Spiceworks Reviews

Updated September 9, 2014
4.6

Spiceworks Co-Founder & CEO Scott Abel
Scott Abel

Spicy work and spicy life

Former Employee - Test Engineer  in  Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Test Engineer in Austin, TX

I worked at Spiceworks as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Very open and friendly company culture. People are very willing to help each other and all have real passions for technology.

Cons

Being far away from the Bay Area,.

Loved it at first, went South in such a bad way

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Austin, TX

I worked at Spiceworks full-time for more than a year

Pros

Lots of perks: free food, fun company events, lots of hype around nerdy stuff.

The "culture" seemed super exciting upon arriving. I often called it the "Disneyland" work place - hell, even our users would visit and were paraded around the office as they told them things about us, as if it were the "Small World" ride. Not sure if this is REALLY a con, as at times it felt weird.

There really are a ton of cool people there. Met some of the nicest, most nerdy people there and I love it!

I also really liked the idea that they wanted to pay down technical debt with "Fix-it Fridays" and improve learning with "Lunch and Learn" events. But... These has issues as well (listed in cons).

The intern project was great. I got to see how a lot of schools are training their students these days, and hopefully imparted some knowledge on those I interacted with.

The products are extremely interesting, and their business model is pretty interesting. They are making bank, and some of the people are having a freakin blast doing it.

Cons

Uber-cliquey. The people that have been there from the early days are self-entitled, and are hypocritical. They use phrases like "culture" and "own your project" as cop-outs whenever it suits them. At first it was too cliquey because there were the "originals," and the "n00bs." I was a n00b. Then it became cliquey because it got so big, you couldn't possibly meet everyone, and you wanted to get to work to feel important.

The number of employees is TOO DAMN HIGH! Too many chefs in the pot for SURE! Everyone goes off and does their own thing though, so working together to solve problems is impossible. The few people that will do it, eventually give up due to needing to get their work done by the enforced deadlines. Then, when you try to integrate your pieces together last second (after you missed the deadline twice) nothing works, and everyone is high strung and tense, and REALLY defensive about their work (which likely was built incorrectly or over-using some crazy Rails magic 1/2 stuff that's not relevant anymore). I felt like the only one that wanted to build products as a TEAM.

Oh yeah... You don't get a say when things will be accomplished, or what should or could get done by said deadline. You just have to do it.
    Problem is, deadlines are this immense pressure, that only a handful of people actual strive for - even if they didn't get a say. Meaning the "culture" was divided in some were hard workers, and some were "life balance" workers... Meaning they didn't work and often found ways out of it (extra long lunches, repeated "office visits" for the same thing that SHOULDN'T be done twice, like a root canal on the same tooth, etc).

Titles meant nothing when I started, and at some point they too became cop-outs. You didn't need a manager to be your point of contact, but the growth we went under certainly required it. However, in some cases, going out on your own meant you stepped on toes - but then again asking for resources from the manager would mean you were not owning the project.

The product is a mess. Super old technology (12+ years) mixed with brand new tech (< 24mo), and tons of duct tape, bubble gum, and string in between. As a senior engineer, job satisfaction was at an ALL TIME LOW. I've worked on products that were poorly implemented, hell - even used the wrong technology.... But the cluster-bomb their apps are, it's difficult to take pride or conjure excitement to work with the likes of a Rails 1/2 frankenstein, Prototype JS, etc.

Fix it Fridays were poorly implemented. A single day to remove an entire library that was used for the last 8 years? OK, that should be easy to fix in a day... NOT! Oh, so I can spend the next 3 months of every other Friday to fix it? Cool... Except when I'm finally done, the merge conflicts always totally screw stuff up for a few more weeks, and new features were implemented in the old library, meanwhile some of the conflicts you've been fixing have been refactored and now are bigger conflicts.... It's literally a never-ending job of cleaning up something you just fixed.

Lunch and Learns.... Not sure I ever learned a single thing. At first, I went every Wednesday and was the first one there to get a front row seat. I was excited at this idea - it took almost a year for it to wear off. Eventually I'd often go to just get the free food, mingle for a few minutes while I scarfed it down before the meeting, and then would head back down to be productive. The general feeling was that "it was pointless, but hey - free food!"

No future? I might be wrong here, but I'm certain the goal of the founders is to sell out. Constant talk of IPO, preparing for it, even though "we're not sure we want to do that" and constant claims of "what it would take to buy us out."

