Spiceworks

Spiceworks Reviews

Updated Jul 31, 2014

Spiceworks Co-Founder & CEO Scott Abel

Scott Abel

"I wasn't born in this company but I got here as fast as I could"

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsFun, and empowerment, and fun. Did I mention fun?
    Yes, every company wants to think that they're fun to work for, but few walk the walk. Many company Web sites have pics of employees looking like they're really enjoying themselves. However, the proof of the pudding is whether said employees will 1. have positive things to say about the company and 2. actually care enough to tell everybody about it. This review is one piece of the proof that _YOU_, too, want to get here ASAP.

ConsI feel that, at least in the Development group, the structure is quite loose. If one needs a reasonably structured engineering environments, one might not fit well here.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone. You guys are doing great at your prime directive: make Spiceworks a fun place to work.

It's OK

ProsLots of free food, for example, Taco Mondays, Bagel Fridays and snacks galore. It seems they give raises when deserved but that also probably depends on the department. The work can be challenging and I'm encouraged to push myself outside of my comfort zone.

ConsIt's cliquey and the layout of the building segregates the departments so it's hard to meet people. Sales gets the most perks and other teams associated with them kind of slip through the cracks in terms of rewards and recognition. If you're in sales, it's a great gig. We usually have more work than we can handle which can be stressful.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Marcom Manager

Marketing Communications Manager (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsSmart, dedicated, fun coworkers who have become like family to me.

ConsI don't think of this as a con, but if the "pros" are that I feel surrounded (and supported) by smart, dedicated, fun coworkers, then the con would be if you're not dedicated, smart or fun you probably won't like it much here. :)

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Awesome startup experience

Software Developer (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsEveryone is pretty awesome here
    Founders are real people who interact with the rest of us
    No stagnation
    Great work-life balance
    Free snacks and catered breakfast every Monday and Friday

ConsGrowing pains like crazy! We're got hockeystick growth here!
    Benefits could be better, but it's not a huge deal. It'll get better once we're out of the startup phase.
    The pace may be too fast for some

Advice to Senior ManagementI've got nothing. I love management here.

Great experience, can be somewhat tough

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsNice coworkers, good benefits, great work environment and learning experience, personal growth

ConsFeedback sometimes not heard, hours can get sorta long, need to be more involved with company growth

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the people that work under you. They know what they do better than anyone else. Be sure to include them in any sort of developments that you are looking to make, because they'll probably consider things you never thought about.

Keep in line with your current values, no matter how big the company gets. Make sure that the company remains a fun and productive place to work.

Great place to work!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsThis is an amazing company that's growing quickly. With an excellent company culture, awesome/brilliant employees, and a fun environment, it's hard not to have an amazing experience here. I've never worked somewhere the employees are able to know so much about the trajectory and growth of the company. Every single employee in the building is valued and trusted. Employees are able to be creative and think on their feet.

ConsThe pace is extremely fast and some employees find it hard to keep up. Since we are still growing and figuring out the lay of the land, not many processes are in place so we're often having to zig and zag (a popular company term). The work life balance can be tough at times - but is worth it in the end since it's such an amazing place to be!

Work hard, play hard

ProsCompany culture is like no other, and the CEO goes the extra length to ensure this. Everyone supports and respects each other. There's a lot of hard work that goes into everything we do, but we are well rewarded. Really a treat to walk into these doors each day to be greeted by family.

ConsFeel very connected to the CEO, but not to the other founders.

Always growing

ProsLove working with the people there
    Culture

ConsTraining
    Felt a little like a bait and switch with what I ended up doing
    Never feel like you are on your feet

Advice to Senior ManagementReally need to make sure they know what they need to do and how to do it when they are evaluating what to put in the job posting.

Awesome place to work!

Administrative (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsComprised of smart, driven people operating in a very open, respectful culture
    Growing - which creates career advancement opportunities
    Lots of folks who work out at lunch in groups
    Set on winning - but having fun along the way

ConsPace is quick - you've got to juggle many things
    Bringing a new business model to the industry - so you have to figure some things out as you go

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you are doing!
    This is the best place I've worked in last 5.

Love this place

ProsGreat business model, smart people, exciting work, fun environment, caring and collaborative culture - lots of cool stuff going on here as far as where technology marketing and advertising meets social media. There is a prevailing sense of humor that is very refreshing, even in the midst of a critical deadline. This is a very innovative and creative place.

ConsThe benefits could be more robust, but they are pretty good

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing!

Worked for Spiceworks? Contribute to the Community!