work easier to bear.

ConsThere is no micromanaging so if you need a manager to push you, this isn't the place for you. Also, some of the consultants tend to treat the rest of the employees like they aren't good enough.

Advice to Senior ManagementReward the consultants who are nice to everyone and make more opportunities for growth.

I worked with consultants in the Healthcare Practice, which has helped me enhance my business and communication skills.

Administrative Assistant (Current Employee)

I have been working at Spencer Stuart part-time for more than 3 years

ProsBenefits are great. The culture is friendly and professional. Spencer Stuart is also accommodating to family schedules and personal lifestyles.

ConsAdvancing through the hierarchy can be difficult.

A great place to work. EAs stay an average of 9 years!

Executive Assistant (Current Employee)

I have been working at Spencer Stuart full-time for more than 10 years

ProsBenefits, technology, work space, perks.

ConsUpper management is out of touch with lower level staff.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the support staff, which includes research. They have a lot of knowledge about what really goes on.

Change your management team or end up like the other search firms that are in disarray!!!

I worked at Spencer Stuart

ProsGood brand that wins senior level work
SOME good recruiters who are genuinely interested in furthering the brand and helping those around them
Some real talent behind the scenes

ConsI agree with some of the previous reviews of a toxic atmosphere and culture
Polish the egos and play the political games and you will progress
Management decisions that leave you wondering what motivated the outcomes
Not enough courage and conviction with the senior partners, who are unwilling to make unpopular decisions for fear of losing their own political influence
Big billers allowed to get away with bad behavior and treating colleagues inappropriately.

Lack of qualified genuinely talented consultants within the organization.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement team, open your eyes and address the political minefields that exist across the organization. It is a great shame that these things need to be addressed as there are some great recruiters within the business.
Address the issue of the "old boy network" and the hierarchical mindset that still seems to exist within its most senior ranks which means the rest of the business does not stand a chance!!!

Consultant

Consultant (Current Employee)

I have been working at Spencer Stuart full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGreat culture
industries best client roster
well respected in the industry
the job gives me the autonomy to manage my own work

Conssearch is actually hard work -- but it can be lucrative

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep steering the ship as you have!

Good brand that suffers from a toxic and political atmosphere

I worked at Spencer Stuart full-time

ProsGood reputation in the external market
Some good operators
Autonomous environment

ConsExtremely political
Deals cut under the table for those who abide by the country club rules
Inconsistent treatment of its employees, some get the red carpet treatment, others nickel and dimed
Management decisions and promotions largely politically motivated
Play the silly games and polish egos and you're in!!!!

Advice to Senior ManagementStart being team players at the top and perhaps the rest of the organization stands a chance
Extremely hierarchical, which needs to be fixed

It is a great place to work.

Executive Assistant (Current Employee)
San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Spencer Stuart full-time for more than a year

ProsEveryone is a team player

ConsNot in a location that provides public transportation

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work ,

Worked for Spencer Stuart? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Spencer Stuart reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Spencer Stuart CEO Kevin M. Connelly. All 45 reviews posted anonymously by Spencer Stuart employees.