You should have listened to the few of us wanting to better things. Everyone feels it, but too chicken to say anything.

Nothing I said here should be a surprise to anyone there, plenty of people were saying these things, yet no one wanted to do anything about it or talk to the executive team.

Scott, Greg, Francis, You need to get more involved!!!! That is, if you want to KEEP your company.

Getting too big

Current Employee - Account Executive  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Austin, TX

I have been working at Spiceworks full-time for more than a year

Pros

Kitchen with free food and snacks, C-level who want a well run company, Friday company meetings where all departments come together.

Cons

Company is growing too fast. Not enough competent sales managers. C-level knows what management tells them but not what really goes on.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It's OK

I have been working at Spiceworks

Pros

Lots of free food, for example, Taco Mondays, Bagel Fridays and snacks galore. It seems they give raises when deserved but that also probably depends on the department. The work can be challenging and I'm encouraged to push myself outside of my comfort zone.

Cons

It's cliquey and the layout of the building segregates the departments so it's hard to meet people. Sales gets the most perks and other teams associated with them kind of slip through the cracks in terms of rewards and recognition. If you're in sales, it's a great gig. We usually have more work than we can handle which can be stressful.

"I wasn't born in this company but I got here as fast as I could"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at Spiceworks full-time for more than a year

Pros

Fun, and empowerment, and fun. Did I mention fun?
    Yes, every company wants to think that they're fun to work for, but few walk the walk. Many company Web sites have pics of employees looking like they're really enjoying themselves. However, the proof of the pudding is whether said employees will 1. have positive things to say about the company and 2. actually care enough to tell everybody about it. This review is one piece of the proof that _YOU_, too, want to get here ASAP.

Cons

I feel that, at least in the Development group, the structure is quite loose. If one needs a reasonably structured engineering environments, one might not fit well here.

None. You guys are doing great at your prime directive: make Spiceworks a fun place to work.

Marcom Manager

Current Employee - Marketing Communications Manager  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Marketing Communications Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at Spiceworks full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Smart, dedicated, fun coworkers who have become like family to me.

Cons

I don't think of this as a con, but if the "pros" are that I feel surrounded (and supported) by smart, dedicated, fun coworkers, then the con would be if you're not dedicated, smart or fun you probably won't like it much here. :)

Awesome startup experience

Current Employee - Software Developer  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Austin, TX

I have been working at Spiceworks full-time for less than a year

Pros

Everyone is pretty awesome here
    Founders are real people who interact with the rest of us
    No stagnation
    Great work-life balance
    Free snacks and catered breakfast every Monday and Friday

Cons

Growing pains like crazy! We're got hockeystick growth here!
    Benefits could be better, but it's not a huge deal. It'll get better once we're out of the startup phase.
    The pace may be too fast for some

I've got nothing. I love management here.

Great experience, can be somewhat tough

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Spiceworks full-time for less than a year

Pros

Nice coworkers, good benefits, great work environment and learning experience, personal growth

Cons

Feedback sometimes not heard, hours can get sorta long, need to be more involved with company growth

Listen to the people that work under you. They know what they do better than anyone else. Be sure to include them in any sort of developments that you are looking to make, because they'll probably consider things you never thought about.

Keep in line with your current values, no matter how big the company gets. Make sure that the company remains a fun and productive place to work.

Great place to work!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Spiceworks full-time for more than a year

Pros

This is an amazing company that's growing quickly. With an excellent company culture, awesome/brilliant employees, and a fun environment, it's hard not to have an amazing experience here. I've never worked somewhere the employees are able to know so much about the trajectory and growth of the company. Every single employee in the building is valued and trusted. Employees are able to be creative and think on their feet.

Cons

The pace is extremely fast and some employees find it hard to keep up. Since we are still growing and figuring out the lay of the land, not many processes are in place so we're often having to zig and zag (a popular company term). The work life balance can be tough at times - but is worth it in the end since it's such an amazing place to be!

Work hard, play hard

I have been working at Spiceworks full-time for more than a year

Pros

Company culture is like no other, and the CEO goes the extra length to ensure this. Everyone supports and respects each other. There's a lot of hard work that goes into everything we do, but we are well rewarded. Really a treat to walk into these doors each day to be greeted by family.

Cons

Feel very connected to the CEO, but not to the other founders.

Worked for Spiceworks? Contribute to the Community!