Spencer Technologies (Massachusetts)

Updated August 15, 2014
Updated August 15, 2014
2.0

David Strickler

Not a great company at all.

Current Employee - Lead Technician  in  Northborough, MA
    Current Employee - Lead Technician in Northborough, MA

I have been working at Spencer Technologies (Massachusetts) full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Competive pay while you work.
    Hotel card and company phone, labtop, and van.
    New P1 calls help your work week hours.

Cons

Travel pay is only $8.50/ hr.
    Travel hours exceed your work hours.
    20 - 30 hours of work time a week. plus 20- 30 hours of travel.
    Hire new technicians in with no experience at the same pay or higher than the people that have worked for them for years.
    Health insurance won't cover name brand medication.
    We signed on for hourly pay but they give us a lot of flat rate jobs.

Take care of the good technicians you have. You are loosing to many good tech and getting new guys that don't know what they are doing. Increase your travel pay. stop flate rating your techs. They signed a contract for the amout you promised them per hour. They did not sign on to be contractors. Pay them like employees.

Always Late on Payments

Current Employee - Spencer Tech Contractor  in  Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Spencer Tech Contractor in Memphis, TN

I have been working at Spencer Technologies (Massachusetts) as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

Some of the best reasons to work here, decent work comes through at a decent price. Not always the greatest but a lot of the project managers will work with you to get increases in pay. I really do enjoy working for some of the project managers here.

Cons

Currently they are 4 weeks behind on payments, and it seems any jobs that are over $200 dont get paid out on time. Right now SpencerTech is behind payments in excess of $1500.00 to myself alone, not to mention the other contractors/employees they utilize. Some individuals in the IT Help Desk Department are very rude and Vulgar. Had an encounter with one individual who was actually cussing over the phone loud enough for the employees at the location I was at to hear him. When i hung up, he called back and threatened me when i didnt answer. I completed the job and closed out the work order. He was mad because I was doing what he wanted me to do because he wasnt on site and couldnt see the actual problem on hand.

Get your business right, Pay on time as per the contracts you put out and you will have more professional workers.

People are overworked and under-appreciated.

I worked at Spencer Technologies (Massachusetts) full-time

Pros

The people are phenomenal to work with.

Cons

100+ hour weeks with no appropriate compensation. Training setting is in shambles. Constant at-work environment.

Fix your issues with personnel for projects.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Very unorganized, learn some things as you go, no training

Current Employee - Project Manager  in  Northborough, MA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Northborough, MA

Pros

Growing company and very busy

Cons

Unprofessional work environment; no job review/raise, even after first full year; no bonuses or opportunity to increase pay; no processes in place for work to flow; no training

Workload is unreasonable, for everyone in company, so no one is able to back-fill for any other employee, and everything one employee requests of another constantly has to be checked, to see if the second employee had time to do it

horrible

Former Employee - Lead Technician  in  San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Lead Technician in San Jose, CA

I worked at Spencer Technologies (Massachusetts) full-time for more than a year

Pros

company manages to get work despite having bad service practices

Cons

company wide poor quality of service

pay your technicians better

Underwhelming

Former Employee - Technician  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Technician in New York, NY

I worked at Spencer Technologies (Massachusetts) full-time for more than a year

Pros

The potential to earn a decent living (provided that you live in or near NYC, or possibly LA), Company provided vehicle and gas. Hotel card, and a rather meager "meal compensation."

Cons

I write this with regret. I believe a potential could exist for this company, however too many factors would need to be changed in order for it to be a viable recommendation. There is a chasm of disconnect between the expectation of upper management, and that which is possible, regarding travel, physical and mental fatigue etc on a technician. It would be too easy to slur this company, and its retention rate would certainly confirm this, however, and I am being very specific here, if You are single, and have any basic modicum of IT/telephony/cabling, You may enjoy this for a specific amount of time. There is a certain "set up for failure" mentality that pervades this company, and thats rather sad, as it serves some of the highest end retailers in the world(prepare for the customers IT specialists offer's to buy You lunch, out of pity) Which begs the question, is it more cost effective for them to simply do a constant turn around on employees? It is seemingly so, as no true investment whatsoever will be made into You becoming a viable, and long term employee, with a voice and something to contribute. In other words, You will be worked, and You will be spit out.

Perhaps do away with minimum wage for traveling? Which can constitute up to half Your time on the clock? One week vacation is absolutely HORRIBLE after what the techs are put thru, physically and mentally. Horrible, and You should be ashamed.

All about the botttom dollar

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Northborough, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Northborough, MA

I worked at Spencer Technologies (Massachusetts) full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Co-workers
    Pay was competitive
    Back in the day the company was great to work for

Cons

Senior management only cares about bottom dollar
    Company hires people only to lay them off in November every year
    Company does not properly class people as exempt and non-exempt
    Benefits offered are not competitive in the marketplace
    Senior Management promotes the wrong people
    Senior Management tries to grow company too fast

Start to actually care about it's employees, without good, quality employees, the company is not successful.

Spencer technologies is a great company to work for if you're not afraid to do some work....

I have been working at Spencer Technologies (Massachusetts)

Pros

Spencer Technologies has very capable people in many different fields. Being in retail technology the equipment we support and deal with often is new to me, this creates a fantastic opportunity to learn new things. It is amazing to see what Spencer Technologies has accomplished, considering it's size (employee count)...

Cons

Being a smaller company, everyone is expected to give 120% at all times.. This is not a con for me at all, but not everyone can manage this...

Treat everyone right, stay up to date on technologies and capabilities..

Spencer Technologies is a wonderful place to work at, for those willing to work!

Current Employee - N/A
    Current Employee - N/A

I have been working at Spencer Technologies (Massachusetts) full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Smaller company, doing big things
    - A lot of opportunity to gain knowledge in many the many field and with the various types of technologies that the company offers.
    - This is a great company for those that are willing to work hard and thereby get the benefit of adding a LOT of experiences on their resumes that can then benefit them for future jobs or enhancing their career within this company. I've been with the company for less than a year and have learned TONS of new things.

Cons

There's a LOT of work to be done... I do not believe Spencer Technologies is the place for someone that's simply looking for an 8-5 job to pay their bills without having to REALLY work hard for it...

Stay realistic.. Workload vs People. Either way, the job get's done though, but not everyone can take the heavy workload.

No pay raises

I have been working at Spencer Technologies (Massachusetts)

Pros

It's a job while others don't have one.
    Company vehicle

Cons

Less than 40 hrs of work per week
    Flat rate jobs
    Travel 3K to 4K miles per month
    No pay raises
    Health benefits poor
    Employees must pay for short term disability if they want it
    No employer 401k contribution

Start taking care of your top people or they WILL leave when the economy gets better. When that happens who will support your business since all the top people will be working for someone else.

Worked for Spencer Technologies (Massachusetts)? Contribute to the Community!