SpinMedia

www.spinmedia.com

SpinMedia Reviews

Updated Jul 11, 2014

Dale Strang

Good introduction to the media side of the entertainment industry

Integrated Marketing Intern (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsI loved the team I worked with! I learned a lot about integrated marketing in the entertainment industry and left with a lot of valuable skills for the future. Some of my favorite experiences were working on my own projects, sitting in on meetings, contributing creative ideas, and bagel Friday's.

ConsUnpaid for the amount of work you do. I sensed that there wasn't a lot of camaraderie between departments. Lack of organization. Not a lot of morale because of downsizing.

Advice to Senior ManagementI think top management should be people who are actually in the know with pop culture.

Great job out of college

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsLots of hands-on experience. The small teams mean you get a lot of responsibility - so you won't be running to get coffee. Great co-workers.

ConsLots of cliques and gossip in the office, which is difficult to avoid.

Ad Operations

Ad Ops (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsGreat learning experience - both personally and professionally.

ConsOffice culture involved a lot of favoritism.

Advice to Senior ManagementInspire your team.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Decent internship for those who want to work in the entertainment industry.

Editorial Assistant (Former Employee) West Hollywood, CA

ProsGreat coworkers and fellow interns were quite welcoming to newcomers. Break room is fully stocked with just about any caffeinated beverage you could want. A couple really great heads in certain departments.

ConsAs with many internships, this internship is unpaid. The amount of work required should give some type of compensation. You will be doing a full days work EVERY day.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your interns if you are going to have them fulfill the responsibilities of a full time employee.

Hands-on Internship Experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Hollywood, CA

ProsEditorial interns receive hands-on experience with writing and publishing, which means a.) no menial tasks, and b.) interns leave with skills and clips that can be useful for future opportunities. The atmosphere is youthful and laid back.

ConsThe company has been downsizing recently, which means an increasingly empty and quiet office environment - morale doesn't appear to be on the high side.

Avoid this place like the plague

Manager (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsNone, SpinMedia has no money and you pay for you own expenses in advance. If you are morbidly curious enough to get hired here, you will be issued a used dated computer. At least you get bags of chips though in a stockroom.

ConsNo leadership, no experience in entertainment or music, no direction, no money, 90's grade technology and mindset. After all, anybody can put up a Wordpress site. The tech team is comprised of the former amateurs from Demand Media, who seem to only hire people less talented than them only from Demand Media. The CTO's only experience is he built a PlayStation 2 fan website and that's sadly what SpinMedia's future technology has been based on and the sole reason why they can't generate enterprise revenues. Its amazing how this tech team continues to keep their jobs when they turn out nothing new year after year and the company continues to lose money. On the music and entertainment side, 90% of the uninspiring blogs you read on the site are from interns wrangled into a room with little to no experience on music or entertainment. SpinMedia bought VIBE and put the current CEO in charge of it, the whitest guy ever. He got hired simply because he is the owners neighbor in San Francisco. He has no experience in this type of business whatsoever. Ask him to name 3 modern urban or rap songs, or name the artist on the first VIBE cover, he will sadly not know. Same with SPIN. What was historically one of the best independent mags is now run people who don't go to concerts nor listen to music, but instead read other peoples blogs for material. The atmosphere in NY and LA is a quiet and eerie vibe that nobody wants to be there, and there is the continual "what's going on here" or "what is going to happen to us next" fear instead of being a fun company. So until the 2 clueless guys who own this company sell it to a true music or entertainment entity, this place will be a sad existence and I would stay away from it at all costs. As a fan of these magazines, its really sad to see them get run into the ground from these clueless people.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo the 2 current owners and CEO, do the world a favor and sell this company to a music minded company & team. Your current CEO used to work for a video game company. Truly sad.

Sinking ship or Dumpster Fire...you pick

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsTalented and creative coworkers. Flexible hours

ConsThis place is a sinking ship. If they call you looking to offer you a position, just run away. If you're a freelance contributor, just block them from your inbox now because that's what they'll do when you start asking about getting paid.

SpinMedia (formerly BuzzMedia) is in the business of buying sites more successful/known then what they have in hopes of increasing traffic to their other sites and to impress investors.

I had the displeasure of joining SpinMedia by way of acquisition. Before we were bought, life was great and filled with creative and fulfilling challenges. The organization was flat and everyone was equal. Once SpinMedia took over, they replaced their CEO three times and never promoted within. Instead they hired friends, and not one of them were qualified for their jobs. Especially the senior tech people they hired, these people were entry level jokes with friends in high places.

I won't get started with the HR team, but the HR staff are basically entry level secretaries. Pretty faces with empty heads who spend more time spying on co-workers and stabbing them in the back every chance they get. Most of the other reviews here are written by them.

This probably sounds like general whining, but take a moment and look into the Senior Execs that were actually qualified for their jobs that bailed from this company over the last couple of years. They saw this dumpster fire for what it was: a poorly organized/operated company with no real future outside of massive layoffs and eventual sale.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart over. You aren't qualified for this role. The board should start by hitting reset on the tech Execs, and then maybe get a real HR team.

Ok

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsSome people are friendly, interesting company

ConsMostly a cliquey environment, the company is struggling to make money

Fun / Exciting / Creative Place to Work

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsWorking alongside incredible people in a creative environment where there is plenty of opportunity to grow both personally and professionally.

ConsThis organization has seen a lot of change in the past year - change that will allow for positive future growth, but has left some employees feeling unclear about what comes next.

Advice to Senior ManagementConstantly communicate your vision to employees. For a company that is spread out across multiple locations, it's important for everyone to always feel the same level of excitement and energy around our plan for the future.

Great place to work if you're willing to put the time in, but has startup characteristics which can be good and bad.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsWork culture, perks (catered lunch on Thursdays and bagels on Fridays), advertising/marketing/media knowledge within the music and entertainment industry are amazing!

ConsSome departments are highly unorganized and there is no clear vision.

Worked for SpinMedia? Contribute to the Community!