Spiegel

Add Photos

Elaine Sugimura

A good first job

Assistant Buyer (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsHands on training, very friendly co-workers, ok benefits

ConsOpportunities for advancement were limited, as company was downsizing.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in developing current employees.

Fine place to work

Design Assistant (Former Employee) New York, NY

Prosfair policies, solid company, liked co-workers.

Consthey don't promote from within, so there really isn't opportunity for advancement. It started off fun but turned more of a job than a career. They also expect VERY long hours.

I loved working for Spiegel.

Executive Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) Downers Grove, IL

ProsGreat company, leadership and employees.

ConsMoved to NY - unable to stay with the company

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I worked for Spiegel for nearly 20 years. For most of that time, it was a great place to work.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Downers Grove, IL

ProsGreat ownership from Otto Versand

ConsHeavy reliance on private label credit card

ugh

Buyer (Former Employee) New York, NY

Prosonly pro was the people I worked with

Consbad management, poor decisions, payment issues

Great opportunity to learn the business..for almost no salary

Planner (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsEveryone works incredibly hard. If you have ideas on ways to make the business better, they let you run with them. If you are smart and work hard, you will get promoted a lot.

ConsThe business model is obviously failing -- if you can't afford to pay your vendors to make new product, and can only sell try to sell overstocked product that didn't sell the first time around, that's obviously a losing proposition. Unfortunately, senior management thinks the solution to this problem is to have half as many people do twice the work, while being grossly undercompensated. The result is an office that is a constant revolving door.

Advice to Senior Management1. Cutting costs does not = growing sales. 2. If your only remaining customers are senior citizens, its time to reconsider your merchandising.

Back to High School

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsThere is a chance to learn a lot about the business. Sample sales.

ConsEverything is personal here and that attitude seems to be encouraged by senior management. They have a long history of financial trouble but keep hanging on, which makes for very little job security especially considering how much BS you're expected to take.

Advice to Senior ManagementInsanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. (Albert Einstein)

Almost slavery

Sourcing Manager (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsNice location, interesting product to work on, challenging

ConsExpected to wear many more hats than you get paid for, and do an unreasonable amount of work in a short period of time. Upper management lacks understanding in what it takes to get the job done and oversimplifies tasks.
    Very poor HR. They lie to employees, and contribute to creating an almost slavery like environment.
    I wasn't paid for work I performed, and often paid very late. So, I guess it was slavery ,except I had the option to leave.

Advice to Senior ManagementLeave before your reputation catches up with you.

Micro-managerial culture and favoritism.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsGiven a lot of responsibilities and wore many hats. The company is well known and historic in the industry: Older than Sears.

ConsHigh expectations when delegated too many responsibilities. Stressful and unappreciative work environment. Favoritism based appearance and unions rather than performance. Micro-managerial culture.

Advice to Senior ManagementMicro managing needs to be eliminated. Praise and compensation is needed to boost employee morale. Direction needs to be more organized and less erratic.

Okay

ProsEverybody was easy to work with and very compromising to my school schedule.

ConsThe store did not stay open very long after I was hired.

Worked for Spiegel? Contribute to the Community!