Spin Master

Updated Jul 8, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Ronnen Harary

Used to be a great place to work.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsExcellent benefits and salary. Many good employees on a personal and creative level.

ConsVery poor human resources team. Liabilities abound. In accurate records. I would only recommend you work her based on the benefits and salary.

Advice to Senior ManagementPut an HR team in place that knows labor laws, health and other benefit information rather than just refereeing employees to a website to figure it out for themselves. Better yet, save the company's finances and dissolve that department.

Like a bad STORM!

Retail Merchandiser (Former Employee)
    Dallas, TX

ProsRetail Merchandising had its flexibility with making your own schedule and determining your own travel. Full benefits and they gave mileage for all the driving that has to be done.

ConsRetail merchandising was run by people who don't have the required skills to do their jobs. Management is untrained and under qualified. Not a healthy environment and its why there is so many people that quit after 4 weeks. All decisions are made last minute and leaves everyone to scramble. Always working out of fear and never felt jobs were safe, and management wanted us working in fear. Like a bad STORM the damage is felt for a long time.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou should listen to the feedback the reps give you instead of threatening layoffs. You should seek more training.

Don't do it to yourself

Culver City, CA

ProsSome really great co-workers and decent office energy. Fun games lunches when you aren't swamped. Occasionally someone will want your actual opinion. Benefits are good.

ConsLots of testosterone and chest-pounding. No respect for personal boundaries. Poor management style and a serious lack of responsibility taken at the executive level. Upper management enjoys pointing fingers and jumping to conclusions. Meetings always hold a shouting match at some point. This is not a place to go if you want to learn and grow, consider this a stepping stone should you choose to take a position there.

Advice to Senior ManagementRecognize the talent in your offices and encourage growth. Review your hiring practices.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Graphic Designer

ProsGreat atmosphere - toys everywhere! Employees are great to work with. Cool projects to work on. Free toys during the holidays. Game lunches on Fridays. Off-site brainstorms.

ConsOverworked - team cut down. No new hires for a while. Executives make changes last minute delaying projects and no one is held accountable for it.

you dont have a future with this company, dont even know if this company has a future

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosflexible hours, giveaways (toys) during christmas holidays. great place to start off for graphic designers, toy developers, and even fresh grad engineers.

Consvery disorganized company with no clear vision on how to achieve their goals. plus, being privately owned doesnt really help, with the owners having expertise mostly in sales/product development and no idea on how to run a company. if you work in an operations type of job, then stay away from this place.

Advice to Senior Managementstop hiring these execs that bring their WHOLE team of execs in from their previous company.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Lack of Leadership with Storm Merchandising.

Retail Sales Merchandiser (Current Employee)
    Los Angeles, CA

ProsGreat co-workers and have a decent benefits package. Hours are 9-5 when you are not expected to work extra. Compensation is fair compared to what others in the industry are getting.

ConsWe are not allowed to be creative and are controlled in every aspect which makes it an unhealthy environment. Not kept informed on how the company is doing which always leaves you wondering about the future.

Advice to Senior ManagementStorm Merchandising management has no leadership or people skills. Management does not know anything about our jobs, and really needs to be open to listening to our ideas and concerns. You require more management skills in order to be effective leading a team.

Lack or constant changing of direction from the top lead to a lot of fighting at the bottom.

Engineer (Former Employee)
    Los Angeles, CA

ProsFree toys once a year! Nice offices.

ConsRidiculous amount of politics made it difficult to focus on results. Much work never made it to fruition. Worker well being was not a priority. For example, they were moving offices around, dry-walled our office at night. The drywall dust was heavy in the air and think on our workspaces. We were expected to work that day. This is just one example.

Advice to Senior ManagementStick with your core competencies. When hiring outside these , remember there is a lot of talk, and not much

Good Company, Slow times.

Product Development (Current Employee)

ProsGreat People
    Highly Talented Staff
    Management keeps staff involved in decision making processes
    High degree of genuine cooperation between disciplines working toward common goals

ConsGrew quickly without the best systems in place.
    Upper management changing direction so often that it didn't give teams enough time to react.
    Long hours
    Layoffs resulting from drop in sales due to economic climate.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to staff when a product line is far beyond target cost and reassess, putting those resources toward product that is within target. Focus on core business, do not branch out to new areas when struggling with a down economy.

Not as fun as you would think...

Retail Sales Merchandiser (Former Employee)
    Jacksonville, NC

ProsHad some good products and some flexibility in job as Sales merchandiser
    Benefits weren't bad

ConsNo training what so ever. Corporate and field big disconnect. No trust amongst field people. Wanting reps to do unethical things at store level. Managers were a joke as well as operations. Grew to fast and became to arrogant. Some good product but not enough to compete with real big boys like Hasbro and Mattel. Evaluations were a joke. You could be a superstar but still get the same evaluation as everyone else. Couldn't get answers to new product arrival and tech training. Pay low and bonus is a joke.

Advice to Senior ManagementSlow down and let the people be creative. For an entrepreneurial company, they kept you within the box at all times. Management needs to go back to roots and start over. Ben and Anton are little too busy playing with Hollywood and celebs and should focus more on company.

STORM Retail Merchandising Was A Real "Natural Disaster"

Retail Merchandiser (Former Employee)
    Atlanta, GA

ProsFun product made it enjoyable to sell and merchandise. Great co-workers and the flexibility to create your own schedule for the day with great hours of 9-5. All reporting was done electronically which made things easier.

ConsManager had no idea how to manage a team and had no idea or concept of merchandising. The 2012 Christmas coupon project had unrealistic deadlines and was very badly managed right from the start. We were treated like robots and expected to be available for work 7 days a week, and to work beyond the 9-5 hours and not get paid for it. I was glad when I was chosen to be part of the mass layoffs in the department because we could no longer be productive with the direction the manager was taking it. Everything was done last minute and always resulted in us missing opportunities because of bad planning. Never any consistency we were always reacting but were always to late costing the company a lot of money in potential sales. Supervisors were forced to buy in to the managers system even though they didn't agree with it. This department really was like a bad STORM with lots of damage done! Cleanup will take a very long time!

Advice to Senior ManagementYou need to understand what it is that you are managing, and plan for things rather than reacting last second and putting unrealistic deadlines on the team. You need to treat your employees better and trust that we know how to do our jobs better than you.

Worked for Spin Master? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Spin Master reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Spin Master CEO Ronnen Harary. All 42 reviews posted anonymously by Spin Master employees.