Spencer Technologies (Massachusetts)

Add Photos

David Strickler

Always Late on Payments

Spencer Tech Contractor (Current Employee) Memphis, TN

ProsSome of the best reasons to work here, decent work comes through at a decent price. Not always the greatest but a lot of the project managers will work with you to get increases in pay. I really do enjoy working for some of the project managers here.

ConsCurrently they are 4 weeks behind on payments, and it seems any jobs that are over $200 dont get paid out on time. Right now SpencerTech is behind payments in excess of $1500.00 to myself alone, not to mention the other contractors/employees they utilize. Some individuals in the IT Help Desk Department are very rude and Vulgar. Had an encounter with one individual who was actually cussing over the phone loud enough for the employees at the location I was at to hear him. When i hung up, he called back and threatened me when i didnt answer. I completed the job and closed out the work order. He was mad because I was doing what he wanted me to do because he wasnt on site and couldnt see the actual problem on hand.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet your business right, Pay on time as per the contracts you put out and you will have more professional workers.

People are overworked and under-appreciated.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe people are phenomenal to work with.

Cons100+ hour weeks with no appropriate compensation. Training setting is in shambles. Constant at-work environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementFix your issues with personnel for projects.

Very unorganized, learn some things as you go, no training

Project Manager (Current Employee) Northborough, MA

ProsGrowing company and very busy

ConsUnprofessional work environment; no job review/raise, even after first full year; no bonuses or opportunity to increase pay; no processes in place for work to flow; no training

Advice to Senior ManagementWorkload is unreasonable, for everyone in company, so no one is able to back-fill for any other employee, and everything one employee requests of another constantly has to be checked, to see if the second employee had time to do it

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

horrible

Lead Technician (Former Employee) San Jose, CA

Proscompany manages to get work despite having bad service practices

Conscompany wide poor quality of service

Advice to Senior Managementpay your technicians better

Underwhelming

Technician (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsThe potential to earn a decent living (provided that you live in or near NYC, or possibly LA), Company provided vehicle and gas. Hotel card, and a rather meager "meal compensation."

ConsI write this with regret. I believe a potential could exist for this company, however too many factors would need to be changed in order for it to be a viable recommendation. There is a chasm of disconnect between the expectation of upper management, and that which is possible, regarding travel, physical and mental fatigue etc on a technician. It would be too easy to slur this company, and its retention rate would certainly confirm this, however, and I am being very specific here, if You are single, and have any basic modicum of IT/telephony/cabling, You may enjoy this for a specific amount of time. There is a certain "set up for failure" mentality that pervades this company, and thats rather sad, as it serves some of the highest end retailers in the world(prepare for the customers IT specialists offer's to buy You lunch, out of pity) Which begs the question, is it more cost effective for them to simply do a constant turn around on employees? It is seemingly so, as no true investment whatsoever will be made into You becoming a viable, and long term employee, with a voice and something to contribute. In other words, You will be worked, and You will be spit out.

Advice to Senior ManagementPerhaps do away with minimum wage for traveling? Which can constitute up to half Your time on the clock? One week vacation is absolutely HORRIBLE after what the techs are put thru, physically and mentally. Horrible, and You should be ashamed.

All about the botttom dollar

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Northborough, MA

ProsCo-workers
    Pay was competitive
    Back in the day the company was great to work for

ConsSenior management only cares about bottom dollar
    Company hires people only to lay them off in November every year
    Company does not properly class people as exempt and non-exempt
    Benefits offered are not competitive in the marketplace
    Senior Management promotes the wrong people
    Senior Management tries to grow company too fast

Advice to Senior ManagementStart to actually care about it's employees, without good, quality employees, the company is not successful.

Spencer technologies is a great company to work for if you're not afraid to do some work....

ProsSpencer Technologies has very capable people in many different fields. Being in retail technology the equipment we support and deal with often is new to me, this creates a fantastic opportunity to learn new things. It is amazing to see what Spencer Technologies has accomplished, considering it's size (employee count)...

ConsBeing a smaller company, everyone is expected to give 120% at all times.. This is not a con for me at all, but not everyone can manage this...

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat everyone right, stay up to date on technologies and capabilities..

Spencer Technologies is a wonderful place to work at, for those willing to work!

N/A (Current Employee)

Pros- Smaller company, doing big things
    - A lot of opportunity to gain knowledge in many the many field and with the various types of technologies that the company offers.
    - This is a great company for those that are willing to work hard and thereby get the benefit of adding a LOT of experiences on their resumes that can then benefit them for future jobs or enhancing their career within this company. I've been with the company for less than a year and have learned TONS of new things.

ConsThere's a LOT of work to be done... I do not believe Spencer Technologies is the place for someone that's simply looking for an 8-5 job to pay their bills without having to REALLY work hard for it...

Advice to Senior ManagementStay realistic.. Workload vs People. Either way, the job get's done though, but not everyone can take the heavy workload.

No pay raises

ProsIt's a job while others don't have one.
    Company vehicle

ConsLess than 40 hrs of work per week
    Flat rate jobs
    Travel 3K to 4K miles per month
    No pay raises
    Health benefits poor
    Employees must pay for short term disability if they want it
    No employer 401k contribution

Advice to Senior ManagementStart taking care of your top people or they WILL leave when the economy gets better. When that happens who will support your business since all the top people will be working for someone else.

Worked for Spencer Technologies (Massachusetts)? Contribute to the Community!