Spiceworks

Updated November 13, 2014
4.4

Spiceworks Co-Founder & CEO Scott Abel
Scott Abel

Fast paced, passionate and fun company!

I have been working at Spiceworks full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Spiceworks is a place where employees are encouraged to innovate and grow. The leadership team fosters an environment that is hard-working and fun. Its a company full of passionate people who own their successes and failures. Learning and innovating is paramount in everything we do.

Cons

Growing pains - when a company grows as fast as Spiceworks does there are growing pains and changes that happen.

They've done a great job of preserving the culture as we grow so my advice would be to continue to maintain that. Also provide training to those managers we grow from within.

Wonderful Summer Internship

Former Employee - Test Engineer in Austin, TX

I worked at Spiceworks as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

I loved interning at Spiceworks! There are employees of all ages, so the work-life balance must be great. For example, I worked with a guy with two kids as well as a fairly recent college grad. The CEOs are very open, and the company itself is very transparent. The interns even had a chance to speak with the founders and ask them questions. The company culture is fast-paced and exciting. They really care about their customers, and have events like Spiceworld to interact with their users.

Cons

There is some pressure and the company is pretty fast-paced. However, there is a "Fix It" Friday where old projects are revisited.

Wish I could give ZERO stars

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Austin, TX

I worked at Spiceworks full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Free food, beer Fridays, and the luxury of feeling comfortable destroying an already crapily built product. Oh, wait.. this is the PROs section, not CONS.

Cons

Everyone there is an idiot. They're blinded by the free stuff and heavily-charged multimedia they pump out that they forget they're actually there to DO WORK!

QUIT PLAYING ALL THE TIME! I felt like I was the only one who even cared... Which I can see from a few other employees they felt the same way. I used to think some of the earlier guys that have since left were just jerks, but it turns out they were jaded and burned out by poor management, and no real vision for a product.

There's plenty of good people there, but clearly they feel "trapped." Some got stock options that were below a dollar, and they are now over $5. Yeah I'd probably stay to vest my stocks too, even if it meant being miserable for a few years. And trust me, there are TONS of miserable people there.

It stopped feeling like a fun place to work as soon as management shifted around, and entitled jerks were the ones calling the shots, without having any actual management or process-chain experience. SDLC guys... SDLC. Get with the times.

At this point, there's nowhere to go but down. The goal of the founders are to sell out, even though they lie to your faces saying they're not interested in that. "But one day we might be, so we should be prepared for that"

That means: 1) Grow really fast. Too fast to have any individuals feel comfortable or to do any valuable work. 2) Ignore the issues. We just need to get to the finish line. 3) Practically STEAL money from users, clients, and vendors. This is like a 12yr long conversation over that one. 4) Give up on personal growth, or any skill advancements. Again, we're not in this to thrive, we're in it to sell out.

I hated it there, but kept my mouth shut. Boy do I wish I didn't.

Die in a fire. Fire 90% of the staff, and restart.

Red Flags for new Sales recruits

Current Employee - Account Executive
    Current Employee - Account Executive

I have been working at Spiceworks full-time

Pros

very little work, lots of free drinking, two hour plus lunches, come late leave early encouraged, lots of fun party music playing around the clock, drinking, expense accounts, paid days off for company events. Training takes 3 weeks and requires nothing from either the trainers or trainees, just enjoy the ride. Drinking alcohol while at work. No boundaries between management-team (you can be best friends!). SW reminds me of college--not a compliment. The dress code, rush for free food, consistent party atmosphere and misguided pretension its very much a college mindset. If you just graduated and arent quite ready to work for a living or add value to anything more than just intrusive web advertisements this is a great place to get a year of experience or so.

