Spencerian College Reviews

CEO

1. A Great Place to Grow

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Louisville, KY

I have been working at Spencerian College full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Opportunity to Advance -Educational Benefits -Competitive Pay -Professional Environment -Vacation Benefits

Cons

-Some people shouldn't be in their positions

Advice to Management

I enjoy that management is open to hearing suggestions. The only suggestion I would make would be to NOT keep people in positions if they aren't the best fit for the department or organization - it's okay to move people around or fire them if need be...

2. Seems great...is not great.

Former Employee - Career Services Specialist in Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - Career Services Specialist in Louisville, KY

I worked at Spencerian College full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I loved the idea of working for a college and especially in the Career Services Department - helping students reach their employment goals after graduating was rewarding.

Cons

Everything else. The graduates were always mad after they graduate because they realized how much money they were conned out of in admissions for the level of education received. We were expected to meet placement rates either by employment or continuing education or exemptions for placement such as medical or military reasons for not seeking employment. I was once asked to obtain medical "proof" of a woman with a serious medical condition for our records and I refused to invade someone's privacy like that. As an employee you're expected to do all of the things that management would never do themselves - con students, ask for very personal information, work longer hours during holidays and summer months while managers take extended vacations, meet goals that are nearly impossible while management takes credit for them in leadership meetings. I never worked in admissions but I heard stories and I would only suggest that job to someone with little to no moral or ethical wherewithal. I was also paid significantly less than my male coworker in the same position.

Advice to Management

Be willing to do the things you ask of your employees. See students as individuals looking to better their lives not as numbers and cash deposits.

3. Don't let them fool you

Current Employee - Admissions Representative in Lexington-Fayette, KY
    Current Employee - Admissions Representative in Lexington-Fayette, KY

Pros

It was a job, so it's got that going for it. Nothing more I can really say. The location I was at shut down in December and 80 people lost their jobs without warning.

Cons

I'm not even sure where to begin. They lure you in with a decent salary and promises of good hours when in reality you work on salary and are basically always there. Sure they offer paid vacation, but good luck finding a time to be able to use it. You're in constant 'black out' and even if you're not, you're so stressed over not meeting your 'goal' that you can't take time off. In June they fired 80 people and kept a skeleton crew until December before they closed the Lexington campus. There is no job security, the benefits are worthless, and you can forget about a work/life balance.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the terrible upper management. There is no such thing as a 'leader' in this company. And please keep in mind, this is not a school it is a company and their main goal is lining the pockets of self-titled "Chancellor Sullivan" not investing in their students or their future.

5. Assistant Registrar

Current Employee - Assistant Registrar in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Assistant Registrar in Louisville, KY

I have been working at Spencerian College full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Being able to help students pursue their educational goals is very fulfilling. Seeing people walk across the stage at graduation is the highlight of the job.

Cons

Dealing with students can be very difficult. Many do know what there issue is and they want to scream and complain about everything, most are irresponsible and won't admit to their own mistakes.

Advice to Management

Management needs to change with the times. The school is suffering due to lack of leadership and bad management decisions. The old guard needs to go.

RSS Feed </> Embed