Cons

Founders have stated that revenue from advertisements won't get this company into the black--yet ad sales are all you can as a new sales recruit. There are 90 reps across the world vying for 500 possible accounts. You will not hit quota.
    Basically ignored during training-on boarding-initial quarter ramp-not held accountable for anything
    You will leave here with zero viable experience. As an Inside Rep you will not be managing six figure ad buys. You will prospect, demo products and hang out.
    Sales Managers are often offensive, shockingly crude, sexist and idiotic. Grow up gents, you're adults and there is no reason to act like this in your careers.

Move your fun drinking filled Friday meetings to Monday. Please watch for the behavior of management in the sales pit---it can be quite shocking and embarrassing. My first day I was told "You are HR's problem for the next three weeks"----is not great a culture to be new to.

Fantastic!

I have been working at Spiceworks

Pros

Great company culture, very warm and welcoming towards everyone. Typical tech start up environment; laid back and casual but results oriented.

Cons

Some of the groups are very clique-y and there isn't too much cross departmental interaction. Lots of fun perks but a fast paced environment; it may look low key but there's a lot of work to be a done and enough pressure to keep busy

Great first full-time job for new graduate

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Spiceworks full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Lots of things about this company are great, but the best thing is the people you work with. Everyone I have worked with thus far has been very nice, intelligent and understanding. I love how creative people in different departments are and how you can get to know each other even if you don't work together either from working out together during lunch or just chatting in the kitchen or during the company meeting.

The company is very transparent about it's goals and its progress weekly. You learn a lot about the business in general and how your work fits in with everything else. They are quick to address any rumors or problems within the company. The company culture is very important to many of the employees and they don't tolerate people with bad attitudes. I've seen a couple of people let go because of questionable things they have done or said.

The company structure is pretty loose, at least in development. There are teams, but leads do not micromanage work as they would at a corporate company. There are no strict work hours and the dress code is casual.

There are some perks people may also like, like free catered lunch every now and then, endless snacks and drinks in the kitchen, and breakfast tacos and bagels on Monday and Friday. There is also a really awesome referral bonus program.

Cons

There are definitely growing pains. I was a bit embarrassed when we had summer interns come in and there were no real desks for them to sit at so we had to make temporary work stations or had them share desk space.

The vacation time is less than some other companies around town, but it's pretty standard. The health benefits could be better as well.

The pay could be way better. I think a lot of people are underpaid. If this place wasn't so fun to work at, I would have left already.

I think there needs to be a bit more structure. Some people in upper management are spread really thin. They should really consider making teams smaller and giving newer (but not extremely new) employees more responsibilities and compensate them for their efforts.

Loved it at first, went South in such a bad way

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Austin, TX

I worked at Spiceworks full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Lots of perks: free food, fun company events, lots of hype around nerdy stuff.

The "culture" seemed super exciting upon arriving. I often called it the "Disneyland" work place - hell, even our users would visit and were paraded around the office as they told them things about us, as if it were the "Small World" ride. Not sure if this is REALLY a con, as at times it felt weird.

There really are a ton of cool people there. Met some of the nicest, most nerdy people there and I love it!

I also really liked the idea that they wanted to pay down technical debt with "Fix-it Fridays" and improve learning with "Lunch and Learn" events. But... These has issues as well (listed in cons).

The intern project was great. I got to see how a lot of schools are training their students these days, and hopefully imparted some knowledge on those I interacted with.

The products are extremely interesting, and their business model is pretty interesting. They are making bank, and some of the people are having a freakin blast doing it.

Cons

Uber-cliquey. The people that have been there from the early days are self-entitled, and are hypocritical. They use phrases like "culture" and "own your project" as cop-outs whenever it suits them. At first it was too cliquey because there were the "originals," and the "n00bs." I was a n00b. Then it became cliquey because it got so big, you couldn't possibly meet everyone, and you wanted to get to work to feel important.

The number of employees is TOO DAMN HIGH! Too many chefs in the pot for SURE! Everyone goes off and does their own thing though, so working together to solve problems is impossible. The few people that will do it, eventually give up due to needing to get their work done by the enforced deadlines. Then, when you try to integrate your pieces together last second (after you missed the deadline twice) nothing works, and everyone is high strung and tense, and REALLY defensive about their work (which likely was built incorrectly or over-using some crazy Rails magic 1/2 stuff that's not relevant anymore). I felt like the only one that wanted to build products as a TEAM.

Oh yeah... You don't get a say when things will be accomplished, or what should or could get done by said deadline. You just have to do it.
    Problem is, deadlines are this immense pressure, that only a handful of people actual strive for - even if they didn't get a say. Meaning the "culture" was divided in some were hard workers, and some were "life balance" workers... Meaning they didn't work and often found ways out of it (extra long lunches, repeated "office visits" for the same thing that SHOULDN'T be done twice, like a root canal on the same tooth, etc).

Titles meant nothing when I started, and at some point they too became cop-outs. You didn't need a manager to be your point of contact, but the growth we went under certainly required it. However, in some cases, going out on your own meant you stepped on toes - but then again asking for resources from the manager would mean you were not owning the project.

The product is a mess. Super old technology (12+ years) mixed with brand new tech (< 24mo), and tons of duct tape, bubble gum, and string in between. As a senior engineer, job satisfaction was at an ALL TIME LOW. I've worked on products that were poorly implemented, hell - even used the wrong technology.... But the cluster-bomb their apps are, it's difficult to take pride or conjure excitement to work with the likes of a Rails 1/2 frankenstein, Prototype JS, etc.

Fix it Fridays were poorly implemented. A single day to remove an entire library that was used for the last 8 years? OK, that should be easy to fix in a day... NOT! Oh, so I can spend the next 3 months of every other Friday to fix it? Cool... Except when I'm finally done, the merge conflicts always totally screw stuff up for a few more weeks, and new features were implemented in the old library, meanwhile some of the conflicts you've been fixing have been refactored and now are bigger conflicts.... It's literally a never-ending job of cleaning up something you just fixed.

Lunch and Learns.... Not sure I ever learned a single thing. At first, I went every Wednesday and was the first one there to get a front row seat. I was excited at this idea - it took almost a year for it to wear off. Eventually I'd often go to just get the free food, mingle for a few minutes while I scarfed it down before the meeting, and then would head back down to be productive. The general feeling was that "it was pointless, but hey - free food!"

No future? I might be wrong here, but I'm certain the goal of the founders is to sell out. Constant talk of IPO, preparing for it, even though "we're not sure we want to do that" and constant claims of "what it would take to buy us out."

You should have listened to the few of us wanting to better things. Everyone feels it, but too chicken to say anything.

Nothing I said here should be a surprise to anyone there, plenty of people were saying these things, yet no one wanted to do anything about it or talk to the executive team.

Scott, Greg, Francis, You need to get more involved!!!! That is, if you want to KEEP your company.

Getting too big

Current Employee - Account Executive in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Austin, TX

I have been working at Spiceworks full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Kitchen with free food and snacks, C-level who want a well run company, Friday company meetings where all departments come together.

Cons

Company is growing too fast. Not enough competent sales managers. C-level knows what management tells them but not what really goes on.

Spicy work and spicy life

Former Employee - Test Engineer in Austin, TX

I worked at Spiceworks as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Very open and friendly company culture. People are very willing to help each other and all have real passions for technology.

Cons

Being far away from the Bay Area,.

It's OK

I have been working at Spiceworks

Pros

Lots of free food, for example, Taco Mondays, Bagel Fridays and snacks galore. It seems they give raises when deserved but that also probably depends on the department. The work can be challenging and I'm encouraged to push myself outside of my comfort zone.

Cons

It's cliquey and the layout of the building segregates the departments so it's hard to meet people. Sales gets the most perks and other teams associated with them kind of slip through the cracks in terms of rewards and recognition. If you're in sales, it's a great gig. We usually have more work than we can handle which can be stressful.